The irony of all this interim nonsense..

Frankie stayed at one weight instead of reaching and fucking up two divisions with nonsense.
Let's stop deflecting and talk about Conor ffs.

You do realize that when you say that Conor is the worst example, and i say that I disagree I think fighter X is the worst example because of so and so, that I'm not deflecting. This whole argument started because you called it the McTreatment, and I just gave an example of fighters that were getting the same treatment before Conor even stepped foot in the octagon.

I've been trying to think, is there another "champ" who had to relinquish the title because he simply would not defend it?
Almost sure there are other examples but can't recall em.
That's because other fighters NEED the belt to make money. Conor could drop his two belts and still make more in a year than all the roster combined.

The irony is that they are devaluing titles by overvaluing them. They keep making these interim title fights because they don't think the fighters will sell on their own, so they just tack on a belt to help boost sales.
I do think interim belts do add a little mustard to the cards. They're not meaningless.

Let's make divisions and title pictures so muddy, nobody knows what the fuck is going on or who has earned what, love it
It's so fuckin complicated. Who can follow such complexity.

Lolll alright, sooo he

1: Did not save the event by fighting is what you were trying to say, regardless of his own motivation? Miesha vs Holly would have done the same numbers? He could have easily fought Nate or someone else for the same money a month or two later. Also hard to pick a guy with a training camp two weeks in advance. Also why is he supposed to pick the toughest possible replacement fight. JBJ didnt even accept Sonnen on short notice lol.

2: Aldo would have gotten one if he fought at 189. Instead after 6 months of promotion he pulled out two weeks in advance, which lead to another 5/6 months of promos of Aldo vs McGregor, which resulted in a 13 second fight. Had he fought at 189 he would most likely have gotten it at 194. People were fatigued of the match-up at that point.

3:
Lol, Frankie was on a losing streak when he got to face Aldo. KZ had three wins against which included Leonard Garcia and Poirier. Florian beat Nunes before he got a shot. Lamas beat 4 guys including Koch and Grice. Conors streak is probably one of the best at FW before getting his titleshot at Aldo.
Only thing I could kinda agree on is getting the LW belt after going 1-1 with Diaz, but again, he could have waited it out like guys like Rumble or JBJ have done.

4: Superfights have no set in stone definition. Conor McGregor the biggest mma superstar that just KO'd alltime great Aldo in 13 seconds, facing the LW champ, going for two belts, is a superfight.

5: Overhyped. Sure. Guess that makes guys like Mendes, Aldo, Poirier, Holloway (he was young I get it, Conor was super experienced at the time at 25 tho) and Alvarez just okay wins?

Again stretching the truth and hypocrisy... please stop.

1) Yes, he was supposed to pick the top fighters!~ He was fighting to be the champ!! Are you saying you know he would lose to the top fighters? (no wonder he refuses to defend his belt!! apparently you don't trust him to fight top fighter unless they have no camp!)

2) So you are saying Aldo should have fought with 2 weeks notice, at LW and NOT for the belt and you consider this an immediate rematch?
Seriously, you are insane!
Conor refused to fight Aldo at UFC 196. Then at UFC 200. then he refused to fight him again at 202 and at 205.
This is why he lost his belt. Stop sugar coating it or making excuses.

3) Frankie was the LW champion with title defenses over BJ Penn and Gray Maynard. Plus he didn't get a shortcut to his LW title shot.
Quite different than Conor who got a shortcut to FW belt then was 1-1 against a journeymen and you still try to justify his title shot (at LW).

4) no, it is set in stone. The only people trying to change it are people like you, making excuses and justifying shortcuts due to popularity.
You are a shame to the sport of MMA.
You cry and protect your favorite fighter.
I mean What kind of fan are you?
You don't want to see him in wars
You don't want to see him be challenged by the best guys
You don't want to see him fighting different fighting styles.
You just want him to pick and chose his opponents based on what sells, what can he get from the fight!

I mean, you fill your chest claiming "He done what no one else ever did!!!" but you forget Aldo wanted to do this and was forbidden by the UFC.
So how much of an accomplishment this is? The only accomplishments this is is that he is popular and the UFC is greedy enough to change the rules. That's all there is to it!

