The Guitar Thread.

Love my strat. I have a Fender Deluxe too. Thats my setup. A couple of pedals- tubescreamer clone and a dynacomp.

I put some new pickups in my strat a while back. I loved the standard strat pickups but could never get along with the bridge pickup.

Did replace you the bridge pickup with a more vintage, low-output one? Or did you beef it up?

I finally replaced the pickups in my FSR Butterscotch Tele (the stock ones were too dark) with "No-Caster 51's I got off ebay. The guys at the guitar store who installed them were really impressed with how great it sounded when they tested it, stunningly resonant and lush and beautiful. The stock pickups sounded awful and nearly dead with Michael Serra's personality.

H72859000001001-00-1000x1000.jpg

(This type one)

Last edited:
Did replace you the bridge pickup with a more vintage, low-output one? Or did you beef it up?

I finally replaced the pickups in my FSR Butterscotch Tele (the stock ones were too dark) with "No-Caster 51's I got off ebay. The guys at the guitar store who installed them were really impressed with how great it sounded when they tested it, stunningly resonant and lush and beautiful. The stock pickups sounded awful and nearly dead with Michael Serra's personality.

H72859000001001-00-1000x1000.jpg

(This type one)

I love teles. I basically flipped a coin over a strat and a tele bit chose the strat.
I put lace sensor Chrome Domes in it. They're slightly higher output but not real hot. They're a bit warmer. I used a "jimi hendrix" pickguard for it so it has the bridge pickup reversed. I find the "in between" settings to be a lot sweeter with the chrome domes. The bridge pickup is way better, especially overdriven. I think I may have preferred the original neck pickup though.

This guy does a good review of them. My guitar sounds exactly like this video.

I love teles. I basically flipped a coin over a strat and a tele bit chose the strat.
I put lace sensor Chrome Domes in it. They're slightly higher output but not real hot. They're a bit warmer. I used a "jimi hendrix" pickguard for it so it has the bridge pickup reversed. I find the "in between" settings to be a lot sweeter with the chrome domes. The bridge pickup is way better, especially overdriven. I think I may have preferred the original neck pickup though.

This guy does a good review of them. My guitar sounds exactly like this video.

Great sound! Didn't get rid of any responsiveness or character which is what I fear most. Nice pop and good strat quack.

I had to choose too, but decided not to choose, just had to pick which one to get first. Couldn't turn down the butterscotch Tele when it made itself available, it just looked too nice and I got it for a miraculous price brand new.

---

Also picked a squire mini-strat kid's 3/4 size guitar ($100 new) when I heard how great they sound. They're actually made pretty well in Indonesia, nothing like China. It should have been a crap toy guitar but it sounds so good it makes you laugh. The strings are really easy to do bends on and the tuners stay in tune surprisingly well. You might want to try one at the store and get one for a present for one of your nephews or something (or *yourself, like I did.)

Very fun little guitars

Squire%20Mini%20Strats.jpg

When I was at the store, the guys there assumed it was for my kid. Then I had to pretend to have a kid. Was originally going for the pink one but pussed out. Still ended up with the black one, though, without blowing my cover (or did I?). Worth it!

*(The second half of the prior post is directed to the subforum in general. I'm not suggesting to Seano that he needs a much cheaper version of the strat he already has)

I am starting to get tired of playing hmmn maybe I should go back to playing basic classical Music or try to find Jazz lessons.

Or get another Job lol!

I am starting to get tired of playing hmmn maybe I should go back to playing basic classical Music or try to find Jazz lessons.

Or get another Job lol!
I've been getting bored lately too.

For awhile, improv was making me pick up the instrument, but now I don't have much interest in that either.

Got this guitar last month plays well after some serious set up!

uPqumP.jpg

hf00Jl.jpg

XgPs1f.jpg

Amazing how close the ibanez and yamahas were/are.

Likely same designers and assembly lines but ibanez wizard necks are a bit different than the yamahas.

3484241025_58b487d9fb_b.jpg

I will always have a spot in my heart for ibanez guitars.

Don't sleep on those yamaha pacificas either. This girl has one that is really a diverse guitar with a P90 style at the neck which I find unusual but seems to be becoming a popular option with other guitars.

Amazing how close the ibanez and yamahas were/are.

Likely same designers and assembly lines but ibanez wizard necks are a bit different than the yamahas.

3484241025_58b487d9fb_b.jpg

I will always have a spot in my heart for ibanez guitars.

