"The Japanese Production Line"

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by kebark, Oct 18, 2013.

1. kebark

kebark Orange Belt

Continued here - http://www.asianboxing.info/12/post/2013/10/the-japanese-production-line.html

Amazing how many amazing fighters are coming through in Japan. It'd be staggering to think that you could have Ioka, Inoue and Tanaka all in action against each other in the next 2-3 years. Scary potential there.

2. GhostBlade

GhostBlade Brown Belt

Meh, I don't watch anything below welterweight. There are too many fights in welterweight and higher for me to care about the lower weight classes.

3. kebark

kebark Orange Belt

So Murata (MW/SMW), possibly Okada (LWW/WW) and possibly Nakatani (LW-though a freakishly tall LW who will be at WW by the time he's done) interest you then? ;)

4. GhostBlade

GhostBlade Brown Belt

I'm not sure. When I think of Japanese boxers I don't think of all-time greats. It would be nice to see a decent Japanese boxer in the pros that boxing fans worldwide can get excited about and not just Japanese boxing fans.

5. kebark

kebark Orange Belt

Harada not count as an all time great? Gushiken?

I'm shocked more fans aren't able to get excited about the two Takashi's at 130lbs (Uchiyama and Miura) two of the most fun to watch fighters on the planet. If Murata can't get Western fans interested then I think Western fans have some serious problems.

6. GhostBlade

GhostBlade Brown Belt

I'm not a hardcore enough boxing fan to know who any of those guys are. I can't really get excited for the little guys in any combat sport. In boxing I generally watch welterweights and higher and in MMA I like to watch lightweights (155 lbs) and higher.

7. consortium11

consortium11 Slip The Jab

Fighting Harada's generally seen as one of the best of all time.

The issue for Japanese boxers with regards to world wide fans is that as a rule they compete in weightclasses that aren't particularly popular outside Asia (although Mexico has some good boxers at those weights) and there's both enough competition in Asia and enough money in Japan that it makes little sense for them to leave. In a world with youtube and streaming it's easier to follow them today but it's still a challenge.