The Jones vs Cormier fight is somewhat Ali vs Foreman of our time

Seemingly everyone is a champ in your world. What a warming thought.

Derrp.

Ali was stripped of his title.
Frazier won the vancant belt.
Jones is ufc LHW champ.
COrmier is still announced as the strikeforce GP and HW champ

:icon_chee

whats wrong today boy?

yess thats the opponent I was looking for with Holmes. good one. Maybe Louis vs Conn? Was Conn LHW champ back then?

I don't go back that far, but I *think* Conn had just returned from the war then and wasn't LHW champ at the time. That's the "He can run but he can't hide" fight IIRC.

I looked it up. First fight he vacated LHW, I was referring to their second.

"In May 1941, Conn gave up his Light Heavyweight title to challenge World Heavyweight Champion Joe Louis. Conn attempted to become the first World Light Heavyweight Champion in boxing history to win the World Heavyweight Championship when he and Louis met on June 18 of that year, and incredibly, to do so without going up in weight. The fight became part of boxing's lore because Conn held a secure lead on the scorecards leading to round 13. According to many experts and fans who watched the fight, Conn was outmaneuvering Louis up to that point. In a move that Conn would regret for the rest of his life, he tried to go for the knockout in round 13, and instead wound up losing the fight by knockout in that same round himself. Ten minutes after the fight, Conn told reporters, "I lost my head and a million bucks."[2] When asked by a reporter why he went for the knockout, Conn replied famously, "What's the use of being Irish if you can't be thick (i.e. stupid)?" Later he would joke with Louis, "Why couldn't you let me hold the title for a year or so?", to which the Brown Bomber responded, "You had the title for twelve rounds and you couldn't hold on to it."

In 1942, Conn beat Tony Zale and had an exhibition with Louis. World War II was at one of its most important moments, however, and both Conn and Louis were called to serve in the Army. Conn went to war and was away from the ring until 1946.

By then, the public was clamoring for a rematch between him and the still World Heavyweight Champion Louis. This happened, and on June 19, 1946, Conn returned into the ring, straight into a World Heavyweight Championship bout. Before that fight, it was suggested to Louis that Conn might outpoint him because of his hand and foot speed. In a line that would be long-remembered, Louis replied: "He can run, but he can't hide." The fight, at Yankee Stadium, was the first televised World Heavyweight Championship bout ever, and 146,000 people watched it on TV, also setting a record for the most seen world heavyweight bout in history. Most people who saw it agreed that both Conn and Louis' abilities had eroded with their time spent serving in the armed forces, but Louis was able to retain the crown by a knockout in round eight. Conn's career was basically over after this fight, but he still fought two more fights, winning both by knockout in round nine. On December 10, 1948, he and Louis met inside a ring for the last time, this time for a public exhibition in Chicago. Conn would never climb into a ring as a fighter again. He also hung out with Jimmy Ray Devin, brother in law of famous 1954 army boxing champ James Travis Sr. (Boxing record 54-1-1) in Junction City Ks in the 1970 to 1980 era."

Say what you want about Jon Jones, but Daniel Cormier does in no way come off as humble and respectful in this case.

"I will come to your hotel room and spit in your face"

Yeah, real classy line there. But the concensous was that Jones went out of line when he replied with "If you do that I'll kill you."
In my opinion, once you tell a man you will spit him in the face you've pretty much signaled that anything goes in that conversation.

why keep comparing jones as ali? he doesn't deserve it yet

At the time of Ali/Frazier I (what I think the TS meant to say), Ali 29 years old and 31-0 with eight title defenses. His wins were very dominant, and his competition was solid but not spectacular with the exception of Liston. He was not as highly regarded as a boxer as Jones is as an MMAist, though it was close. Boxing was a much bigger sport so they're not comparable as celebrities, but for an MMA fan to think that this is the kind of fight that Ali/Frazier I was is reasonable, IMO.

Yup that unlucky 13.

Imagine how history might have changed if Conn won that fight? Really showed a weakness in Louis' game which Walcott exposed too.

It's why I could only laugh when Cus Damato told Ali he thinks louis would beat him. You can say well look at what happened when they planted there feet (huge no no agaisnt Louis) but I feel Ali could have traded with him toe to toe.

At the time of Ali/Frazier I (what I think the TS meant to say), Ali 29 years old and 31-0 with eight title defenses. His wins were very dominant, and his competition was solid but not spectacular with the exception of Liston. He was not as highly regarded as a boxer as Jones is as an MMAist, though it was close. Boxing was a much bigger sport so they're not comparable as celebrities, but for an MMA fan to think that this is the kind of fight that Ali/Frazier I was is reasonable, IMO.

I see what you're saying, not attacking in any way, but Ali/Frazier 1 had cultural significance. Frazier helped Ali monetarily when he couldn't fight and then when it came time, Ali turned on him and called him an Uncle Tom.

Yup that unlucky 13.

Imagine how history might have changed if Conn won that fight? Really showed a weakness in Louis' game which Walcott exposed too.

