The ground is overrated

Rockapotomuss

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
was watching a jiu jitsu class where all they were drilling was wrestling and takedowns. “You can’t play your game unless you can get your opponent to the ground” they said. That got me thinking. What hold can you not do standing up? You can standing arm bar, standing triangle, standing guillotine. Who needs the ground? What does the ground do for you other than prevent strikes?

Is this a serious question?
The techniques you mention CAN be applied from standing but there is this thing called gravity. Taking the person to the ground helps in limiting their movements and allows for better control. If pressure is used correctly, it can help drain your opponents energy.

Last edited:
I'm sure this a troll post but how many times do you actually see standing subs? Almost never. And many are initiated on the ground. The ground offers a plane of resistance to work against that gives you a massive advantage in the ability to shut down another human being's movement to beat them up with strikes or submit them.

OP is right we should all just stop using the ground for everything all together. I'm going to levitate from now on.

But if you are standing, you are still on the ground, aren't you? Your feet are on the ground

Air born attacks with zero contact with the ground is where it's at

seems to be trolling/having fun on a friday, but not a bad question. i haven't grappled competitively, but i've seen some tutorials out there on standing arm bars. i'm kinda skeptical of one's ability to really snatch one of these on a wild, resisting person, but what do you think?

AKFA+SDTV+55.png

seems to be trolling/having fun on a friday, but not a bad question. i haven't grappled competitively, but i've seen some tutorials out there on standing arm bars. i'm kinda skeptical of one's ability to really snatch one of these on a wild, resisting person, but what do you think?

AKFA+SDTV+55.png

i haven't grappled competitively, but i've seen some tutorials out there on standing arm bars. i'm kinda skeptical of one's ability to really snatch one of these on a wild, resisting person, but what do you think?

That waki gatame style standing arm bar can work on a good resisting opponent. I wouldn't consider it high percentage, but I've seen it work.

The problem is that the most effective version of that is done as a takedown. It turns into a joint lock throw with the thrower dropping his bodyweight into the elbow.

That is not very conducive to a safe training environment. So it tends to fall into the class of techniques that have some inherent effectiveness but can't be safely trained live. This makes them pretty low percentage in the end.

AKFA+SDTV+55.png

most of those types work when you are a good bit stronger and bigger than the person

especially if the person is explosive wirey

pretty cool to see Aoki hit it, though it sucks for the other guy since there's no time to time. good point from @Balto that it can just turn into a takedown as well.
thanks,

though it sucks for the other guy since there's no time to time.

It is for that reason the move sort of has a reputation for being a great way to "accidentally" break someone's arm. If you do it in sparring, I think you need to be prepared for a strong negative reaction.

It's like one step beyond the flying scissor takedown in how it's viewed in a training environment.

It worked out well for Carlos Newton.

The best part here is that he would have been ok if he had been allowed to hold the fence. One more proof that BJJ works on the streetz*.

* Lots of fences in the hood

The best part here is that he would have been ok if he had been allowed to hold the fence. One more proof that BJJ works on the streetz*.

* Lots of fences in the hood

He really should have just kept holding the fence. What's the worst that happens, the ref breaks them? Did refs even take points at time in the UFC?

This actually leads to an important question: who would be the worldswnest grappler if the matches were in outer space? Say in a 30' sphere?
How about MMA?

This actually leads to an important question: who would be the worldswnest grappler if the matches were in outer space? Say in a 30' sphere?
How about MMA?

Turns out the Miyaos were getting ready for Space Force all along.

Traditional Ju Jujitsu has standing submissions and these were used in real life or death warfare for generations. The only problem is that they’re not taught in MMA schools. A freakishly strong guy like Lesnar or Ngannou could probably submit you standing with the right technique if he wanted.

Personally I’ve seen people get strangled on their feet in bars and also seen other succumb to wrist locks in street fights. It’s not bullshit.

That guy that likes his own voice and uses too many words but knows his stuff explains it when he is interviewed on Joe Rogan

Back