The King's 3-month Crunch. (Boxing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Struts into log, chest puffed out. Takes a look around. Walks out with head down and tail between legs...*

Yeah man! Very good progress you are making. YOu started out with bein able to do only one full ab-wheel roll out. Now 5. Thats just one example. Good work!

*Struts into log, chest puffed out. Takes a look around. Walks out with head down and tail between legs...*

LOL Jesus I can't stop laughing at that. HA HA HA!!

Man in all seriousness, this ain't shit. I'm actually kind of secretly dreading getting to Vegas and training with the Pro's because most of these guys who fight on the World level do this kind of routine, but moreso (I know, I know) and THEN they go back to the gym at night and spar 4-8 rounds. I've already accepted the idea for the first 2-3 weeks out in Vegas I'm gonna get MOIDARIZED.

Yep. All this talk about overtraining and then you see the training of a drug free world class athlete. I know a world class rower and sometimes did some weighttraining with him as a teenager (he is 8 years older). I was done, done, done doing this 3 times a week. Well, he had at least 7 rowing and about 3 session of 90+ minutes jogg in addition to this per week.

Hey KK, I do my pullups in my garage rafters. What kind of routine (sets/reps) are you doing? I've been stuck at 12 for entirely too long. I do weighted pullups but those aren't helping my rep max. any tips?

Hey KK, I do my pullups in my garage rafters. What kind of routine (sets/reps) are you doing? I've been stuck at 12 for entirely too long. I do weighted pullups but those aren't helping my rep max. any tips?

There's only two things I've done that got me past 10. That's where I was stuck. One is I been using my grip-strengthener. I don't know the size of your rafters but on mine my thumb is rendered useless. So the strengthening my grip has allowed my other fingers to become a bit stronger.

Second is I just get pissed and gut it out, pull with everything I've got. But at the same time I kind of lose my mind. I don't know how to explain it. Like you know when you're running, in the beginning you keep thinking of how fucking far you have left usually...then at the end you think only of how much you want to finish...but somewhere in the middle you think about everything else in your life and you're just like a machine? You foget you're even running, you forget you even have legs? I do that with pretty much every exercise. I consider myself mechanic. My arms are just pulleys, my hands are just hooks, they have one job, pull the weight...there is no other option. Pull the weight or break-down attempting.

Today I did 3 sets of 5. But I make sure not to rest for longer than 15 seconds because if I do I'll lose my tension and won't even be able to do one more the second time I grab the rafter.

Yep. All this talk about overtraining and then you see the training of a drug free world class athlete. I know a world class rower and sometimes did some weighttraining with him as a teenager (he is 8 years older). I was done, done, done doing this 3 times a week. Well, he had at least 7 rowing and about 3 session of 90+ minutes jogg in addition to this per week.

Exactly. This life ain't for the faint of heart. Your mind, body, and soul break down during training for Pro Athletics, but on the day you're supposed to perform it's so second-nature. You flip on a switch, get the job done, and go home.

True story. I had a 19 year-old kid with me when I trained Muay Thai at the end of 2004. He was younger, more cut, seemingly in better-shape than me. One day of my leg-strengthening routine and he passed out on the floor and puked when he woke up. I was cleaning my kitchen while he laid there. I said "come on man, you're younger, stronger, and prettier than me, you should be able to do my routine no problem"...he said he had never worked that hard for that long in his whole life.

My rafters are the same as yours. I use grippers all day so I don't struggle with the grip. Lately I've been going to failure and then putting my toes (legs bent back behind me) on the top of a ladder and assisting myself through 3-4 more reps with zero assistance on the negative. I haven't been doing it long enough to know if its working, but today is my pull day, so I'll let you know tomorrow.

I know exactly what you mean about running. Last night I did a ten minute jog to warmup and then sprinted a wrestling match. 2 mins sprint - 30 sec jog - 2 min sprint - 30 sec jog - 2 min sprint - 30 sec jog - 1 min sprint for overtime - 5 min jog for cool down. Loud music and visualizing myself losing helps me push through.

graedy said:
2 min sprint?

"Sprint" as in foot speed required to run a sub 6 min mile. I didn't mean balls-out, asshole and elbow sprint. Sorry, should have clarified.

EDIT:
I can honestly say that the negatives haven't done shit for my max pullups. I did 10 nice and easy, strained a bit on 11 and took a nice big shit halfway through 12. I did a pyramid (1-6) after that. I've decided to stop the bitch ass trickery (negatives/self-assists) and just attack pullups head on with more frequency. I WILL have 15 by Feb, and 20 by Mar. Sorry, about the novel in your log KK.

Rest.

I can honestly say that the negatives haven't done shit for my max pullups. I did 10 nice and easy, strained a bit on 11 and took a nice big shit halfway through 12. I did a pyramid (1-6) after that. I've decided to stop the bitch ass trickery (negatives/self-assists) and just attack pullups head on with more frequency. I WILL have 15 by Feb, and 20 by Mar. Sorry, about the novel in your log KK.

No worries man, and that's a good idea about the no-trickery. It's like jumping. When people ask me how to improve their jumping ability...I just say "jump."

Tuesday, when I gets paid.

Interesting read, this log. I hope you do well in Vegas, King. About when might be your first pro fight? Later in the year?

