The Hierarchy Of Muay Thai Brands?

The weight is whack in fairtex gloves too. 16's usually run 17-17.5oz, and they were really uncomfortable the ones I tried n the bag. Nice quality though.

Looking at the last half page of comments, it seems like we can come to the conclusion that a lot of Thai manufacturers are somewhat inconsistent in quality over the course of time (or, if you want to put it more nicely, they're constantly experimenting with different manufacturing techniques). :icon_lol:

can i ask you guys' opinion on shorts, are muay thai shorts durable and can withstand many washing? or should i get those hayabusa shorts (they seem indestructible, designed to withstand ground grappling)

also i really don't like venum's designs, i wish they made some more plainer variants.
The shorts themselves are very durable, but depending on the brand and model, some of the stitched on designs and other "bling" can show wear and tear from regular washing. My Fairtex and Twins shorts are doing great -- only a few popped stitches on the embroidered designs here and there (and my Fairtex shorts are over 10 years old), but my Top Kings' embroidered patterns started to nick and tear after about 5 washes (although the shorts themselves are still doing great). I think it has to do with the material used on the designs: my Fairtex used thick cotton for the lettering, and my Twins used a shiny vinyl material whereas my Top Kings used layered satin. Once you've kicked and kneed in MT shorts, you'll never want to strike in MMA boardies ever again haha!

I would personally rank Raja higher, in my opinion they are better than Twins

My bgv9s are here in town today and ill be picking them up in about an hour, ill give you guys initial impressions side by side with a bgv1.

My bgv9s are here in town today and ill be picking them up in about an hour, ill give you guys initial impressions side by side with a bgv1.

Congrats! Looking forward to the comparison!

Looking at the last half page of comments, it seems like we can come to the conclusion that a lot of Thai manufacturers are somewhat inconsistent in quality over the course of time (or, if you want to put it more nicely, they're constantly experimenting with different manufacturing techniques). :icon_lol:

The shorts themselves are very durable, but depending on the brand and model, some of the stitched on designs and other "bling" can show wear and tear from regular washing. My Fairtex and Twins shorts are doing great -- only a few popped stitches on the embroidered designs here and there (and my Fairtex shorts are over 10 years old), but my Top Kings' embroidered patterns started to nick and tear after about 5 washes (although the shorts themselves are still doing great). I think it has to do with the material used on the designs: my Fairtex used thick cotton for the lettering, and my Twins used a shiny vinyl material whereas my Top Kings used layered satin. Once you've kicked and kneed in MT shorts, you'll never want to strike in MMA boardies ever again haha!

YOu are correct about the slight differences even between the same models from the same companies when talking about Thai gear, I mentioned it in other threads before, its not really a problem but I have multiple pairs of BGV1s that are all slightly different in fit, material and construction but the craftmanship on them is fine on all of them.

FOr example, I have some bgv1s that are the limited edition nation print, the leather is very nice and the material used to secure the thumb is almost like cord, on another pair of limited edition THai pride gloves, the leather is shinier and thinner and there is leather to secure the thimb rather than cord.

All slight differences but if you find one you like then you are set. I have seen the same exact type thing with top king, windy, boon and Twins.

All handmade gloves are like that like Reyes, grant, etc. an an example mayweather tries several pairs of Grants to get the 2 gloves that he wants for fight night

Could you tell us what makes you think that? Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
I like the overall feel of the gloves better, hand compartment in the twins is a bit to wide to for me personally. I have been using the rajas longer then the time period of the twins and the velcro is holding up much better and is still pretty much as good as the day i got them. The little plastic twins patch on the cuff is ripped apart on both gloves (i think they have regular clothe patches now) i do have the newer style rajas with the crown logo so maybe they stepped up quality wise since older versons.

thanks Harukaze, i think i will get some twins special shorts in plain black.
You're very welcome! You'll like them! :D

I like the overall feel of the gloves better, hand compartment in the twins is a bit to wide to for me personally. I have been using the rajas longer then the time period of the twins and the velcro is holding up much better and is still pretty much as good as the day i got them. The little plastic twins patch on the cuff is ripped apart on both gloves (i think they have regular clothe patches now) i do have the newer style rajas with the crown logo so maybe they stepped up quality wise since older versons.
Awesome, thank you very much for the info. I have a 2013 pair of the the Twins, and there have definitely been some changes compared to previous models on their end as well. I'll make it a point to take a look at Raja's next time I go glove shopping (along with Boon's). :)

I have red 16oz boon gloves for 3 months now. they look brand new, they perform great (perfect wrist support and great padding) and i just love them. i don't think there is a better glove for the price they cost.
i use them about 4 times a week for sparring and partner drills...

The padding in my Boons lasted a good 7 months. It's not that the padding completely wore down, it's just that it became soft and compressed from bag work. They're still good for mitts/pads and only on the hardest bags can I feel my knuckles.

The padding in my Boons lasted a good 7 months. It's not that the padding completely wore down, it's just that it became soft and compressed from bag work. They're still good for mitts/pads and only on the hardest bags can I feel my knuckles.

I was just going to mention this. It does seem like bag/pad/mitt work crushes boons a bit faster than some other Thai gloves I've used. The pair I have now just gets used for sparring since it takes me so damn long to get a pair and I went through my last pair fairly quickly hitting bags and pads 4 times a week.

I was just going to mention this. It does seem like bag/pad/mitt work crushes boons a bit faster than some other Thai gloves I've used. The pair I have now just gets used for sparring since it takes me so damn long to get a pair and I went through my last pair fairly quickly hitting bags and pads 4 times a week.

Duly noted. Thank you and the others for the follow-up on the Boon's.

yeah i don't mean that Boon's padding is not durable, they're in the same condition when i got them when brand new. i just think the padding is just a bit thinner by design and my knuckles are more susceptible to pain or something.

i have these other bag gloves that i don't use anymore with thicker and denser "bayfill" foam padding, they protect your knuckles more but the thinker foam often makes me roll my fist (it don't connect so well). i really like the shape of the they have a nice flat striking surface, and excellent wrist protection and hand compartment fitted feeling.

i just like the way the boons fit that the foam isn't even that big of an issue to me you can just use knuckle guards if needed.

also the boons have a long cuff, i have short forearms and it sorts of gets into the way of doing elbows.

Sounds like you might want to take a pair of Twins out for a spin then haha. Excellent knuckle padding and a shorter cuff (great for clinch work).

Sounds like you might want to take a pair of Twins out for a spin then haha. Excellent knuckle padding and a shorter cuff (great for clinch work).

Yeah, for pure Muay Thai training, Twins are better or more appropriate. Boons are kind of a cross between a Thai glove and a Western glove--that's kind of why I love em' lol.

Twins gloves are very durable. Fairtex and Top King are also very good.
I'd avoid Yokkao. I've never bought any of their gear but everyone I know that has complains about the poor quality.

Twins gloves are very durable. Fairtex and Top King are also very good.
I'd avoid Yokkao. I've never bought any of their gear but everyone I know that has complains about the poor quality.

I heard that Yokkao finally got their own plant this past year and their stuff is decent now.
Anyone else hear something along these lines?

I heard that Yokkao finally got their own plant this past year and their stuff is decent now.
Anyone else hear something along these lines?

Even if I heard that, I still stay away.

Back