It's why I could only laugh when Cus Damato told Ali he thinks louis would beat him. You can say well look at what happened when they planted there feet (huge no no agaisnt Louis) but I feel Ali could have traded with him toe to toe.

I'm biased, but I would take Ali in his prime over any fighter in history. It makes me sad that we may lose him in 2015.

Ali was the only talker and his trash was on a completely different level than Jones will ever reach. Ali coined the timeless phrase in his trash talk for that bout "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. The hands can't hit what the eyes can't see."

It's probably semantics since Ali will forever get credit for that quote but he didn't actually come up with it. Drew "Bundini" Brown, one of his assistant trainers (and speech writers) did.

Some of my personal favorite Ali poems I can still recite to this day:

Archie Moore:
Archie has been living off the fat of the land
I'm here to give him his pension plan
When you come to the fight don't block aisle or door
Cuz you're all goin home, after round 4.

Joe Frazier:
Joe's gonna come out smokin
And I ain't gonna be jokin
I'll be peckin and a pokin
pourin water on his smokin

Well, this may shock and amaze ya
but I'm gonna retire, Joe Frazzia

I see what you're saying, not attacking in any way, but Ali/Frazier 1 had cultural significance. Frazier helped Ali monetarily when he couldn't fight and then when it came time, Ali turned on him and called him an Uncle Tom.

As a cultural event, Ali/Frazier I was definitely on a different level. No argument there. But it makes sense for MMA fans, at least, to see the sporting event as being similar.

Frazier couldn't evaluate between real trash talk and fight promotion. In ALi's AUTOBIOGRAPHY he writes down a supposed transcipt of his convo with Frazier in fraziers car. Very interesting read.

when ALi gets out of the car, he starts blasting frazier in front of everyone, and he claims fraizer was pisssed or didn't get it.

It's probably semantics since Ali will forever get credit for that quote but he didn't actually come up with it. Drew "Bundini" Brown, one of his assistant trainers (and speech writers) did.

Some of my personal favorite Ali poems I can still recite to this day:

Archie Moore:
Archie has been living off the fat of the land
I'm here to give him his pension plan
When you come to the fight don't block aisle or door
Cuz you're all goin home, after round 4.

Joe Frazier:
Joe's gonna come out smokin
And I ain't gonna be jokin
I'll be peckin and a pokin
pourin water on his smokin

Well, this may shock and amaze ya
but I'm gonna retire, Joe Frazzia
I also like:

"if you ever dream of beating me, you better wake up and apologize"

I'm watching Foreman vs Ali again (watched it just once or two times tops) and Foreman (I'm after round 1) looks like a bum to be honest, winging sloppy punches. Sure he had power but he doesn't look good in that fight at least.

As a huge fan of X-Files in my early teens, your AV is almost enough for me to take a trip to the bathroom. She may not be the most gorgeous woman, but I still always found Gillian Anderson to be pretty sexy, especially with facial expressions like that.

No doubt

There are many similarities leading up to both of the fights.

Jones is arguably one of the greatest of all time. He's undefeated (if you discount the stupid 12-6 DQ) and has beaten the best. Talks trash and trolls and He is absolutely hated by a significant portion of fans. Ali was the same except he had 2 losses, talked better trash.

Cormier is undefeated. "Humble and respectful" most of the time. And the people who hate Jones want him to win. Foreman was the same. Foreman was pro-American while Ali supported civil rights which drove many Ali haters to support Foreman.

Both fights were hyped up the max.

So Foreman was opposed to civil rights?

I'm watching Foreman vs Ali again (watched it just once or two times tops) and Foreman (I'm after round 1) looks like a bum to be honest, winging sloppy punches. Sure he had power but he doesn't look good in that fight at least.

Biggest myth is that foreman was winning that fight. Ali best him down the whole time. And foreman I'd a very good fighter to boot

Biggest myth is that foreman was winning that fight. Ali best him down the whole time. And foreman I'd a very good fighter to boot

The so-called "rope-a-dope" strategy Ali used gets brought up a lot as if he somehow tricked Foreman. Loosening the ring ropes so Ali could lean way back is brought up a lot as well. It wasn't any real trick and Ali's own corner was screaming at him to get off the ropes during the fight. Ali just let Foreman beat on him till he punched himself out. The amazing part was no one else had ever been able to stand up to Foreman's power like Ali did. Jimmy Young later repeated it against Foreman before George retired the first time.

The so-called "rope-a-dope" strategy Ali used gets brought up a lot as if he somehow tricked Foreman. Loosening the ring ropes so Ali could lean way back is brought up a lot as well. It wasn't any real trick and Ali's own corner was screaming at him to get off the ropes during the fight. Ali just let Foreman beat on him till he punched himself out. The amazing part was no one else had ever been able to stand up to Foreman's power like Ali did. Jimmy Young later repeated it against Foreman before George retired the first time.

Yeah but even when that happened Ali was winning the rounds and popping foreman.

Back