The Journey to 145 lbs... MO vs. KS Showdown

James Fuller

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Starting my cut for my next fight which will be September 18th. Weigh ins are the night before and I have the typical 1 pound allowance so I am actually shooting for about 146. I have about three weeks and my goal is to be 10 pounds off exactly 1 week from my fight and cut the rest via dehydration.

Here is the current situation after a 13 week camp thus far (had two opponets drop and have just stayed in the gym)

Height: 5"10
Weight: 170 lbs
WRHR: 58 bpm
BF: 14%

My training has consisted of 2 hour training sessions MWS, TR lifting sessions and a long slow jog every Sunday. Fridays are always off completely. My lifting routine was a variation of a 5X5 program based around increasing functional strength. My goal was to get better at three lifts; the squat deadlift and bench. I am including my PR's for these bc I am going to experiment and see how much strength, if any I lose after A. Cutting 25 lbs B. switching to a low weight circuit to boost muscular endurance and cardio leading up to the fight.

Squat: 330lbs
Deadlift: 265 lbs
Bench: 195 lbs

In next post will detail my food intake for today, Sunday August 29 along with my workput for the day. Will be using two applications on my droid (love technology man) to estimate caloric content and calories expended.

My workout for Sunday, August 29th:

1. Grapplers circuit 3 times straight through with 30 sec. rest between rounds. 8 reps each exercise.
-BO Row
-Upright Row
-Military Press
-Split Squat L
-Split Squat R
-S.L. Deadlift
-GM
-Squat + Push Press

2.Bench Press 3X10
3. Forearm curls 3X10 (each way)
4. Decline situp 3X10 @25 lbs
5. Captain's Chair leg raises 3X10 @ 10lbs

Finished up with 1 and 1/2 mile jog

Will post diet log from yesterday later today.

Well Sherdog's file upload system sucks. You can't do Spreadsheets, pasting it into a document always exceeds KB width. Boo.

Here is the link to the spreadsheet for my food intake for August 29th and 30th:

Sunday August 29th:
Food Log 08/29

Monday, August 30th:
Food Log 08/30

Had my typical MMA workout last night (2 hrs, alot of hard mma sparring and open mat wrestling) est. about 4100 calories burned

Last edited:
My Workout for Tuesday August 31st

Squat 3X10
BO Row 3x10
OHP 3x10
Clean and Jerk 3x10
Gi pullups 3x failure
fingertip push 3x failure

1 and 1/2 mile run

And here is my food log:

Food Log 8/31

Ur slacking with ur updates!

Ur slacking with ur updates!

I still have it all in a word document I just thought the links werent working so I am trying to figure it out. A full week is waiting to go up here. When you click on the links are they opening the log or what?

I still have it all in a word document I just thought the links werent working so I am trying to figure it out. A full week is waiting to go up here. When you click on the links are they opening the log or what?

Links are working fine for me

During these weeks I have been MMA training 2 hrs a night mon wed and sat. On Tuesday and Thursday have been doing circuit lifting or high rep low rest sets of the big three (squat, dl and bench) as well as various grip exercises core work etc. However building my wind and doing longer aerobic runs 4 miles or so typically, in an attempt to burn more fat vs. Muscle or carbs. During this time on 9/07 I shocked myself by completing the ultimate fighter treadmill run. My cardio feels there even despite the reduced calories.

Ok well did my last hard day of sparring this morning. Did 6 round gauntlet mitt and bag work. Some gnp as well. Tonight I went for a long aerobic run for about 50 minutes, switched to distilled water today as well.
Food Log 9/11

Update:
7 days till I weigh in.

Weight: 159 lbs
BF: 12%
WRHR: n/a

Last edited:
Here is my Food Log for Sunday:

Food Diary 9/12

As for exercise I got up and did ABOUT 60 minutes of cardio. 25 running, 20 on elliptical (my shins are not used to all this running) and did three sets of 1 minute sprints on the versa climber followed by 5 minutes active recovery. I did that 3 times.

Seperate Note: It is really hard to teach kindergarten when your on less than 2000 calories a day.

Last edited:
Food Log 9/13

Yesterday I had a 90 minute mma practice with 1/2 of a sauna suit on under layers. Did alot of wrestling, circuit training and non contact drills.

Yesterday I went and had another extended cardio session. This time with a sauna top on, a hoodie and sweatpants. Burned around 700 calories. Still sweating buckets, even more than usual so I think my final 24 hours wont be too hard for getting that last 6 or so pounds off.

Right now my WRHR is up to about 59 bpm, which is to be expected. My weight is at 156.0. Will post my food log later today from yesterday 9/14. Expect to be around 153 or so by tonight after mma practice.

Edit: here is my food log for Tuesday

Food Log 9/14

Last edited:
Well I ended up making the weight (146.5) than proceeded to beat him on the feet, get slammed, than choked unconcious at the very end of the first round. Once again...back to the drawing board. But my cardio felt great, I put back on 12 pounds and didnt feel tired in the least, so feel good about how hard I trained, my cut, and my mental condiditon going into the fight (I was very calm and ready to fight) yet I still managed to shit all over myself with stupid mental mistakes which caused me to lose a fight to a guy I really had no business losing to (really I just don't think fast enough at "game speed")

Back