The Greta Thunberg phenomenon and why are the media doing this?

don't forget retarded.

Hmmm, strong post, AV and belt caption correlation. Are you sure you are here for constructive conversations or just triggering people? The latter would be fine - most of my post on Sherdog are like that.

Person of the year was just a low hanging piece of fruit to make the point. If you’re going to deny the collective fawning and gushing that has happened across broad swaths of the left (that is to say, what led to her being named POY) then you’re simply not an honest person and I have no use for the conversation

1180029712.jpg.0.jpg

Yeah collective fawning....

You want to also has made that Person of the Year list? Adolf Hitler. Newt Gingrich. George W. Bush. Bill Clinton. Barrack Obama. Mark Zuckerberg.... DONALD FUCKING TRUMP.

You people are so fucking insane and lacking of self-awareness. Greta was appreciated for her bold honesty in regards to a serious global issue. What the fuck did Donald Trump ever do to deserve a Times Person of the Year award? Get over yourself dude.

Hmmm, strong post, AV and belt caption correlation. Are you sure you are here for constructive conversations or just triggering people? The latter would be fine - most of my post on Sherdog are like that.

i guess trolling, but most teenagers i consider somewhat retarded in there ability to think critically due to lack of life experience. is she not basically a puppet for environmentalists, including her parents?

Well you didn't even bother to read my OP, now, did you? You decided to go full-retard instead. Good for you.

I did, and you dunt get to pretend that you dont follow our cate when you make a thread about her.

Get. therapy.

Yeah collective fawning....

You want to also has made that Person of the Year list? Adolf Hitler. Newt Gingrich. George W. Bush. Bill Clinton. Barrack Obama. Mark Zuckerberg.... DONALD FUCKING TRUMP.

You people are so fucking insane and lacking of self-awareness. Greta was appreciated for her bold honesty in regards to a serious global issue. What the fuck did Donald Trump ever do to deserve a Times Person of the Year award? Get over yourself dude.

You’ve just tripled down on the dishonesty and thrown in a bunch of “but Trump” whataboutisms when I’ve said nothing about him. Your argument is a complete intellectual dud - which is why you’re now descending into a tantrum.

My point on the weird kid stands.

You’ve just tripled down on the dishonesty and thrown in a bunch of “but Trump” whataboutisms when I’ve said nothing about him. Your argument is a complete intellectual dud - which is why you’re now descending into a tantrum.

My point on the weird kid stands.

What dishonesty? I've clearly explained multiple times that people like Greta because she's a young activist standing up for scientific truths in the face of old idiots in power. There's nothing off the deep end about that. It's not like they made her the Prime Minister of Sweden or the head of NATO.

I bring up Trump because if that's your standard of "going off the deep end", then the right jumped so deep they cracked their heads on the bottom years ago. The comparison is laughable and you have nothing intellectual to discuss about the situation.

i guess trolling, but most teenagers i consider somewhat retarded in there ability to think critically due to lack of life experience. is she not basically a puppet for environmentalists, including her parents?

Well I don't about her parent's motivations, but about her being a "puppet", this is really the whole topic of the thread.

Environmentalists could come up with a much more efficient puppet. I mean what kind of adult is to take this little kid seriously?

What I find is happening is that she being shoved down our throats by the media, because they know that she is a very polarising figure, so I do not know that in the end she will actually have a positive impact, because all the climate denying asshats will say "yeah all you could come up with was this agitated teenager so you have discredited yourself", which is sort of true...

Fighting climate change is an uphill battle with some powerful reactionary forces at play, here. Addressing the issue and doing what is needed to fix it is urgent and necessary, yet with this new mascot this whole thing is being turned into such a farce.

I have not followed the Greta Thunberg fad because I am generally not interested in fads but I just came in to say fuck the media for its contribution to further polarise the climate change debate.

I still don't understand how a grown person can have any interest in some whining teen's view on world issues, but the fact that they have instrumentalised that little girl into some hyperventilating SJW is absolutely disgusting.

In this day and age it feels like the media is more about simplifying everything into a "left vs right" narrative and not about informing citizens.

I dunno maybe it's because we live in an era where people have the attention span of a moth and are more interested in what kind of underpants celebrities like to wear on instagram than actually reading about the science? In the era of the spectacle you have to spectacularize and dumb things down to make people give a shit.

Last edited:
I did, and you dunt get to pretend that you dont follow our cate when you make a thread about her.

Get. therapy.

You are not even making sense and are a fucking idiot - welcome on my ignore list your posts are worthless.

I think people are just reading way too much into this girl. She's just a young girl who just wants to put attention to what's happening to the planet. I don't see anything much more than that.

I don't even know why people bring up the left or right when it comes to this.

I dunno maybe it's because we live in an era where people have the attention span of a moth and are more interested about what kind of underpants celebrities like to wear on instagram than actually reading about the science? In the era of the spectacle you have to spectacularize and dumb down things to make people give a shit.

I think you are absolutely right, but furthermore what I really deplore is that this media creation will end up being detrimental to the cause.
Just look at this thread, you will notice that I was pretty neutral in my OP (on the topic of left vs right), yet it derailed into a "you stupid leftists" vs. "you stupid rightwingers" in no time.
A good conspiracy theory is that the media are constantely creating this polarisation, so that people leave the ruling class alone to NOT CHANGE SHIT on the things that actually matter (climate change on the top of the list), because they are too busy hating the shit out of eachother and slinging shit all day like fucking angry apes.

Fighting climate change is an uphill battle with some powerful reactionary forces at play, here. Addressing the issue and doing what is needed to fix it is urgent and necessary, yet with this new mascot this whole thing is being turned into such a farce.

