The Greatest of All? Time.

its impressive how many years the media has gone back saying "these old guys would destroy floyd by knockout and floyd isnt that great" and hes still undefeated after all this time

I couldn't make up my mind if that article was tongue in cheek or not.

I don't really get the idea that a fighter can only be great if he struggles to beat someone.

I don't really get the idea that a fighter can only be great if he struggles to beat someone.

hes gotta take some punches bro

And Floyd has had a couple tough fights in his career. It's just that he's on a tear recently and guys can't hang with him at welterweight; it's not his fault guys aren't challenging him now.

people want to see their man fight through crazy adversity i get it, but it isnt his fault you dont get what you want

i could see money waiting till the last fight to fight pac. doing it as a retirement fight for both men would be the way to squeeze the last cent

i could see money waiting till the last fight to fight pac. doing it as a retirement fight for both men would be the way to squeeze the last cent

That's how I see it going but what would like to know who Floyd fights before his last showdown with Pacman.

I thought it what going that way (and I just got in a debate about how Floyd isn't the greatest because he hasn't lost on another forum) but in the end I think the article was more an excuse to post Homer extracts.

That said, he does have somewhat of a good point. I'm sure at the peak of Tyson's run there was someone calling him the best ever. The same for Roy Jones Jr. And in 15 years they'll be another boxer we're all thinking is the greatest ever. The simple fact is there are a lot of great boxers but there can only ever be one greatest. Trying to work out who that is is always going to be difficult, especially across eras.

I don't know man. He is a really good boxer. Best of all time is hard to cover but no one, I mean no one has been able to really break his defense.

It's about heart

How else are you gonna measure it?

Floyd plans on retiring early, clearly he is lacking in that department imo

I thought it what going that way (and I just got in a debate about how Floyd isn't the greatest because he hasn't lost on another forum) but in the end I think the article was more an excuse to post Homer extracts.

That said, he does have somewhat of a good point. I'm sure at the peak of Tyson's run there was someone calling him the best ever. The same for Roy Jones Jr. And in 15 years they'll be another boxer we're all thinking is the greatest ever. The simple fact is there are a lot of great boxers but there can only ever be one greatest. Trying to work out who that is is always going to be difficult, especially across eras.

RJJ Jr or SRR might be the BEST ever

but there is only one man who is the GREATEST, that's Ali

Best =/= Greatest

what gets me is that these guys are fighting til 50 these days what the fuck is that? They should have been done in. Joe Louis was losing it by the time the war was over and was just a name by the time he was 37, Ali was just a punching bag by 38, Sugar Ray Leonard risked life and limb at 34 against terry norris. Last week I watched a bit of Mayweather-corrales, and compared to how he fights todays, he's not half as fast, part of that is because he's bigger but even more because he's old. Used to be 27-28 was the average prime years and 30 was the cusp, what the hell is going on.

Many people, usually the less knowledgable observers, said things about tyson being better than anyone ever. Of course the old heads reserve judgement on those things but after his douglas loss you could see how highly he was thought of by the casual fan at least. And you can still see it today, lots of casual fans think tyson was the best ever TODAY!

Many people, usually the less knowledgable observers, said things about tyson being better than anyone ever. Of course the old heads reserve judgement on those things but after his douglas loss you could see how highly he was thought of by the casual fan at least. And you can still see it today, lots of casual fans think tyson was the best ever TODAY!

The man was the universally recognised Heavyweight Champion of the World

Show some respect

It's about heart

How else are you gonna measure it?

Floyd plans on retiring early, clearly he is lacking in that department imo

Heart is a code word for poor defense. Gatti had heart.

I'm not sure why people ignore the fact that Floyd has had to fight through adversity a few different times.

I'm not sure what you mean about Floyd retiring early.

The man was the universally recognised Heavyweight Champion of the World

Show some respect

the man has my love and respect but just as I have to recognize the shortcomings of another all time idol Hector Camacho who similarly had more talent than anyone he ever lost to, he didn't make it to the pantheon of greats. He is always and forever my man though.

the man has my love and respect but just as I have to recognize the shortcomings of another all time idol Hector Camacho who similarly had more talent than anyone he ever lost to, he didn't make it to the pantheon of greats. He is always and forever my man though.

I don't think you're really remembering things accurately. People thought Tyson was unbeatable when he actually appeared to be unbeatable. You take a look at Mike Spinks career and then what Tyson did to the guy- why wouldn't people think he was unstoppable? He was the youngest fighter to be lineal champ at HW ever and still is. Not only that, he barely broke a sweat doing it.

Once he lost, people started talking about him like you do. People just don't hold certain fighters to the same standards as others. Ali's fight with Cooper for example. Make everything about that fight exactly the same except have it take place today- Ali loses by KO. But no, we ignore what happened there and call Angelo Dundee a genius. Never mind that Cooper knocked Ali out.

I stuggle to think of a HW who wasn't exposed at one point or another aside from Marciano, and if you dig a little, you realize Marciano fought in arguably one of the shallowest talent pools in HW boxing history.

women, success, drink, drugs have ruined more talent than any opponent.

Heart is a code word for poor defense. Gatti had heart.

I'm not sure why people ignore the fact that Floyd has had to fight through adversity a few different times.

Bolded- I've never thought about that before, it's an interesting way of looking at it.

Underlined- Agreed, i'm tired of reading/hearing people say that all he does is run and doesn't go toe to toe. I don't like his attitude that much, but i can't deny that he's a great boxer.

Back