The kid who will beat DJ is fighting tonight

Then why did Cormier (205) destroy Silva (185)? Why did Hughes beat Gracie? Why did McGregor (a natural 155lbs-er) wipe out the FW division?
Granted, physical advantage is not THE main factor when it comes to a fight. Fight IQ and technique are, but in many cases, physical prowess has evened the odds.
Those are some terrible examples. Why did DC beat Silva? ummm because maybe Silva rolled off the couch and took the fight? Because he is 40 years old? Because he had a beer belly? Because the fight was only 3 rounds and he started to do good in the end? Royce gracie was 50 years old. And Conor is beating guys due to his technique.

This is a dumb argument. That guy is talking about grip strength like it means jack shit. This kid is knocking people out. That is his proof of his power.

Those are some terrible examples. Why did DC beat Silva? ummm because maybe Silva rolled off the couch and took the fight? Because he is 40 years old? Because he had a beer belly? Because the fight was only 3 rounds and he started to do good in the end? Royce gracie was 50 years old. And Conor is beating guys due to his technique.

This is a dumb argument. That guy is talking about grip strength like it means jack shit. This kid is knocking people out. That is his proof of his power.
I'm not jumping on hype trains is what I'm saying. He looks like a decent kickboxer, or rather, great kickboxer, considering his age. However, I'm certain that in the UFC, he'll come up against talent which will he insurmountable to him, wether superior grapplers or strikers, anyone in the top 5 of the 125-145 lbs divisions would beat him imo.

lol if they dont go for a takedown. they go to sleep.
You can't know that. Stephen Thompson is a world champion and undefeated kickboxer and was outstruck by a wrestle-boxer, so credentials mean jack-shit.
Thai-style fighters are getting outstruck by boxing-based strikers, this is a trend that is emerging in MMA, think of: McGregor vs Aldo, TJ vs Barao, Cody vs Almeida, Stipe vs Overeem/Werdum, etc etc etc.
Also, I think western sports science plays a big role in how effective a fighter is, and I think this boy lacks it. Until proven otherwise, I don't think he'd find success at the top levels of MMA.

LOL @ another asian hype train derailment incoming

this is the next "hioki" right here

You can't know that. Stephen Thompson is a world champion and undefeated kickboxer and was outstruck by a wrestle-boxer, so credentials mean jack-shit.
Thai-style fighters are getting outstruck by boxing-based strikers, this is a trend that is emerging in MMA, think of: McGregor vs Aldo, TJ vs Barao, Cody vs Almeida, Stipe vs Overeem/Werdum, etc etc etc.
Also, I think western sports science plays a big role in how effective a fighter is, and I think this boy lacks it. Until proven otherwise, I don't think he'd find success at the top levels of MMA.

How was Thompson outstruck by Woodley, he was beating that ass except for that one round. Takedown is what cause Thompson to lose. Did you even watch the fight.

How was Thompson outstruck by Woodley, he was beating that ass except for that one round. Takedown is what cause Thompson to lose. Did you even watch the fight.
you should check out the fightmetric stats

http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/b80ef7cdc36ab48b

Round by round Woodley won 1 and 4 on strikes clearly and he landed double Wonderboy's strikes in round 2 but landed 2 less significant strikes, could've gone either way. Round 3 was edged by Thompson IMO and Round 5 is the one that's clearly his .

10-8 could be scored for either of those one sided rounds too

Well , he s a competitive thai fighter so theres that, Sage is not, never was

Air was more elusive.. it had no damage. Air by split decision imo

lol don't call these guys "thai-style". They Rock that Dutch kickboxing style like mostly everyone else in mma. No one in the ufc does a real Thai style other then Valentina shevchenko, and maybe cerone.

This kid knows how to move. He's in and out. His style of striking is perfect for MMA. He has the muay thai timing with a kickboxing agression and combos.

You said top 5 BWs would beat him. I'm not denying that. All I'm saying is that he is a prospect to keep an eye on. His accomplishments at his age is stunning. If he stays away from the ufc, trains his grappling while fighting bums, his skills would be frightening when he does make that UFC debut. Because I will say this right now. His striking is better than TJ's and any other fighter in BW.

Wow, so people still haven't watched Enter the Dragon?? Punching air is even less impressive than punching wooden boards.

tumblr_o3iyihyRVY1v6w3juo1_500.gif

tumblr_o3iyihyRVY1v6w3juo2_500.gif

Wow, so people still haven't watched Enter the Dragon?? Punching air is even less impressive than punching wooden boards.

tumblr_o3iyihyRVY1v6w3juo1_500.gif

tumblr_o3iyihyRVY1v6w3juo2_500.gif
Actually, you can use shadow boxing to gauge how good someone is on a technical level. Even my coach would ask new students to shadow box for him to see whether he should send that ass with the moms and kids, or keep him in the advance class.

Anyways, he is 17-0 in pro kickboxing. He is whooping ass just as much as he is whooping dark matter.

Actually, you can use shadow boxing to gauge how good someone is on a technical level. Even my coach would ask new students to shadow box for him to see whether he should send that ass with the moms and kids, or keep him in the advance class.

Anyways, he is 17-0 in pro kickboxing. He is whooping ass just as much as he is whooping dark matter.
We're not talking about using shadow boxing to pick which level Tae-Bo class you should be in. We're talking about how good someone is at beating the fuck out of someone else.

Why are we talking about this kid as a great MMA prospect when we don't even know if he has any interest in competing in MMA?

I don't know if he'll stay, but he's making his MMA debut in Rizin on the 29th.

Did you see Thompson's face...? -_-

Really nice striking, but what's his grappling like? He'd beat the crap out of everyone, just standing, but once that blood rushes to his arms, can he keep his striking going?

That's what separates a Jose Aldo from your dime a dozen strikers that can't adapt to the grappling aspect of MMA, even though Aldo started off as a BJJ player.

Back