The irony of the Reebok reprisals

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by giusti825, Aug 11, 2015.

1. giusti825

giusti825 ßanned

Looking at the situation with Schaub and Kennedy is kinda funny.

Because these guys were honest about their sponsorship money pre-reebok, Reebok has refused to produce their kits.

The two things i find ironic about this is that

1) neither of them were lying about the money they were losing nor did they say anything negative about Reebok.

2) Due to the ugliness of the uniforms, sales will be so low that not producing a fighters uniform will have little if any financial impact. There is little to no incentive for the fighters to lie about the deal in the first place.

2. mjmj

mjmj Black Belt

Can you find some sort of source to prove that? I've seen nothing, but that doesn't mean it's not out there.
    Maybe they haven't had any requests for them? That sure seems plausible.

3. BBMN

BBMN Pancakes?!

Yea, Reebok stand more to lose than the fighters I would imagine.

Poor business move.

4. jei

jei Danger Zone Admin Staff Member Forum Administrator

The source is that the kits for those fighters are no longer available for purchase on the reebok site. Schaub was initially available to buy but is no longer on the site. It happens to have been removed after his negative statements, so either it's a big coincidental glitch or the more reasonable belief that they intentionally took those kits down.

5. psg15

psg15 Orange Belt

I mean Schaub has shown on Joe Rogan's podcast that made six figures in sponsorship, before the Reebok deal.

It not hard to believe that Kennedy was making more money in sponsorship considering he was fighting for championships in Strikeforce.

And now there fighter kits are no longer available on the Reebok website.

Also think about this, low level fighters who have less than 5 fights in the UFC, have kits on the site, that probably doesn't sell. Then you have Schaub, who has a huge following, thanks to his podcast, and talks about how unfair the deal is, and is kit no longer available.

6. RoscoeRufus

RoscoeRufus Lineal Pootie Tang Belt Champion

this part is the kicker to me. even if you wanted to support a fighter, the kits are horrendous. Kinda like they don't want them selling at all...

7. Mr. Hammer

Mr. Hammer Silver Belt

I don't think that's what ironic means.

8. Mob69

Mob69 Black Belt

Agreed. The money gained from Reebok is so paltry that there is no incentive to cover up the truth. If you are losing money you may as well say so loudly. What are they gonna do? Not make a kit that nobody would buy anyway?! Wow.

The amount of money being lost by fighters should trigger a full-scale mutiny against he UFC. And I cannot express the scale of my loathing for trade unions.

9. mjmj

mjmj Black Belt

So the answer is no. And as mentioned, that’s not what ironic means.
    Maybe I’m missing something, but I see like 8 male fighters with fight kits on the website.
    Silva
    St. Pierre
    Valazquez
    McGregor
    Pettis
    Aldo
    Weidman
    Hendricks

Where are all these other you speak of?

10. giusti825

giusti825 ßanned

A reebok employee replied on chat that reebok removed his kit because he doesnt agree with the sponsorship deal. There is a screenshot of the conversation. Looking for it now.

11. giusti825

giusti825 ßanned

Or that the deal was so poorly executed for 3 reasons.

1) It was about concentration of sponsorship money for the UFC.

2) It was about cheap exposure for Reebok.

3) Neither company EVER actually gave a shit about the fighters cut of the deal (that portion was really a PR move).

With the way the deal was implemented, you gotta call a spade a spade.

12. giusti825

giusti825 ßanned

I dont think you understand what im describing as ironic.

13. spid3yo

spid3yo Guest

Does somebody really need to point out Reebok has no say in it? Reebok also has nothing to do with fighter money.

14. Spearfish CA

Spearfish CA Silver Belt Platinum Member

I understand why they took Schaub's down -- he literally told his fans "if you want to support me, buy my shirts on my website, don't buy the reebok stuff"

I mean why would Reebok keep making shirts with his name on it after that? That would be a stupid waste of money.

But Kennedy didn't say anything like that so this one makes no sense lol.

Honestly, fuck Reebok but the backlash against the UFC and Reebok is uncalled for. I'm sure they're not happy about the way the deal is going either.

It really was supposed to be good for everyone, but it hasn't worked out so far. It's like getting the wrong TV deal, they're kind of stuck right now and trying to make it work but it is what it is. No sense in whining about it and all the anger and outrage is totally uncalled for.

15. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

This would be a great question for a journalist to ask Reebok or a UFC representative, no?

16. mjmj

mjmj Black Belt

Seems my question was ignored. I’ll ask again, where are all of these fighters kits some of you speak of? I see the eight I listed, and that’s it. I keep seeing claims that all fighters have them, except for a couple who spoke negatively. Some people go as far as to use a Reebok customer service flunky as their “source” (assuming the conversation was real). Again, where can I see all of these kits out there? The ones for all the fighters, including the ones no one knows.

17. Darwinambrosius

Darwinambrosius Thought you had a friend, boy?

There's not any irony in what you've described.

18. MixMartialFarts

MixMartialFarts Butters Belt

They were removed cause Rebok found out those guys are douche bags and therefore not a single one would be sold.