The Invisible Gracie: George Gracie

Shaolin Bushido

Yamato Damashii
@Gold
Reaction score
I've long searched for any info I could find on George who was one of the first champions of the Gracie clan ... even predating Helio's fight career and even his membership in Carlos' first academy. Later on he and Carlos parted ways and this article addresses this schism. He and his contributions were whitewashed from the family annals and finally I've found an article that answers the question, "Why"?

From BJJ Heroes' site; I hope you find it interesting.

George Gracie - BJJ Heroes

Last edited:
Great read, thanks!

wow, a while back i was lookin all over for info on him and found nothing, all i knew was he was the 1st gracie champ and he had a falling out so ive always been eager to learn the story, thanks for the find

Someone tell Ginger Hillary that there was a Ginger Gracie !

Very interesting always love reading about the history, its crazy to see the politics even back then were ridiculous.

In 1934 George spent a week in Jail together with his brothers Helio and Carlos. The 3 Gracies had been acused of beating up a former challenger, Manuel Rufino, who had taken charges against the trio. The court set them free after the prosecution failed to present any sort of evidence.

didn't know this, cool.

Very interesting always love reading about the history, its crazy to see the politics even back then were ridiculous.

They should be considered rediculous. I don't know. All these stories about "the old days" make these guys come across as womanizing, trash talking thugs. To me it's like the elephant in the room.

Back