Don't sleep on those yamaha pacificas either. This girl has one that is really a diverse guitar with a P90 style at the neck which I find unusual but seems to be becoming a popular option with other guitars.

Hey that photo on top that is an RGX right it really looks likw it is a cousin of the RG550/RG655!

My cousin has a black Yahama RGX610d with the last four frets scalloped and plays really well.

It is comparable to my Ibanez RG1570e I told him hey its like a long lost sibling to my Ibanez except the scalp frets.

I would play an RGX anytime as long as it has the AANJ.

When I started buying mid to highend guitars in 2010 my first choice was the Yahamaha RGX because from what I know the nut height is adjustable and so easier to setup but sadly Yahamha stop production already and I dont want to buy a used one.

I hope Yamaha reisue the RGX line.

Just picked up this little bastard a couple weeks ago:

H77202000000000-00-500x500.jpg

..480$ w/shipping on Reverb brand new in the box. Wanted a tube head but didn't want to break the bank or get something too powerful. I'm running it thru a 4x12 Marshall 1960 Vintage cab. Sounds nice so far, but haven't had a lot of time to sit and screw around with it yet. Only ran my Gibson SG thru it, haven't had a chance to plug my ESP or my LP standards into it yet. I'm most curious to see what sounds I can get out of it with my Eclipse Standard because it has the active pups in it.

But right now I have 2 Heads -Marshall VS100, and the Orange Dark Terror (so a solid state and a tube, tho the VS is a hybrid) and two little practice amps. I also have 2 4x12 cabs -the Marshall 1960 vintage and a Crate Blue Voodoo. Got rid of all my other shit. Now it's just a couple guitars I'd like to own and pretty much I'm done.

@Seano -I'm looking at Tele's, I think that's the route I'm going to go when I decide to grab a Fender. Just can't get down on the Strats for whatever reason, but I am digging some Tele's

Also, not sure if anyone has been paying attention but Gibson is hurting real bad right now. I still have a couple of buddies in the business who are in the know and whispers going around are that this may be it for them unless another company steps in. So, buy them while you still can (I prefer the 90's models myself) and hold on to the ones you already got.

Or get another Job lol!

I go thru phases myself. Ever since I stepped away from the band life I have been really inconsistent. It's different when you're obligated to play/practice because you're working with other people toward something, or you're inspired by people you're working with to write new stuff. The dynamic changes so much when you walk away from that. At least, that's how it worked for me.

I swap gear around nowadays to stay a little more motivated lol. Who can't get excited to play with a new toy? So that's one of my suggestions to you -buy something new; an amp, guitar, pedal.. whatever.

That pictured RGX is 1992 indonesian made but the higher end Ibanez and Yamahas were made in japan most likely at the fujigen factory.

They are more closed on naming where they are produced now.

I also am not seeing many "floyd rose" models or any locking nuts from yamaha so it's possible they've diverged a bit from the ibanez product of late.

I currently have the tremolo on this RGX321 "half blocked" or "van halen style" so it only goes down but that's only temporary so I can have bridge stability for rhythm work.

It will eventually be floated again with a super monster weight brass sustain block and the arm length "tuned" so the trem. will flutter at a frequency that is pleasing to the ears. (sometimes one octave below the lowest string....sometimes one or two octaves lower than a harmonic I want to ring out when feeding back) Nothing worse than a flutter that is the wrong frequency.

As far as amps, I'm looking at new empty 4x12 cabs and super low wattage speakers and starting with a "micro dark" amp until I can build my own custom amp.

My single pickup kramer will likely get a "frankenstein" pickup since I'm going to increase my guitar count to include guitars specifically picked for big downtunes or alternate tunings so I don't have to retune which kills momentum when creativity hits.

I'm really intrigued how weezer got that heavy tone from that Mesa MK1 with the volume way low on their early albums.

Also, not sure if anyone has been paying attention but Gibson is hurting real bad right now. I still have a couple of buddies in the business who are in the know and whispers going around are that this may be it for them unless another company steps in. So, buy them while you still can (I prefer the 90's models myself) and hold on to the ones you already got.
Its cheaper to buy a used Gibson of better quality than a new one today. For one, how many Les Pauls does the world need? 2, they have started using some pretty shitty wood in some guitars. Grenadillo in a Les Paul? Thats they shit they make budget guitars from Indonesia with. Worst part, their guitars just keep getting more and more expensive though the quality of their materials is worse.

