The Jolt vs. The Jab?

lith

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I read an article by an old boxer (think it was Jack Dempsey?) which basically proposed that the Jolt is a much better set up punch than the jab.

For those who don't know, the Jolt is basically having your knuckles connecting to the opponent vertically, much like the hook, rather than horizontally. This boxer claimed that throwing a punch in that manner will telegraph it less. It will also give you more power, as movement of the fist from the guard is just a straight line. So presumably, there is no loss of energy as there is in the twisting motion of the jab.

What do you guys think of this? It does kind seem to make sense, at least about the telegraphing part. What would be the drawback of the Jolt? And if it so advantageous, how come more fighters are not using it?

Each boxer has a personalized way of throwing the jab (Larry Holmes had a pawing jab, Ike Quartley had a strong jab, Tito Trinidad had a snapping jab). There are different reasons as to why they prefer to use that specific type of jab (most of it just comes down to personal preference or confortability).

Read this thread: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/magical-jabs-877950/

It does a good job of explaining the different types of jabs. Make sure to check out the Ike Quartley vid. Imo, that's the jab that every boxer should try to emulate.

EDIT: BTW, one of the main reasons why Dempsey's jolt was so powerful was because he incorporated a step into the opponent when he landed the punch. The small in-step added power and was used to deliver a stronger blow.

Sounds like a karate strike. What part of the knuckles would you aim to land with though?

If I recall right Dempsey was into the lower knuckles landing.

Tony Zale also used a vertical jab, I like the vertical jab personally unless I am jabbing low which is rare......

I find it useful when an opponent has a fairly tight guard but leaves his mouth and the front of his chin exposed. The vertical fist slips between his forearms/gloves, whereas a normal jab would likely hit them.

I disagree with the "loss of energy... in the twisting motion of the jab" part, however. The energy from the twist doesn't get lost; it gets transferred to the opponent's face, which is a good thing.

Sounds like a karate strike. What part of the knuckles would you aim to land with though?

Well, in Karate a punch is only a punch you land the index and middle knuckles.

Tons of people punch with vertical jabs. Pro boxers included..

I use the vertical fist when punching quick jabs in succession before moving away or slipping+power shot

Wing chun practitioners consider themselves masters of this technique FYI.

I've read that as far as bare knuckle boxing goes a vertical fist was the way to go as it's a less complex movement and so you're less likely to damage your hand / wrist. As someone else stated it's also supposed to be a less telegraphed punch.

BTW, one of the main reasons why Dempsey's jolt was so powerful was because he incorporated a step into the opponent when he landed the punch. The small in-step added power and was used to deliver a stronger blow.

I'm a big fan of the stepping jab. I was influenced a lot by Bruce Lee's straight hand lead when I was first starting out and it's become my best punch.

I read an article by an old boxer (think it was Jack Dempsey?) which basically proposed that the Jolt is a much better set up punch than the jab.

For those who don't know, the Jolt is basically having your knuckles connecting to the opponent vertically, much like the hook, rather than horizontally. This boxer claimed that throwing a punch in that manner will telegraph it less. It will also give you more power, as movement of the fist from the guard is just a straight line. So presumably, there is no loss of energy as there is in the twisting motion of the jab.

What do you guys think of this? It does kind seem to make sense, at least about the telegraphing part. What would be the drawback of the Jolt? And if it so advantageous, how come more fighters are not using it?

Go back and read up on the Jolt again. The jolt is not the the hand position, though Dempesy did recommend a Vertical/WC style fist and contact area. The Jolt could be used to throw either a jab or a cross, as the name referred to how to get you weight behind a straight punch by taking a very slight falling step toward your opponent. It generated tremendous power. The stepping power or Shotgun Jab is basically the same as the Jolt jab.

Back