The Heavyweights - The Stats

treelo

//Do something here
@red
Reaction score
I know we talk about them a lot on here, but i actually thinking today(work was quiet).

When was the last time the top 5 Heavyweights in the world only had 2 losses between them all?

And bear in mind, there have been 3 fights between them already, we could possibly extend this further to the top 10(bearing in mind who you consider top 10) and get the following stats:

Fighters: 10
Wins: 271
Losses: 7
Draws: 3
Fights between top 10 fighters: 6

1. Joshua
2. Fury
3. Wilder
4. Whyte
5. Ortiz
6. Povetkin
7. Parker
8. Kownacki
9. Miller
10. Pulev

I'm using the Rings top 10 for this, but i dont recall another period in HW history these sort of stats compare.

I would personally probably stop at Parker, as i dont think those below him are tested, but the top 7 big guys in the world right now are very good fighters.

Hell, you can always argue about differences between eras, and how boxers were protected or not, hence how easy it was to protect an "0". That being said, there is talent in the current HW division. There will always be physical and technical flaws among elite HW fighters, but the current talent pool is pretty decent.

Which is good news for boxing fans and boxing in general.

there are a lot of high class fighters coming up from the amateur circuit too that will be challenging that top ten in a couple years. tony yoka, filip hrgovic, ivan dychko, etc.

there are a lot of high class fighters coming up from the amateur circuit too that will be challenging that top ten in a couple years. tony yoka, filip hrgovic, ivan dychko, etc.

I think Usyk might be in that list shortly as well.

The division's better than it's been in awhile. It's been a fun time for hw boxing, recently, that's for sure.

Yeah those three have potential. I heard Wilder praised Dychko's work in sparring as he was preparing for Fury. Hrgovic looked impressive to me against Mansour. Yoka can make things interesting this year in France when his ban is over.

Plus guys like Joyce, Ajagba, Dubois, Rivas, Pervizaj will all be involved in fun fights when they start to risk their O's.

im awaiting usyk to join the division. one of my favorites, im very excited

Yeah those three have potential. I heard Wilder praised Dychko's work in sparring as he was preparing for Fury. Hrgovic looked impressive to me against Mansour. Yoka can make things interesting this year in France when his ban is over.

Plus guys like Joyce, Ajagba, Dubois, Rivas, Pervizaj will all be involved in fun fights when they start to risk their O's.
i’m less impressed by joyce & dubois but i do hope they prove me wrong

i’m less impressed by joyce & dubois but i do hope they prove me wrong

Joyce will never be champ but at least he'll make for some exciting fights. If we are searching for a near future legitimate threat to the Joshua/Wilder/Fury triangle I think it'll be Usyk.

Btw boxingscene says Yoka has called out Johan Duhaupas for an all french summer fight. That one would be fun.

Joyce will never be champ but at least he'll make for some exciting fights. If we are searching for a near future legitimate threat to the Joshua/Wilder/Fury triangle I think it'll be Usyk.

Btw boxingscene says Yoka has called out Johan Duhaupas for an all french summer fight. That one would be fun.
i saw that one as well. might be a bit too soon for yoka but he looks very good so far as a pro. would hate to see him get helenius’d

Having seen a little more of Duboius, i think we can write him off making it to the very top

Having seen a little more of Duboius, i think we can write him off making it to the very top

Yeah he is no Mike Tyson for sure. But word was he gave Povetkin tough sparring pre-Joshua. I'll have to wait for the Cojanu fight before I write him completely off. Cojanu went the distance with Parker and Gorman and Dubois promoters want to see him get a stoppage here.

Yeah he is no Mike Tyson for sure. But word was he gave Povetkin tough sparring pre-Joshua. I'll have to wait for the Cojanu fight before I write him completely off. Cojanu went the distance with Parker and Gorman and Dubois promoters want to see him get a stoppage here.

I think it was his fight against Johnson which really showed some of his limitations, im not sure how well he will cope when someone cant be blasted out but can also fire back with good solid shots.

I think it was his fight against Johnson which really showed some of his limitations, im not sure how well he will cope when someone cant be blasted out but can also fire back with good solid shots.

Yeah but Johnson as much of a joke as he is lately he has developed a Mayweather like defensive shell and is very hard to put out. Only Joshua has managed to take him out as far as I know. Both Dubois and Hrgovic didn't even try for the KO. They were happy to just see if they can go for 8 rounds. Cojanu is also hard to put out and I thought he took a dive against Ortiz as he was intimidated. I expect another UD for Dubois. Interesting because this one is scheduled for the full 12.

dubois has big power but i’m not thrilled with his speed or his timing. very unathletic and lumbering. pushes with his punches a lot. leaves his face open in exchanges. i feel like that’s indicative of your time you spend in the gym.

early comparisons on his style were to george foreman but foreman is far more skilled defensively and his punches come much more explosively.

Then to think that Dubois, Gorman, and Joyce will add more talent to the heavyweights.

Back