5) Over-hyped remains true.
His ONLY notable wins are Aldo and Eddy.
A no-camp Mendes (who was beating on Conor until he run out of gas) is no accomplishment. Not when Conor picked Mendes (who was hunting) over Frankie (who was in the gym).
And I find it curious you don't mention Diaz. But then again, I know why. Lost to him when he had no training camp, then spends 300k and gets a very pedestrian majority win over Diaz... for running most of the fight?
Admit it. He is over-hyped for what has done so far.

And it is mostly thanks to people like you, that are borderline not even MMA fans.
You root for one fighter. You do not care for the sport.
You want him to get all shortcuts he can possibly get and you bark at the idea of him ever defending anything he got so far against bad matchups.

Fighters are legendary because they fought the best.
GSP
Anderson Silva
Fedor
heck, even Nog, BJ Penn, Hendo, Wandi and many other legends of this sport.
They are revered by the wars they raged in the octagon, not by the handpicked opponents and easy path to title shots!!

Compare to Conor?
All he did was winning two belts he refuses to defend!

...and you try to justify it... tsc tsc tsc...
for shame!

Edit: and before you try to claim I hate COnor, I do not.
what I hate are the pseudo-fans like you!
I rather see Conor lose to Khabib than to claim he is the best of the LW division while refusing to defend his belt.
The same way I wanted to see Anderson Silva fight Sonnen (and rematch him).
The same way I want to see Jon Jones rematch DC and Gus
The same way I enjoyed BJ Penn, Hughes and GSP rivalry.

Last edited:
That's because other fighters NEED the belt to make money. Conor could drop his two belts and still make more in a year than all the roster combined.
Congratulations.
You have no fucking clue what the belt should symbolize!
Guys like you are the reason greed has overtook MMA.

I'm really digging that AV:D
Haha... Thanx bro! Everyone waz putting Santa Hats on their Avi'z & I waz like f*ck it... let's try em on me lights!

The 3 Wize Lights n stuff!

th

The irony of the situation seems to have little to do with McGregor. Just over a year ago the guy won the featherweight belt and just over a month ago he won the lightweight belt. Heaven forbid anyone wait a month or more to defend a belt. And a year plus before defending isn't unheard of.

IT IS unheard of to go 2 non title fights out of your weightclass instead of deefending, if not tell me another UFC "champ" that did it.
it isn't the time, it's that you fight elsewhere, hence the interim. but hey a mcbnugget fan will never admit this, so whatever

IT IS unheard of to go 2 non title fights out of your weightclass instead of deefending, if not tell me another UFC "champ" that did it.
it isn't the time, it's that you fight elsewhere, hence the interim. but hey a mcbnugget fan will never admit this, so whatever
A different dialog was written at the start of the McGregor saga. You have a guy carrying a huge fan base in a sport that is trying to grow. The UFC was looking to capitalize on that fan base by lining up a superfight between the lightweight champ ( then Dos Anjos) and the featherweight champ. It made for a great story. The kind of story that goes down in legend. Unfortunately the 5 March 2016 date was postponed by a broken foot. We all know what happened next.
As far as Mcgregor being undeserving of these title shots, we see who is wearing the strap now. And for opponents being hand picked, McGregor initiated the challenge for the lightweight belt with Dos Anjos at the helm. Little did anyone know Alvarez would be the challenge that awaited.

The featherweight belt has gone undefended for over a year without a defence in sight. Stripping of this belt is justified. The lightweight strap he wears is a month old. Give it some time.

We remember people who do unique things. For example, a champ who defends his title 8 times will not be remembered: there's a guy who defended it 9 times and he's the only important name. Being "the only guy to fight twice out of his weight class while holding a UFC belt" might seem unheard of but not quite. Silva did it, although he had defended prior and didn't do both fights back to back. Conor is also the only Irish ginger left handed MMA fighter to ever win a belt. Nobody will cry or celebrate that. Conor does landmark achievements and haters HATE him for it. In a sense, he's the first to walk on the Moon.

Who remembers the second guy to walk on the Moon? That guy had no buzz surrounding him ;)

Back