The Hook Debate: Palm in or Palm down? (17 threads mashed together, have fun)

P

PhilCollins

Rich Franklin throws his with his palm down...Liddell with the basic hook.....which do you think is better and why? or is it just a matter of personal preference?

there are pros and cons to both....with a vertical fist, you usually will land with your top two knuckles....however, with a horizontal fist, you can sneak in that little gap when they attempt to block the hook.

if youre worried about hurting your hands, the russian hook is really good for that....a lot of people talk down on it and think its weird lookin, but it was designed for punching without gloves. Ive had success with it.

it really doesn't matter you can be good with either one. horizontal is better close in but it doesnt have the reach of vertical. if you're wondering about this what you need is some real training because throwing your hooks vertically or horizontally with bad form isnt going to get you anywhere. sorry. a russian hook is a haymaker

Ive been told throw it horizontal for close range and verticle when they are farther away.

OpethDrums said:
it really doesn't matter you can be good with either one. horizontal is better close in but it doesnt have the reach of vertical. if you're wondering about this what you need is some real training because throwing your hooks vertically or horizontally with bad form isnt going to get you anywhere. sorry. a russian hook is a haymaker

you assume i dont train, i train more than you most likely

yes i'm sure you train more than me. you are probably in amazing shape and have excellent technique

yeh , anyway , i find vertical (thumb up) hooks to b more powerful but tend 2 b a lil lose . horizontal hooks lack power a bit comparatively, but i tend 2 throw em much tighter.

I really like to throw them vertical. Much safer on the hands.

^^ as do i. that's what i was taught, so that's what i do.

do whatever your trainer teaches you, he knows what he's doing.

OpethDrums said:
sorry. a russian hook is a haymaker

disagree. Any hook is a haymaker if you open it up wide. what makes the hook "russian" is simply turning the wrist AWAY from you....a lot like a mexican hook, only instead of a horizontal fist, you turn it a few degrees more and aim with the wrist/side of the fist.

TwIsTeD&BrOkEn said:
disagree. Any hook is a haymaker if you open it up wide. what makes the hook "russian" is simply turning the wrist AWAY from you....a lot like a mexican hook, only instead of a horizontal fist, you turn it a few degrees more and aim with the wrist/side of the fist.

i understand the punch you're talking about.. the one fedor punched fujita with after the left kick and the one igor used a lot. yeah i guess that maximizes the shoulder's use in the punch. mark hunt uses those too, they are called hooks and haymakers. im kind of ashamed of how closed minded i've been lately. i have some kind of grudge against "russian hooks" and "dirty boxing" i guess i think they are overrated and don't deserve to be talked about

truely to have a good base in fundamentals is key to being good at ANYTHING...but once you have that, its nice to learn the "tricks of the trade" so your game doesnt get stale.

Just wanted to ask how do the boxers(and pretty much anyone else) throw their hooks?

I am used to throwing them with my palm facing me but at my gym all the coaches say throw them with the palm facing downwards.

Throwing it this way does make me less likely to throw the punch as wildly from a wider distance.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of both ways?

Thanks

from my experiences ive always messed up my hands from throwing hooks with palm facing down. i always end up clipping the pinky knuckle which broke my hand once.

crooked said:
from my experiences ive always messed up my hands from throwing hooks with palm facing down. i always end up clipping the pinky knuckle which broke my hand once.

Ditto for me. I throw them palm facing me. Palm down and I end up crushing my pinky knuckle and my hand is at the very lest sore for the next few days.

With the palm facing down hook, the elbows will be higher which forces you to turn your body. In other words, palm facing down hooks look cleaner and usually are crisper(more power). The plam facing inward hooks are easier to throw and let the user connect at a greater distance, however many people turn these into pseudo arm punches because the user turns the body less(which is what generates KO power for hooks).

Edit: The palm facing down hook is a beautiful weapon when executed properly(speed and power). It took me a year to get this punch down. Now I can generate more power with this punch than any other. My left and right hook sound and look almost like my low roundhouse kick on the bag.

Palm facing me for body punche's, Palm facing the floor when aiming for face/Jaw.

Personally i think i can get more power on a punch when the palm is facing me, but when hitting to the head and jaw of the opponent it is quite hard to connect properly with the big knuckles unless your palm is facing down....I suppose it depends on the person and how they fight.

Back