I have not followed the Greta Thunberg fad because I am generally not interested in fads but I just came in to say fuck the media for its contribution to further polarise the climate change debate.

I still don't understand how a grown person can have any interest in some whining teen's view on world issues, but the fact that they have instrumentalised that little girl into some hyperventilating SJW is absolutely disgusting.

In this day and age it feels like the media is more about simplifying everything into a "left vs right" narrative and not about informing citizens.

If it were honestly about fucking climate change and not about some political motivation to tax the entire fucking globe...

THIS GUY would have been the god damn mascot.
https://time.com/5389782/boyan-slat-plastic-ocean-cleanup/
Greta is a shield of criticism to bad ideas. A puppet drummed up by the left as an anti-critique figurehead.

It's so painfully obvious and actually does their argument against global warming a disservice.

Your only point was that because she was Times Person of the Year that the left has gone off the deep end. She's literally a kid standing up to the world's idiots about a serious global issue. How does that make having a marginal level of support for her actions "going off the deep end"? We didn't put her in charge of the free world and our nuclear arsenal. Some stupid paper gave her a fake award. Wow. Great point you made.

For the record, I'm not a leftist. I have several things I support on the right side of things that the majority of the left would disagree with. I'm just not so fucking brainwashed that I'll support an idiot just because he's on my team. Republicans jumped the shark when they allowed Trump to hijack the party. They lost all credibility at that point when they flipped from "he's horrible and can't be allowed to run" to "he's perfect" just because they'd rather vote for someone they hate on their own team than to go to the other side.

You're literally trashing a kid with Aspergers. Nice job

And you are supporting the mental abuse of a kid with Asperger's being used as a pawn by her handlers.

Already there are multiple left winger predictably typing their automated replies that the right is obsessed/shook-up/rustled by this weird kid. I don’t begrudge their right to fire back but those statements are a fairly plain and deliberate misrepresentation of motives. Right wingers aren’t constantly bringing her up because she upsets them. They’re doing it because the left has gone off the deep end (she was named Time’s person of the year FFS) and highlighting that madness scores rhetorical points. It’s pretty obvious and we all know it (whether some want to admit it or not)

Gunny your good people but you're way off Time selected her because they knew it would trigger the right and President Donald "That baby was driving me crazy" Trump. The world does not revolve around the US and overseas anytime they see President Trump triggered it gets them excited and boosts Time's overseas readership. Hardly about science or Greta its about business and business has been good for Time right now. New threads are being created by the Trump cultists because Geneva talks are about to start and Greta as well as 12 other environmental movement people converge on Switzerland for huge business meetings on climate. Blackrock and Blackstone both long holdouts in alternative energy investments such as wind, solar and electrification are now realizing they missed the early push and cost them possibly as much as 10's of billions of dollars as many of these early startups are starting to produce real potential such as far out ideas as fusion energy still far off, vastly improved wind energy creation and solar power. This is not about greening the planet it about greening the pockets of the wealthy investors.

Some who have already saw this coming years ago have made out handsomely with huge returns on their investment people like right winger Lawrence Ellison saw his 1 billion in Tesla balloon to 2.7 billion in just a year or so. He also has investments in wind farms and solar energy projects that are now seeing completion and adding to his already huge 68 billion in net worth. Then there is the Rockefeller's who has been over a decade moving their holdings towards alternative energy from petroleum not because they are suddenly becoming environmentalists they see the change coming and they are moving their money where the growth is happening. This is hardly supporting Greta or the green movement is because they where smart enough to see the transition happening. Time loves this because they knew it would make the news.

https://www.ccn.com/why-blackrock-may-be-about-to-pump-tesla-tsla-stock-to-the-moon/

Trigger trigger trigger LOL

Last edited:
What dishonesty? I've clearly explained multiple times that people like Greta because she's a young activist standing up for scientific truths in the face of old idiots in power. There's nothing off the deep end about that. It's not like they made her the Prime Minister of Sweden or the head of NATO.

I bring up Trump because if that's your standard of "going off the deep end", then the right jumped so deep they cracked their heads on the bottom years ago. The comparison is laughable and you have nothing intellectual to discuss about the situation.

To the bolded - what she is, is an awkward purportedly autistic kid who is being put forth by her parents who apparently are the ones actually writing her statements, representing them as hers. When you actually hear her speak, the normal human reaction would be to cringe and recoil at the awkward, contrived spectacle. That left wingers are willing to suspend this discernment, deny obvious reality and tell each other in unison that this is just a wonderful young activist is what right wingers are exploiting. It’s been said before and worth repeating, this girl is a gift to the right. You should stop and seriously consider that

She is a hero on social media.
She is a pawn on the sherdog forum.

And you are supporting the mental abuse of a kid with Asperger's being used as a pawn by her handlers.

Are you saying that people with Asperger's shouldn't be allowed to have public opinions and do things they feel strongly about? She started activism of her own accord against her parent's wishes by the way. She's hardly being abused or handled.

Nice shaming of people with mental issues. Guess we need to shut them all up otherwise it's abuse.

To the bolded - what she is, is an awkward purportedly autistic kid who is being put forth by her parents who apparently are the ones actually writing her statements, representing them as hers. When you actually hear her speak, the normal human reaction would be to cringe and recoil at the awkward, contrived spectacle. That left wingers are willing to suspend this discernment, deny obvious reality and tell each other in unison that this is just a wonderful young activist is what right wingers are exploiting. It’s been said before and worth repeating, this girl is a gift to the right. You should stop and seriously consider that

For thinking people, you are correct. But it is not as simple as that. She is increasing awareness amongst the masses.

Back