The Happy Meal Project

Seems to be a lot of debate as to whether a conventional/higher quality buger will act similarly.

Someone should totally try this :p

Most preservatives are known to cause cancer and other diseases......

Oh, really? You mean preservatives like ascorbic acid (vitamin C)? :icon_conf I think you're just repeating something you've heard without really having substance.

There are lots of safe preservatives. There are others that are dangerous, but only in 1000x the dose we could ever get from our diets.

And yes, sure, there are also some that are harmful. But it's wrong to indict all substances that "have the capacity to preserve," because a lot of them completely harmless.

Ever heard of humidity? Yea that is water in the atmosphere. Leave a cooked bun or just a plain bun on the counter for a month. It will have mold on it. Cook a steak or burger in ALOT of salt and leave it anywhere for a month or 2. They will be covered in mold.

The "air water" thing was meant sarcastically...believe it or not, I have heard of humidity. :D

Until this "humidity" theory is proven by someone as esteemed in the field of science as "artist Sally Davies", I ain't buying it.

I agree with XT's original idea of having a control burger.

Although, cooking doesn't kill all bacterias. And on top of that, some how it was transported and put on a plate, which leaves plenty of opportunity for germs and bacteria.

All in all, its still fucking gross.

Meh...would be far more interesting with a control group of regular burgers. I wonder what would be left of them?

When I first read this article on the 12th, I found a different experiment through google doing exactly this. Someone used a McDonald's cheeseburger + fries and compared it with a cheeseburger + fries with a local restaurant.

The cheese on the McDonald's cheeseburger eventually got a few spots of mold, nothing happened to the meat or the bun. The fries looked the same forever.

The cheeseburger + fries from the local restaurant molded up to a hideous disgusting mess within a couple of days.

I think that McDonalds uses sodium benzoate and sodium propionate in their food, which would explain the lack of mold.

There's a premade Yamazaki sandwich sitting in a bike's basket at my apt. It's been there since July. The bread is still white. While real bread here gets moldy in a few days in an ACed house!!

Until this "humidity" theory is proven by someone as esteemed in the field of science as "artist Sally Davies", I ain't buying it.

I support this statement. Same goes with this so called "water in the air" theory. Man, that's like saying there's cold in the fire.

I also wonder if they ever actually touched the food after it was fried. All of the transient bacteria on the food would be killed, and if no one touched it directly it would reduce the chance of mold growing - especially on the fries and bun. They would simply dry out.

Same with the meat, it would just dry out, as it appears to have done there. I worked in restaurants for years and it wasn't uncommon to find something that had fallen behind the stove or grill. Cooked meat simply shrivels up a bit and doesn't look that much different after a few days versus a few weeks.

And with a thin burger cooked well-done there would be very little moisture left in it anyway, add to it some salt, and it's already mostly preserved the same as jerky when it is served.

I'm not defending the nutritional value of a Happy Meal, I'm disputing the results of this art project as being meaningful in anyway regarding the healthiness of the Happy Meal.

This. If I fried a super thin patty, dried it out, placed it on a white bread, with no sauces or condiments, and baked some fresh potatoes and also dried them out, and never touched them or put sauces on them. It would look exactly like this.

I am not saying McDonalds is good for you, but its just stupid to believe this nonsense.

I'm throwing out the fact that most art is a sham made by crazy people so other crazies can go ahhhhh and oooooooh and this proves my point ( i'm an art hater :cool: )

Weird, someone needs to do a control group.

All I can say is I have forgotten about packs of bread or breadrolls before and not touched them and found them weeks later, needless to say they are pretty mouldy.

However fruit like apples seemes to keep pretty well for a few weeks inside a fridge.

Back