The Journey (Boxing Log)

As far as eating your greens, i like to put either spinach, zuchini, or brocolli in a egg scramble. Latley ive been doing a piece of turkey sausage, a green, 1 egg and some egg whites(get "all whites" or something similar, that ReddiEgg shit tastes like slime.)maybe a little brown rice, or black beans, and scramble it all together. Then i either eat it with whole wheat toast and salsa, or i like to put it in a whole wheat tortilla. I put cheese in mine too, but is better for you without.

Another snack i like is i take two boneless/skinless chicken breasts and i cut them into long/skinny chicken "fingers". I then dip each finger in eggwhites, then roll it around in whole wheat bread crumbs that has some kind of seasoning in it, right now im using italian. Spray a cooking sheet with non-stick spray and heat the oven to 400. Throw them in for 10 minutes, then take them out and flip them, put back in for 5 min, and tehy should be done. These taste good by themselfs as a quick snack, or throw them on a salad and they are good also. Good cold, or warmed up the next day.

Ill post a couple other things i like to eat once i wake up a little and remember.

Thanks for the Idea's. I plan to also start making some Protien bars with nuts and stuff to snack on during the day.

Ideally I would really like to go on a liquid diet (while at work just drinking shakes and Blenderize Veggies if I have to) because I need something that's fast and able to be consumed in a short a mount of time. How bad of an idea is drinking ON Whey throught the day maybe 4 times a day and 2 Whole food meals. I figure my colorie intake would be around 1500 or so that way. Is this a bad idea?

As for my Gloves I'm using Cheap Everlast Velcro 16Oz.gloves I bought for like $35.00. I know I need to buy new ones and I'm trying to find a good pair that will last. I've read some conflicting reports as to which are good and which suck so I'm kind of on the fence right now as to what I should get.

I don't have the money right now for a pair of bag gloves and sparring (not too concerned because I won't be doing that for a month or two I think). I'm getting married and starting a business so kind of tapped right now and if i'm going to spend the money I want to make sure it's for a good reason and quality product.

I think getting a better pair of gloves will help my wrist a lot because I'm not getting the support even with wraps and tape.

I think you are going to need more than 1500 calories a day or you wont have the energy you need for boxing. I could be wrong on that, but it seems rather low. You also want to get as much of you food from whole sources as possible.

For food at work maybe you can try making wraps with whole wheat tortillas and cut it into 8ths or soemthing, that way every so often you can eat one and it will be small so it wont take much time. mixed nuts and fruit woudl be good also.

You should pop into the Diet and Supplements forum, they would have better ideas for you than I do. Listen to Madmick, he knows his shit.

IMF Tech™ Bag Gloves at Ringside.com

These are the gloves I bought after reading through tons of reviews at a bunch of forums. They were the one glove that everyone who used them praised. Ross over at Rosstraining.com uses these as well. I havnt got to use mine much becuase as soon as i got em my coach had to quit coaching us. If you get them, get the large, regulars wont fit you.

Thanks man. I was just checking through the Reviews on some of the gloves. I will pick up a pair today. I need to speak to my coach and see what weight he wants me to get. I would think the heavier the faster I would be with smaller lighter gloves. We'll see what he says.

Why not just use the 12 oz gloves you'd be fighting with?

Mschatz -What do you mean? Like the gloves I'd use in an amatuer competition? I don't have them yet. I will be getting them after the wedding August since I won't be in competition until after the wedding. The wife threatened me if I get a broken nose or cut or anything to make me look less then calvin Klienesk she'll kill me. I'm not messing with her!

Mschatz -What do you mean? Like the gloves I'd use in an amatuer competition? I don't have them yet. I will be getting them after the wedding August since I won't be in competition until after the wedding. The wife threatened me if I get a broken nose or cut or anything to make me look less then calvin Klienesk she'll kill me. I'm not messing with her!

Dont mess with the misses. But if you're buying new gloves anyway, why not just get a pair of 12 oz competition gloves? They will work just fine for bag work, and you'll get used to the weight you will be using once you start competiton.

Oj ok . I wasn't sure if you could use competition gloves for bag work. If that's the case then yeah I migth go that route. I'm still green so I learn as I go. Any advice info is welcome. Thanks again. I will see if I can find a good pair locally befor eordering online as I like to see what I'm getting first hand. If that's not a possibility I will just buy online.

*In theory when I'm sparring wouldn't that make me a lot slower when I use 16Oz gloves?

