The hilarious situation in California

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Yecny, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Stoic1

Stoic1 Patriot

A couple of years ago I spent less than $400 to have an electrician come to the house and wire up a transfer switch on my junction box. It allows me to start my 5k generator and run my house. I can't run everything but I keep the fridge up and can do a load of laundry or the dish washer in addition to charging the phones and have a few lights on. 5 Gallons of gas last about 3 days on use. Longest outage we had was about a week. That was a long week for some people without generators.

Cubo de Sangre likes this.
  2. Oliver Clothesoff

Oliver Clothesoff Brown Belt Platinum Member

Now would be a good time to start a generator installation service. Virtually all of them are back logged for a month or more. One place is booked through the end of February 2020.

3. trident

trident Water Belt

First of all there was ample warning time. Warnings started last week.

Secondly, last year nearly a million acres burned in California and we suffered horrible air for weeks on end.

This shut off is an attempt to prevent threats from high winds blowing powerlines into ignitable brush.

Fucking people complaining about it. Even the retarded Governor.

What's the fucking problem again? Is your life inconvenienced for a few days?

Disgraceful.

4. trident

trident Water Belt

Why we dont is beyond me. And tidal power too. And even wind. The supply is fucking limitless.

5. Trotsky

Trotsky Gold Belt

So....a private, publicly-traded company making a decision = muh California Democrats bad?

Also, this sounds like a bid for nationalization. Also, I agree with that bid.

6. trident

trident Water Belt

I really hope we are not in the minority when this idea gains enough momentum to actually happen.

There was a very interesting story last year after the Paradise fire about a fire chief (well respected in his field) who took the job in the early '80s (I think, maybe late '70s) and quit 4 months later because "everyone here is going to burn to death and I am not going to be responsible".

What was the problem? He wanted cut trees along the powerlines and the public protested "we live here because of the trees".

Of course he didnt want to cut every last fucking tree down but that's what the pushback was. So he quit.

Now his prediction took over 30 years to happen, but he was right. The place was a death trap.

People complain about the smoke. And then they complain about the rain. And then they complain about trees being cut down, or about outages meant to lessen the burden on the infrastructure.

God forbid anyone be inconvenienced

Oliver Clothesoff likes this.
  7. trident

trident Water Belt

And just what is that going to look like? Genuinely curious what people think.

8. Trotsky

Trotsky Gold Belt

A government-owned power industry? It can look like a lot of things. You can find examples all around the world. It can look like a state-owned national LLC like Vattenfall in Sweden, a collection of nationally-administered national companies like in China, a collection of regional government-operated companies like in Australia, etc.

9. Oliver Clothesoff

Our government here is too incompetent and corrupt to have that much power. They'd use power outages to push their agenda and next thing we know, we are all being fined for using "too much electricity". It would be a money and power grab and the service would be underfunded, unreliable, overly complicated, and wrought with corruption.

trident likes this.
  10. trident

trident Water Belt

Ok and you have confidence in the California political structure to handle something like that?

11. Oliver Clothesoff

He obviously doesn't live here. ;)

trident likes this.
  12. Trotsky

Trotsky Gold Belt

Oh, okay.

Sounds like you should move.

Also, progressive use rates for electricity should absolutely be a thing.

13. Fight To Win

Fight To Win Silver Belt

Your state is a joke for many more reasons than just that. But yes this is the most recent example.

14. RoosterHucklebuck

RoosterHucklebuck Purple Belt

Also happening in California

15. Trotsky

Trotsky Gold Belt

Yes. I think administration of water services (in addition to other public services) has shown that public administration is superior. Honestly, public administration of water in California would have been incalculably beneficial to the state when it was experiencing drought a few years back while companies like Nestle were bottling millions of gallons of water and selling it back to customers at thousand-percent markups.

16. Oliver Clothesoff

Not true. Govt. intervention is precisely WHY we have this problem. What we need is another reservoir. We have plenty of room for one and it would solve the problem. The ONLY reason we don't is because our Governors are too afraid of the Environmental Lobby who are against it.

Protectandserve likes this.
  17. trident

trident Water Belt

I really think you are over estimating this state's ability to run something like that and I doubt it would have helped during record droughts. And Nestle? C'mon. You think they wouldnt be able to further corrupt this body? Your faith in these reps standing up to profit behemoths like Nestle is fantasy.

18. Arkain2K

Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

We already have a generator wired up for earthquake emergecy as well, but since we also have solar panels that produces more power than we need, I might put in a Tesla Power Wall to store and use our own electricity.

Oliver Clothesoff likes this.
  19. TeTe

TeTe The waiting drove me mad Staff Member Senior Moderator

What shit show that has become, thankfully it sounds like they won't be doing that down here.

They're obviously paranoid after what happened last year, and I get it, but they aren't going to be able to stop every instance where something like this can happen. Just like they can't stop every dolt from starting and putting out a campfire in an irresponsible manner. Or stop every case of arson.

But at least here in SoCal, you'd think the electric companies would be able to build or update the grid to withstand the Santa Ana winds and then some so this doesn't happen. Of course we don't have the same amount trees and underbrush they do up north either.

20. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre President of the War Room

What's this assessment based on?