Hopefully you'll stick around here and tell us about your progress (and ass-kicking experiences).

Interesting read, this log. I hope you do well in Vegas, King. About when might be your first pro fight? Later in the year?

Hopefully you'll stick around here and tell us about your progress (and ass-kicking experiences).

It depends on what Promoters think of me. And yeah I have no plans on leaving the Dog. I'm a pretty simple guy, and I don't see never having Internet access, and never having at least an hour of time to post. Plus Pro Fighters tend to have a lot of free time anyhow, since training and fighting is about all they do. So we'll see.

The King believes at this juncture his brains are made of bubble-gum...

Today:

15 minute-stretch.

3 minute skip-rope.

7 mile run.
(with 3-mintue back-pedaling)

2 rounds Shadowboxing.

Heavybag Rounds 101.
(was hitting hard today)

4 rounds double-end bag.

15 minute continuous speed-bag.

15 rafter pull-ups.
(I WILL get to 20 before the month is over.)

40 push-ups.
20 horizontal bar-placement.
20 vertical.

20 dips.

20 back-dips.

Tidbits: On the double-end bag in the 3rd round I was particularly focusing on my defense. Using the Shoulder-roll, I practised deflecting counter-punches with my lead-shoulder and countering off the body-twisting motion. What sucks is you have to be VERY accurate to catch that bag once it bounces off your shoulder with a hook, and at full-speed. I noticed at times I can be open to a counter on my right side when I deflect a punch with my left, that I need to keep my chin glued to my right shoulder when I turn so if worse comes to worse I catch the punch on my cheek not the butt of my jaw.

Also I have another challenge for anyone who uses the speed-bag and thinks you're pretty good at it. Which you may be. I cannot train at all without music. So I tend to pick my songs depending on what mood I'm in. Today I was in a rythmic mood so I used some Electronic stuff, not that club crap. But these two particular songs. "Breathe" by Prodigy, and "Confusion" by New Order (most famous as the opening song in the movie "Blade", but I have the Original extended version). Put these two tracks on and do your speed-bag. If you can keep up with the beat and make it through both songs without taking a break longer than 5 seconds, you're adequately quick of-hand.

Did I mention I love my Tyguns? I'm going to end up wearing these things out, I'll have to get another pair before leaving for Vegas.

Do not neglect the shoes.

I'm not homie. I'm getting some of the Nike Air Shox, custom-made. Only the best. But my budget is something I'm more strict with than my fight-training. Tuesday the money arrives, Tuesday the shoes will be ordered.

Thanks for stopping by my log. Great comments.
I've swallowed my pride and I'm back to take a look around yours again. :)
I'm kinda looking for stuff to steal. Yours is a good fit for judo conditioning; we'd just do other drills instead of heavy bag and speed bag work.
Thanks for the Capoeira ideas. The nearest Capoeira place is about an hour from here. If something comes closer I'll surely try it, cause I've alway found it oddly intriguing also. I'd really hate to get slapped with one of those freaky kicks to the side of the head. Somehow it just seems like a decent mix with judo.

Here's something the local wrestling team does at the beginning of every workout. Give it a try one day if you need to stir things up a bit:
Do 5 reps of: jumping jacks, situps, pushups, and mountain climbers (4 steps roughly equal 1).
Without a rest do 6 reps of each....
Work up to 15 reps. Do each set back to back, no rest.
Instead of mountain climbers I'll sometimes do a drop and sprawl pop back up drill.

Don't mean to clutter your log, King.

Rested.

Here's something the local wrestling team does at the beginning of every workout. Give it a try one day if you need to stir things up a bit:
Do 5 reps of: jumping jacks, situps, pushups, and mountain climbers (4 steps roughly equal 1).
Without a rest do 6 reps of each....
Work up to 15 reps. Do each set back to back, no rest.
Instead of mountain climbers I'll sometimes do a drop and sprawl pop back up drill.

Sounds good, might have to give it a shot on the days I don't do the weights.

The King thinks leg-days suck when you do distance cardio as well...

Today:

20 minute stretch.

5 minute rope-skip.

5.1 mile run.

Heavybag Rounds 101.
(5 to 6 minute rounds)

3 rounds speed-bag.

4 rounds double-end bag.

2 rounds Shadowboxing.

Weights/Strength

Calf-raises:
- 3 sets of 20 with 3 toe positions.
180 reps total.

One-legged squats:
- 3 sets of 15 with two foot positions.
90 reps total.

Standard squats:
(holding dumbbells)
- 2 sets of 25

Jumps:
- 3 sets of 10

Frog Jumps:
- 3 sets of 10

Burpee Hooks:
- 2 sets of 25

Escapes:
- 2 sets of 10

Tidbits: It was humid as Satan's ass-crack today. So my gas sucked. Especially since I was wearing heavier clothing. But overall I feel good, sweatted like R. Kelly at a Girl Scout meeting.

Looks good man. How are you liking the longer rounds?

I try and keep my round lengths to 2 or 3 minutes because my coach noted that, without even realising, I'd start to pace myself with 4-6 minute rounds a little bit more. When it came time to explode through the 2 minute amateur rounds, I hadn't been training for it as well as I could have. If you can keep a fast, sustained pace through those long rounds though, keep at it because it's damned impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back