Oj ok . I wasn't sure if you could use competition gloves for bag work. If that's the case then yeah I migth go that route. I'm still green so I learn as I go. Any advice info is welcome. Thanks again. I will see if I can find a good pair locally befor eordering online as I like to see what I'm getting first hand. If that's not a possibility I will just buy online.

*In theory when I'm sparring wouldn't that make me a lot slower when I use 16Oz gloves?

Sure, 12 ounces is more than enough padding for bag/mitt work. Yes, you'll notice a difference going from 12 to 16 when you're sparing. I dont notice it so much in my speed, although I'm sure thats affected as well, as I do in the difficulty of keeping my hands up. If you're going to spar with 16's, sounds like you'll need at least 2 pairs anyway. At your weight, you'll compete with 12's. If you get ANOTHER pair just for bag work, youll need 3 pairs and that just seems redundant.

Got you ... thanks for taking the time to explain and make sense of this all. *High five!

Normally i would agree with Ms, but in this case because of your knuckles and wrists hurting, i would say go with a more protective pair of gloves.

It is a matter of preference. Ive used 12s, 14s, and 16s for bag work and i prefer 14. I like the 14 because they give more padding/protection than the 12s, but are not quite as heavy as the 16s. I like the 12s because you hit faster, and they make more of a pop on the bag due to less padding(makes me feel strong!). If i didnt have wrist problems, i would use 12s. But since my wrists get sore easily, i use 14s.

Normally i would agree with Ms, but in this case because of your knuckles and wrists hurting, i would say go with a more protective pair of gloves.

It is a matter of preference. Ive used 12s, 14s, and 16s for bag work and i prefer 14. I like the 14 because they give more padding/protection than the 12s, but are not quite as heavy as the 16s. I like the 12s because you hit faster, and they make more of a pop on the bag due to less padding(makes me feel strong!). If i didnt have wrist problems, i would use 12s. But since my wrists get sore easily, i use 14s.

12's are more than sufficient for padding. Wrists hurt? Get longer wraps mexi style wrap the hell out of 'em.

Yeah I was just checking out the Mexican style Wraps 200". I tihkn I'm going to buy a few pairs of those as well. I use the 180's right now and it seems as if they aren't long enough.

5/15/08

20 mins stretching as my legs felt like crap today.

75 jumping jacks

1 round jump rope

5 minute stretching again as my legs were really cramping (feet and calves)

Did footwork drills around the ring both to the left and right.

Did 1 round speed bag

4 rounds mitt work..- Worst 4 rounds of my training this far. I was cramping so much it was really causing me not to focus on what I was being told. My form was sloppy and I was rushing everything. My footing was off and my balance was shot to hell. Overall I felt like I was wasting my trainers time today and asked him to train another guy who was waiting for him to free up from me. He had a talk with me asking if everything was ok I told him I'm just not in the groove today and I'm having a bad day from work and he said it happens but I was pushing even in pain and he's not wasting his time with me.

I've gotta figure out how to stop or at least lessen the burning in my muscles as of late. I never experienced this before to this extent. My shoulders,feet and calves are all crampy and feeling like crap.

Watched another southpaw spar tonight and recognized a few things and spoke to Willie about during the sparring session. He said I made good points and explained why you would do certain techniques at times and lay off others. It helped me get a better visual actually seeing it live and hearing a corner do their job.

Things I did well--
Showed up-- I was really out of it and I still went...Good job me!

Tried my hardest until I wasn't able to go any more.

Things I sucked at....
Boxing
Moving
Punching
conditioning

If you are cramping up make sure you are drinking pleanty of weater throughout the day, not just before you go train. Try carrying a liter bottle of water with you all day long and drinking it and filling it up 3 or 4 times throughout the day. Also try eating something with some potassium in it before you train. A banana 45min before training usualy works for me.

A sports drink like Accelerade also works well. Has 4to1 carbs to protein and some potassium in it. I have better training sessions when i start sipping this 30min before i get to the gym.

He's trying to cut fat. Banana before the workout is not good for that. Any electrolyte complex should help with cramping, so should sufficient protein intake, unless it's a joint problem.

I took a protien shake about 45 mins prior to workout. This is something I've not done before. I will try without doing that. I will just have something light maybe some almonds prior.

Also I drink close to a gallon and a half of water daily. I'm pretty sure that is really good water consumption. Any thoughts?

I'm going to take the day off. Tomorrow I got fishing at 5 am and I think I may go do some cardio work later in the day. My body is just over worked right now from doing nothing to doing these work outs I think I just need a day or so to recoupe.

I'm going to call Willie and tell him i'll see him on Monday. Next week I'll start my 4 x per week routine.

Back