The Hobbit- why do all the huge heavily armoured orcs have glass jaws?

Isn't it mentioned somewhere in LOTR that the Orcs were much weaker in the Hobbit era?

Let's not mention the books. This is the result of Peter Jackson turning into George Lucas and falling in love with cgi. The LotR's trilogy had orcs and trolls mean something. It took the entire fellowship to bring down a single cave troll in the mines of moria , but in the hobbit those trolls are just cans for villagers to walk through.

But yes, the orcs in the hobbit are not urak-hai's, but in the book, the majority of the dwarves in Thorin's party aren't veteran warriors either. With the exception of the 4 hobbits, the fellowship of the ring are legit bad asses. Gimli, Aragorn, Boromir, and Legalos could probably take out all 13 dwarves by themselves.

But in the hobbit movies, those dwarves fight thier way through a goblin city, killing a hundred goblins by themselves.

But in the hobbit movies, those dwarves fight thier way through a goblin city, killing a hundred goblins by themselves.

Pretty sure they did in the book too.

Same reason the Chitauri are absolute cans in The Avengers...because at the end of the day most people just want to see the heroes lay waste to the heels.

Sure.

And we should go on to say the same about the Die Hard Movie franchise. The Lethal Weapon franchise. Every Arnie movie. Pretty much every action movie or tv series ever made where the key hero characters never die despite over whelming odds and in fact are super-hero's with invulnerability powers simply not disclosed.

This has been a staple of action movies for a long time and why so many now (myself included) are so drawn to the Game of Thrones series where there are no super hero characters and everyone can die.

I also think it is why legit super hero movies are taking over the action genre since at least now they are giving us a reason as to why these guys can always face such long odds and survive. they are not normal mortals.

Game of Thrones is sort of doing the opposite of conventional action storytelling. If it makes total sense for a loved character to win and get revenge, he/she is probably losing brutally.

i was watching that 70 minute review of the phantom menace and there was one thing that stood out when the guy talks about how all this crap is going on on the screen,

the original star wars had 1 on 1 light saber battles, whereas the new ones have like 75 jedis running around and all these robots and shit,

the 1 on 1 battles of the original star wars were way better! nowadays movies just fill the screen up with too much shit (i feel old) but i'd much rather have like a significantly less amount of orcs that are much harder to beat. would be more entertaining

like maybe there would be one scene, where like bilbo and 4 other weaklings are able to take down 1 orc by repeatedly hitting him with rocks u know

Sure.

And we should go on to say the same about the Die Hard Movie franchise. The Lethal Weapon franchise. Every Arnie movie. Pretty much every action movie or tv series ever made where the key hero characters never die despite over whelming odds and in fact are super-hero's with invulnerability powers simply not disclosed.

But there are two types:

1: The action hero has to actually try, gets bloodied, barely survives, or even dies.
2: The action hero doesn't get his hair messed up.

Type 2 drives me nuts. LOTR isn't even suspenseful. The trick IMO is to get the audience's subconscious to believe that the hero could lose. Without that you're just watching shit fly around a screen.

Even Schwarzenegger looked pathetic at times during Conan and Predator. Groveling to the snake lord (whatever his name was), or bloody muddy and beaten to a pulp and inches from defeat. Rocky lost. Rambo cried and gave up. Maximus died. Riggs was a mess, he could have died in the first movie and it would have made perfect sense.

Legolas is basically Steven Segal with a bow. It may as well be a gatling laser. It's not compelling to me.

Tomato - Tomahto, no big deal.

i thought lotr was pretty suspenseful. a few characters end up dying, frodo even gets his fingers bitten off at the end and the entire series he's affected by the ring more and more. it's not like the hobbit.

Because good, in reality, is a much weaker force than evil. They're playing to people's fantasies that it were the other way around.

SPOILERS If you clicked this thread and didn't see the film GTFO anyways but again SPOILERS

I didn't like this last one at all, what a waste of time. And the end was just fucking hilarious, I've seen all the LOTR movies and god damn, every damn battle ends with an unknown army coming out of nowhere to help. This shit happens every fucking time.

Especially those big birds man, they save them their asses so many times it's unreal. Them birds are obviously the best army there is in the LOTR universe, yet they ain't get no air time at all.

Homie Gandalf could just call them up before every battle and win all them wars easy peasy. Ninja a fucking drama queen doe.

Seriously tho, is it like that in the books too, can't really remember. If so that's very lame...

Have you seen an action movie......ever?

Same reason the Chitauri are absolute cans in The Avengers...because at the end of the day most people just want to see the heroes lay waste to the heels.

Avengers has the shitauri
Middle-Earth has the orcs
Star Wars prequels have droids

pretty much an enemy so succeptible to death so the director can shove as much cool cgi action shit in as possible

But there are two types:

1: The action hero has to actually try, gets bloodied, barely survives, or even dies.
2: The action hero doesn't get his hair messed up.

Type 2 drives me nuts. LOTR isn't even suspenseful. The trick IMO is to get the audience's subconscious to believe that the hero could lose. Without that you're just watching shit fly around a screen.

Even Schwarzenegger looked pathetic at times during Conan and Predator. Groveling to the snake lord (whatever his name was), or bloody muddy and beaten to a pulp and inches from defeat. Rocky lost. Rambo cried and gave up. Maximus died. Riggs was a mess, he could have died in the first movie and it would have made perfect sense.

Legolas is basically Steven Segal with a bow. It may as well be a gatling laser. It's not compelling to me.

Tomato - Tomahto, no big deal.

3 main characters die in the Hobbit so what are you talking about? They were really anticlimactic though. You don't get the feeling like Tauriel and Kili really loved each other. Like no passionate kiss or holding hands or some romantic speech. The Bolg and Azog fights were pretty lame too. The Azog battle was stupid. How did he hold his breath under freezing cold water for that long.

There is no consistency. The Orcs have glass jaws yet can breath in freezing cold water for like 3 minutes whilst not panicking?

Orcs are all strength and aggression with little skill or brains to match.
How about storm troopers? They're supposed to be an army of Jango Fetts and they drop like flies. And don't get me started on the Foot Clan...

The orcs die easily to the heroes for the same reason the Stormtroopers always miss the heroes in Star Wars. It wouldn't make for much of a movie if the heroes were all killed in the first skirmish in which they were outnumbered.

Especially in the Hobbit films there were 'heroes' and only the heroes on each side could fight for shit. It's pretty common in action movies.

Strangely I never noticed this the first time I watched them. Now having watched all 6 movies recently it really bothered me. Even in earlier ones like the battle of helms deep when Aragorn launches Gimli like a sack of potatoes on a bridge loaded with Orcs they just kill like 40 of them like nothing.

Crowded narrow bridge. Hit one guy and domino effect ensues. Bitches flying all over the place. Shit makes sense.

The thing that bothered me about that scene is Aragorn clearing a fucking 10' gap while wearing his battle attire.

How about storm troopers? They're supposed to be an army of Jango Fetts and they drop like flies. And don't get me started on the Foot Clan...

Legit out loud laughter, well put

I always wondered why stormtroopers wore all that cumbersome armor when it could stop a shot from the smallest of blasters or even absorb the punishment of a little rock flung by 3 foot tall teddy bear.

Back