The Greco High Dive

you have to be able to clasp your hand together for it to work. when yur sweaty, its usually kinda easy to pummel an underhook, or just get out of it. when u go for a move liek that, u have to try to get a good grip of your hands/wrist as soon as possible.

never experinced someone goin for that on me, but it look like you jsut have to have a strong stance to defend it. dont even have to sprawl.

but i can see how its a good energy saving, takedown, when done correctly.

you have to be able to clasp your hand together for it to work. when yur sweaty, its usually kinda easy to pummel an underhook, or just get out of it. when u go for a move liek that, u have to try to get a good grip of your hands/wrist as soon as possible.

Sometimes I position my hands so that my left hand scoops his upper thigh and captures his hip, while my right grabs his opposite lat muscle. I drive upwards while scooping my left hand up and pulling my right hand in a circular downwards motion to dump him.

Other times, I find that even if I don't get low enough to secure an S-grip below his arse, then I can level change higher and secure a bodylock.

I feel like if I tried to do this takedown in my BJJ class, someone would think I'm trying to do a double leg and failing miserably, and then they would try to show me how to do a proper double leg.

r u scared to try different things. If your good, they will ask you what you were trying to do, not try to teach you.

I feel like if I tried to do this takedown in my BJJ class, someone would think I'm trying to do a double leg and failing miserably, and then they would try to show me how to do a proper double leg.

they won't after you turn the corner, get your hips underneath you, load them up, arch and drop them straight back.

You can do a sasae tsurikomi ashi wehn you get those underhooks, Jon Jones a greco fighter, used it against Bonnar i think, but he did it with double overhooks.

I genuinely laughed out loud at that.

You can do a sasae tsurikomi ashi wehn you get those underhooks, Jon Jones a greco fighter, used it against Bonnar i think, but he did it with double overhooks.

Yes he did. It was a little more of a suplex type throw than a true Sasae, but it's very close, and either could be done from there.

jones3.gif

This throw was really big with aa purple belt I know. If you got double unders, boom, you'd be going through the air before you knew it. Sometimes he would even do a hiza-guruma thing and block your knee with his foot.

Other Jon Jones throws:

11kximw.gif

jonesthrow.gif

jonesbonnar1_medium.gif

wp82h_jpg_medium.gif

Last edited:
haha never heard it called a greco high Dive.

Well that's the proper name for it.

There are two main reasons you don't see it. Ions is that greco guys are scarce compared to free/folk style guys. The other is that it is a greco solution to not being allowed to grab the legs. I use it but I grab just under the butt. It fives a little more leverage.

Funny you mention it though because I was teaching it to a guy the other dat.

It looks nice. Appears like it requires a bit of muscling. From that position I would be more inclined to attempt a trip take down. Easier on my horrible spine.

Well that's the proper name for it.

There are two main reasons you don't see it. Ions is that greco guys are scarce compared to free/folk style guys. The other is that it is a greco solution to not being allowed to grab the legs. I use it but I grab just under the butt. It fives a little more leverage.

Funny you mention it though because I was teaching it to a guy the other dat.

I wrestled most of my life. Should have wrestled greco. I feel like it fits me well. I've been using that takedown for years and just called it a "bodylock takedown" haha

Yes he did. It was a little more of a suplex type throw than a true Sasae, but it's very close, and either could be done from there.

jonesthrow.gif

I was confused i actually meant this one, its not double overhooks.

Firstly. Most MMA fighters even in the UFC have horrible takedowns. Now and again you see sonething worthwhile but most fighters just try the high percentage stuff like leg attacks.

Secondly. Most people who train in No Gi Grappling competitions are mosre focused on the groundfighting/submission aspects. Again their takedowns are horrible.

Thirdly, About the clip you posted. That take down was NOT a highdive. The wrestler attempted a high dive takedown. He level changed and shot in, trying to lock up his opponant at the waist but he couldn't complete the lift. He eventually got the double underhooks though. From there he did a step-around and dumped him.

Thirdly, About the clip you posted. That take down was NOT a highdive. The wrestler attempted a high dive takedown. He level changed and shot in, trying to lock up his opponant at the waist but he couldn't complete the lift. He eventually got the double underhooks though. From there he did a step-around and dumped him.

Yup, that was a high dive set up where you can transition to a bodylock (I mentioned this in my second post). I think it gives a good illustration on both the high dive and how to continue fighting from that position if you don't secure it.

Back