The gruesome world of a Bible literalist

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithwick

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
PhoenixDecapitatedBody-039ca.jpg

www.washingtonpost.com/national/man...f41c68-394f-11e5-8993-0b783c1d6d37_story.html

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/0...arm-plucks-out-eye-bible-inspired-blood-bath/

His self-mutilation was clearly inspired by a Biblical passage, found in the book of Matthew (chapter 5:29-30, KJV).

I think he's just crazy, more so than a literalist. I don't know any literalist who do this type of stuff.

I think he's just crazy, more so than a literalist. I don't know any literalist who do this type of stuff.

Because the are half ass Christians. I respect this guy for doing it right.

They're not serious literalists. This guy is.

you respect the guy who decapitated someone's head? might want to rethink who you respect.

hell, being an atheist, I'll respect the ones more if they don't take it all literally.

In other words you are looking for a way to generalise and shit on Christians..you know, like talk about the worst possible thing a so called "Christian" could do, then give your "respect" to him because "that's what true Christianity is all about"

In other words you are a sad , hateful man :icon_neut

Did his eye cause him to sin?

Also, he might want to know what a parable is?

Matthew 13:10
The disciples came to him and asked, "Why do you speak to the people in parables?"

- pretty sure it mean cut out the part of your life that causes you to sin or maybe the desire that causes you to sin. there is no reason to think a body part outside of the brain would cause you to sin.

Did this guy think Jesus was bread also?

The disciples came to him and asked, "Why do you speak to the people in parables?"

- pretty sure it mean cut out the part of your life that causes you to sin or maybe the desire to cause you to sin. there is no reason to think a body part outside of the brain would cause you to sin.

you could more easily make the case that literalists are not true Christians because the Bible is written in parables.

Literalists, by definition, would shun all parables and would therefore have the least understanding of the messages. They would be the simpletons of the bunch.

In other words you are looking for a way to generalise and shit on Christians..you know, like talk about the worst possible thing a so called "Christian" could do, then give your "respect" to him because "that's what true Christianity is all about"

Damn, Smithwick just got owned.

Exactly.

Sounds like what some warroomers do with Muslims.

Right on man.

The Jesus part about the eye I get, as literalism, but I'm having a hard time understanding how this is literally interpreted as an imperative command that "thou shalt decapitate thy wife."

"And the men of Israel gathered themselves together out of Naphtali, and out of Asher, and out of all Manasseh, and pursued after the Midianites. And Gideon sent messengers throughout all mount Ephraim, saying, Come down against the Midianites, and take before them the waters unto Bethbarah and Jordan. Then all the men of Ephraim gathered themselves together, and took the waters unto Bethbarah and Jordan. And they took two princes of the Midianites, Oreb and Zeeb; and they slew Oreb upon the rock Oreb, and Zeeb they slew at the winepress of Zeeb, and pursued Midian, and brought the heads of Oreb and Zeeb to Gideon on the other side Jordan.”

Exactly.

Sounds like what some warroomers do with Muslims.

Right on man.

Yeah, the people who do that are foolish. Literally everyone with a brain knows that Islamists are no threat to the civilised world whatsoever..good call!

Yeah, the people who do that are foolish. Literally everyone with a brain knows that Islamists are no threat to the civilised world whatsoever..good call!

Glad we agree on something finally. Generalization is bad.

No. I am highlighting how dangerous and stupid it is to follow the bible literally. There are plenty of Bible literalists who talk the talk but do not walk the walk. This guy does both which is commendable with respect to his religion but absolutely despicable with respect to being a human being.

Omitting certain passages or having wild interpretations of them are one in the same. Omit the whole book and that's a start.

- pretty sure it mean cut out the part of your life that causes you to sin or maybe the desire that causes you to sin. there is no reason to think a body part outside of the brain would cause you to sin.

Did this guy think Jesus was bread also?

That's so convenient. Don't like what the bible tells you to do? Parable. Change the interpretation. Someone else does something you don't like? Bible's clearly against it. It says so literally right here.

I guess I'm just a Christian who thinks the divinity of Christ and the existence of god in general is a parable rather than something to be taken literally, since by this 'parable' rubric apparently the bible can mean anything you want it to. Which I suppose has always been the case.

That's so convenient. Don't like what the bible tells you to do? Parable. Change the interpretation. Someone else does something you don't like? Bible's clearly against it. It says so literally right here.

I guess I'm just a Christian who thinks the divinity of Christ and the existence of god in general is a parable rather than something to be taken literally, since by this 'parable' rubric apparently the bible can mean anything you want it to. Which I suppose has always been the case.

And when that fails they start with the "old covenant vs. new covenant" nonsense.

There are many parables in the bible.

Literally.

That's so convenient. Don't like what the bible tells you to do? Parable.

Anti-Christians do the same thing. Find a passage that has several possible interpretations and accept the one that makes Christianity look the worst, and ignore what biblical scholar have to say about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back