Its cheaper to buy a used Gibson of better quality than a new one today. For one, how many Les Pauls does the world need? 2, they have started using some pretty shitty wood in some guitars. Grenadillo in a Les Paul? Thats they shit they make budget guitars from Indonesia with. Worst part, their guitars just keep getting more and more expensive though the quality of their materials is worse.

All my LP's are from the 90's (the 90's are regarded as a good era for them and I don't disagree as I've had amazing luck with them in that decade) and I don't disagree with you in their recent quality -tho that's more of me reading and talking to people than from experience. I'm a lefty, so I don't get many chances to walk into a place and jam on a plethora of guitars like righty's do.

And as for the Fender.. yeah, used is my bag there. Reverb is my go to these days for equipment so I'll most likely buy from that site. Sucks that I can't sit down with it 1st and play it -but as I mentioned that's a rare opportunity anyways, even with walking into a place given my disposition.

All my LP's are from the 90's (the 90's are regarded as a good era for them and I don't disagree as I've had amazing luck with them in that decade) and I don't disagree with you in their recent quality -tho that's more of me reading and talking to people than from experience. I'm a lefty, so I don't get many chances to walk into a place and jam on a plethora of guitars like righty's do.

And as for the Fender.. yeah, used is my bag there. Reverb is my go to these days for equipment so I'll most likely buy from that site. Sucks that I can't sit down with it 1st and play it -but as I mentioned that's a rare opportunity anyways, even with walking into a place given my disposition.
I've made all of my recent purchases on reverb. Bought a killer Reverend Mercalli 5 on there last year.

I've made all of my recent purchases on reverb. Bought a killer Reverend Mercalli 5 on there last year.

So far I've had good luck with them. Very cool site.

That pictured RGX is 1992 indonesian made but the higher end Ibanez and Yamahas were made in japan most likely at the fujigen factory.

They are more closed on naming where they are produced now.

I also am not seeing many "floyd rose" models or any locking nuts from yamaha so it's possible they've diverged a bit from the ibanez product of late.

I currently have the tremolo on this RGX321 "half blocked" or "van halen style" so it only goes down but that's only temporary so I can have bridge stability for rhythm work.

It will eventually be floated again with a super monster weight brass sustain block and the arm length "tuned" so the trem. will flutter at a frequency that is pleasing to the ears. (sometimes one octave below the lowest string....sometimes one or two octaves lower than a harmonic I want to ring out when feeding back) Nothing worse than a flutter that is the wrong frequency.

As far as amps, I'm looking at new empty 4x12 cabs and super low wattage speakers and starting with a "micro dark" amp until I can build my own custom amp.

My single pickup kramer will likely get a "frankenstein" pickup since I'm going to increase my guitar count to include guitars specifically picked for big downtunes or alternate tunings so I don't have to retune which kills momentum when creativity hits.

I'm really intrigued how weezer got that heavy tone from that Mesa MK1 with the volume way low on their early albums.

If I am not mistaken the RGX line is equipped with the TRS Tremolo built by Takekuchi Japan. I think they put that in even on the Indones or Taiwan models.

A lot of people shit on the TRS-Takekuchis Bridge specially hardline Ibanez fanatics but I think it is a good bridge and stays stable as it is.

I think people slagging tremolo bridges are trying to work with one with worn parts like the posts or the tremolo itself.

Even a stock strat six screw tremolo can stay in tune if the screws and plate don't have wear .......as long as you also optimize things at the other end.

People forget that Van Halen 1 was recorded on a stock strat bridge without a locking nut.

Even though i've played(self taught) for over 10 years i still can't get my head around theory and scales n shit. Anyone recommend any sites or video channels that would help?

The guitrs they've been releasing are whacky too.

gibson-reverse-flying-v.jpg

I think people slagging tremolo bridges are trying to work with one with worn parts like the posts or the tremolo itself.

Even a stock strat six screw tremolo can stay in tune if the screws and plate don't have wear .......as long as you also optimize things at the other end.

People forget that Van Halen 1 was recorded on a stock strat bridge without a locking nut.

Yup I even see some posts on other forums complaining so much about bridges and not realizing their guitars are not properly set up.

But there are really some purists out there, I am an Ibanez fan boy my self but some are so extreme it gets irritating they won't touch a guitar if it does not have a lo-pro or original edge on it!

On the other hand there are some fix bridge fannatics and they shit on Floyd rose users and even saying Floyd rose is a very stupid tremolo system!

Back