The human mind is incapable of a truly original thought.

Real_Magi

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Try to think of a new texture that you haven't experienced before, or a new color, or a new sense outside of our 5. Not only is it impossible to think of something that would be perceived by our 5 senses that we haven't yet, it's also impossible to imagine a sense that we don't have inherently.

Even if you some how create an entirely new universe, a universe is something you know about already, so it's not original. Even if you fill it with dragons and unicorns, those things are steeped in lore and mythology and have been around for thousands of years. Even conceiving those wouldn't be original because a horse with a horn is just the combination of unoriginal ideas, the same goes for the dragon.

What can we deduce from this?

If you're going to keep naming ridiculous shit like, "A car with a golden elephant on the hood!!!" and claim that it's original despite the fact that cars and elephants are not original, I guess this thread was pointless. My bad for expecting some philosophical discussion on a philosophical perspective...

Last edited:
Lol what bullshit TS.

This is me btw

338209_o.gif

That every human is capable of doing great things, but it depends on how they grew up and their experiences through life that determine how far they go.

Oh..OH! I know how this one goes.

Now try to infer the existence of the material world from your sensory information.

Try to think of a new texture that you haven't experienced before, or a new color, or a new sense outside of our 5. Not only is it impossible to think of something that would be perceived by our 5 senses that we haven't yet, it's also impossible to imagine a sense that we don't have inherently.

Tells me you don't have an imagination and you likely have sex in the missionary position.

Sorry Magi, I didn't mean for my previous comment to be hostile.

Can you explain why you think this is a concern?

Tells me you don't have an imagination and you likely have sex in the missionary position.

No matter what sexual position you believe that you have came up with in an original way, it's still a sexual position and sexual positions are certainly anything but original. In fact, sex is engraved into our race on an instinctive level to ensure the survival of this race. There is nothign original about sex.

interpretation: threadstarter is incapable of an original thought.

So you're saying humans can't think of anything that they haven't already witnessed?

So who has psychokinetic powers? Who has the power of turning invisible? I think you didn't think this through.

Try to think of a new texture that you haven't experienced before, or a new color, or a new sense outside of our 5.

"Adults are obsolete children." - Dr. Suess

dr-seuss.jpg

Sorry Magi, I didn't mean for my previous comment to be hostile.

Can you explain why you think this is a concern?

Well, it's just something I find interesting honestly. From a philosophical point of view, it could suggest or support a myriad of different theories, but first we have to determine whether or not it is actually factual or not.

If we are truly incapable of true originality in the sense that I described in the op, what would that support or disprove?

And I'm not talking about an original story, or an original design for a motorcycle, you see, stories always involve situations and beings that are not original for we experience the emotions and situations through out our life time. The same goes for an original motorcycle design, motorcycles have been around for years and even the first one wasn't truly original in the sense that wheels and combustion engines were around for years before the motorcycle.

Even before that the combustion engine was simply a matter of harnessing that which has been around since the beginning of time -- fire.

What unimaginative discourse.

So which is it? We can't imagine anything that hasn't been thought of before or we can't imagine a new sensation?

It's clear to me you are being divisive for the sake of being divisive to amuse yourself. How often do you make things up as you go?

So you're saying humans can't think of anything that they haven't already witnessed?

So who has psychokinetic powers? Who has the power of turning invisible? I think you didn't think this through.

Psychokinetic powers are not even remotely original, neither is invisibility. Darkness makes things invisible.

Guys, do I seriously need to keep explaining why that which you believe to be original really isn't original? Or can we move on and get truly philosophical?

Where are your senses that you weren't born with? Where are the colors you haven't witnessed through out your life? How about the textures? One thing's for sure, they're not in your mind.

this thread is so unoriginal.

real answer: having a completely original thought is rare among mankind but has happened. usually, thoughts are an original expansion upon an existing framework.

The true hilarity here is that I actually thought that I wouldn't need to give ridiculous examples (in the op) like the ones you guys are naming then explain why they're not actually original, because I thought you guys would understand why they're not original without my explaining why...

Back