The Largest Cavalry Charge in History

Goonerview

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
The siege of Vienna on September 12th 1683

“At around 6:00 pm the Polish king ordered the cavalry attack in four groups, three Polish and one from the Holy Roman Empire—18,000 horsemen charged down the hills, the largest cavalry charge in history. Sobieski led the charge at the head of 3,000 Polish heavy lancers, the famed "Winged Hussars“

18,000 (EIGHTEEN THOUSAND) cavalry, led by 3,000 heavy cavalry Polish lancers charging downhill onto tens of thousand of Ottoman soldiers.

That must have been absolute freakin’ CARNAGE!!

pauwel_casteels_-_battle_of_vienna_-_google_art_project.jpg

1d13f8_6404120.jpg

Can you imagine being part of that? That must have been crazy!!

Would've been fucking intense to watch.

I always think these ancient battle reports greatly overstate the quantity of men involved but even a few thousand war steeds charging down a hill would be badass.

Reminds me of the rescue of Helms Deep

I always think these ancient battle reports greatly overstate the quantity of men involved but even a few thousand war steeds charging down a hill would be badass.

Seriously!! I get goosebumps just from reading the Wikipedia article on it. Imagine watching it or being a part of the cavalry. 18,000 cavalry ... that must have be f**king INTENSE!!

That heavy cavalry, those horses, broken bones, metal flying everywhere!! It would have been absolute CARNAGE!!

1683 wasn’t ancient though. It was less than 400 years ago.

Back