The issue of glove weight

DC413

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a little, especially since weighing my own gloves and reading about the weights or gloves that others report in their reviews. Just curious what others think, and maybe what some of the company reps/glove makers have to say about this issue. Basically the questions is this: At what point is a glove manufacturer or reseller responsible for mis-wieghted gloves? In other words, how far off does a glove have to be from the labelled weight before it becomes a quality issue warranting correction or a return?

I've got a couple pair of gloves that are off by about a size (2oz). If i buy something that is advertised and 16 oz, and it is actually under 14oz, is that something I can return? I generally don't mind gloves being off weight a little, but if they were off by 2 sizes (4oz), I think that's when I'd care, especially if they are going to be sparring gloves.

What do others think or is this just a stupid question?

I've been thinking about this a little, especially since weighing my own gloves and reading about the weights or gloves that others report in their reviews. Just curious what others think, and maybe what some of the company reps/glove makers have to say about this issue. Basically the questions is this: At what point is a glove manufacturer or reseller responsible for mis-wieghted gloves? In other words, how far off does a glove have to be from the labelled weight before it becomes a quality issue warranting correction or a return?

I've got a couple pair of gloves that are off by about a size (2oz). If i buy something that is advertised and 16 oz, and it is actually under 14oz, is that something I can return? I generally don't mind gloves being off weight a little, but if they were off by 2 sizes (4oz), I think that's when I'd care, especially if they are going to be sparring gloves.

What do others think or is this just a stupid question?

Brand?

I think .5 oz is the max tolerance up or down that should be allowed. Maybe slightly more but a full oz IMO is a no go. And lots of companies are at fault from one of my all time favorite brands like Reyes to other peoples favorite brands like fairtex are notorious for being off weight.

Those brands come in heavy which IMO are less at fault than the brands coming in light especially for sparring gloves.

When gloves come in light it's kind of bs and lazy IMO especially when I see 16oz gloves come in at 12-14oz.

Now I know what you are thinking like hey strat ring to cage c17 1.0 did that! Yes but they immediately pulled inventory and replaced all gloves for 1.0s something no other brand has ever done. That is why they get a free pass they are the only ones that have actively fixed a weight mishap

The only time it bothers me is if I plan on using the glove for sparring. Other than that I could really care less. I have Boon and Twins which came under weight but I use them for bag and pads so no biggie.

I have 2 pairs of 10oz gloves of different one Hayabusa the other Ergo. Both weight 14-16ozs. One company, ergo apologized and offered to replace the gloves. When they discovered that their factory had misled them they offered me one of their other ranges that are available in 10oz within the margin, largely because they are fight gloves etc. I don't mind gloves coming in heavy personally, though i'd prefer if they didn't. But i'd freak out if gloves came in light. if you want 16ozs you have good reason to want that for sparring etc

I think roughly 2oz is enough to warrant a return. If a company is selling gloves advertised as being 14oz, and also selling gloves advertised at 16oz, and you order a 16oz glove.. they should not then sell you (due to manufacturing error) a glove that is actually 14oz. If that happens then I think you should be entitled to a return, even if I don't personally think a lot of that weight difference.

The only occasion where I'd really be bothered if a training glove was off-weight was if I had bought it specifically to mimic the weight and feel of the model of glove that I'd be fighting in. In that instance, the weight absolutely does matter. In other instances, it does not.

A glove with plenty of padding and that you feel is safe for sparring and can use happily does not suddenly become unsafe when you discover that it actually weighs less than the advertised 16oz. Concentrating on glove weight as a mantra for sparring-glove safety is something people do to make up for what they don't know about the equipment. And, obviously, if you come in with gloves labelled as less than 16oz to spar and you're above a certain weight then most gyms will refuse you, but I have never been to a place where they were so diligent as to actually weigh people's sparring gloves. If your glove is labelled as 16oz and safe for sparring, but comes in at 14oz, then there's no issue. It might only be a problem in this scenario if you specifically wanted 16oz specifically for some weight-related endurance and conditioning reasons.

Thanks for the comment minowa. You make a good point in that the quality and distribution of padding is much more important for sparring than raw weight of the glove itself.

I do feel though that if you are selling a product labelled 16oz, it should at least be closer to that size than the next. Although, I've never tried to return any of my gloves when they are ~2oz off, mainly because the pain of returns and I don't really notice that much.

I know I'm late to the discussion but I'd been wondering the same thing myself.
My old Thaismai gloves were 17oz each while my Windys are 16oz and 16.5oz which seems like a substantial difference between 2 gloves that are meant to be a pair.

My new Boon's have arrived and weigh in at a fraction over 14oz. They're noticeably lighter and feel completely different from the other thai made gloves I've had; very compact hand compartment and long cuff. As they were bought for sparring, I'm a little concerned about how light they are.

I'd always presumed that 16oz meant 16oz...

I know I'm late to the discussion but I'd been wondering the same thing myself.
My old Thaismai gloves were 17oz each while my Windys are 16oz and 16.5oz which seems like a substantial difference between 2 gloves that are meant to be a pair.

My new Boon's have arrived and weigh in at a fraction over 14oz. They're noticeably lighter and feel completely different from the other thai made gloves I've had; very compact hand compartment and long cuff. As they were bought for sparring, I'm a little concerned about how light they are.

I'd always presumed that 16oz meant 16oz...

My girlfriend uses 14oz boons for sparring and they come in around 13.5... If you weight over 140 or are a strong sub-120 you should return them.

What really shits me is how Reyes are so far off. I mean they are one of the most high end companies around after winning but they can't get their wrights right??? C,mon.

Back