the hardest submission for you to do

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i think id have to say the ns choke cause its so hard to really tell if you got it in

Triangles. I'm short and my limbs are short. It's a helluva process to get one but when i do it's so tight that you're fucked

The whole darce/anaconda family of chokes, and kimuras from all but some select positions. I've got arms that are as scrawny as they are short.

Excluding stupid low percentage stuff... straight ankle locks. Leg lock in general really

My flying baratoplata could probably use some work.

The hucklebuck.

Arm-in chokes in general, but my instructor gave me a point about circling out more for an arm triangle that really helped me. So I'm looking to work on it more in the coming weeks

i think id have to say the ns choke cause its so hard to really tell if you got it in

I was thinking NS choke before I even opened this thread.

One thing that helped me was advice that mataleaos gave. He described the choke as a "slow burn" choke that took a bit of time to take effect. I have to be very patient with this choke. If I think I have good position, I will maintain steady pressure for 15 seconds. If I don't get a tap I'll adjust until I think it's right and wait 15 more seconds. If I start feeling bad for my partner I might let go but otherwise I think the name of the game is to just stay patient.

The other good advice I saw was also from mataleaos, who said that Ryan Hall finishes it one handed. I think this is a real good way of making sure you're not relying on weird squeezing mechanics but instead focusing on dropping your chest as close to the floor as possible.

I mean even though I know these two things, NS choke is still really hard to get. When you get it though, it is an amazing feeling.

I'm with you though - NS choke is by far my lowest % sub.

I think this is a real good way of making sure you're not relying on weird squeezing mechanics but instead focusing on dropping your chest as close to the floor as possible.

Is that really such a bad thing, though?

That is to say, Jeff Monson and Renzo Gracie for example like to teach n/s with the arm in, and one of the key tricks shown there is to stack one wrist blade on top of the other, creating a larger 'cliff' to drop down through to the floor, wedging their neck into the choke more. You could probably do the same thing without their arm in too (though i tend to prefer arm-in chokes in general for extra control purposes).

Basically what my meaning is, telling people first learning n/s chokes to 'not use your arms' can be a good cue for helping them get a better sense of what good finishing position feels like, but i also think past a certain point it can turn into a self-limiting stigmatization too.

Last edited:
Is that really such a bad thing, though?

That is to say, Jeff Monson and Renzo Gracie for example like to teach n/s with the arm in, and one of the key tricks shown there is to stack one wrist blade on top of the other, creating a larger 'cliff' to drop down through to the floor, wedging their neck into the choke more. You could probably do the same thing without their arm in too (though i tend to prefer arm-in chokes in general for extra control purposes).

Basically what my meaning is, telling people first learning n/s chokes to 'not use your arms' can be a good cue for helping them get a better sense of what good finishing position feels like, but i also think past a certain point it can turn into a self-limiting stigmatization too.
It's a learning tool so that you learn how to choke rather than just get taps by hurting people.

It's a learning tool so that you learn how to choke rather than just get taps by hurting people.

Yeah that's pretty much my point; it's a 'learning tool' like the four step armbar; but which if taken too literally can ironically end up hamstringing the further development of your game instead.

Last edited:
Yeah that's pretty much my point; it's a 'learning tool' like the four step armbar; which if taken too literally can ironically end up hamstringing the further development of your game.
I can't pull of ns chokes at all. But with arm triangles which I used the one arm thing for adding the second arm is not difficult at all.

Triangles. I'm short and my limbs are short. It's a helluva process to get one but when i do it's so tight that you're fucked
i use the method that carl silver fox and neil melason use luckly you dont have to have long legs its more about squeezing pulling everything together tight dont even need the arm across

The whole darce/anaconda family of chokes, and kimuras from all but some select positions. I've got arms that are as scrawny as they are short.

yeah arm triangles can be hell to submit good guys at times a black belt in competition isnt tapping if its cranking i would like to really learn the jap necktie never had anyone whos good with it really show me details besides things i found online

Leave their shoulder out when triangling. (Look on youtube for short guy triangle, you will get the idea)

Leave their shoulder out when triangling. (Look on youtube for short guy triangle, you will get the idea)
man doin it the way danaher made popular last few years is much easier said than done i rarely see guys at good levels able to get it perfect like that

North-South Choke- I can't even get it on a completely unresisting Uke that's trying to help me get it, lol.

Back