The Greatest Mental Warfare in MMA History...

The GOAT

20091103105059_big_preview.JPG

https://www.fightsaga.com/news/item/2517-Boxing-and-MMA-Psychological-Warfare-The-Stare-Down

Perhaps the best stare down in the history of the sport belongs to MMA legend Fedor Emelianenko. Psychologist Dr. Joe Bell once said, "The best when it comes to the stare down is Fedor Emelianenko. Watch him. He does not make eye contact and his entire expression is extremely relaxed. you would think he is about to perform a ballet or something."

Dr Bell added, "But here is the crucial thing. When the referee tells them to head back to their corners, Fedor suddenly darts a short look directly at his opponent - or through his opponent, I should say. This kind of look is associated with antisocial behavioral disorders and psychopaths. They don't look at you, they look through you. It's emotionless, it goes deeper than skin level."
I'm not a doc but I think Fedor was just focused. Still, I bet it wasn't pleasant to get that look while knowing he's about to turn it on.

José Aldo was never my friend. Also, I was never a fan of his arrogance or how entitled he is. That being said, I don't mean that as disrespect with my post, but that was some mental savagery that Conor inflicted on José for a year until the poor guy just broke and flew chin first into that left hand.

When has Jose been arrogant or entitled really for that matter besides wanting the rematch he rightfully deserved since way less accomplished champions were getting the instant rematches.

One of the greatest examples of calling someone's bluff...
hHD1a4c.gif

McG-Mayweather.gif

mayweather-vs-mcgregor-getty-ftr-082617_196pfawvxlx3o14dbssykudm0a.jpg

003_Floyd_Mayweather_vs_Conor_McGregor.0.jpg

floyd-mayweather-mcgregor-las-vegas-01.jpg

1-_DSC9161.jpg

ed3bb2f3446ba504dc7c1ce1b00d9ccf

mayweather-smile.jpg

I'm not a doc but I think Fedor was just focused. Still, I bet it wasn't pleasant to get that look while knowing he's about to turn it on.

It's hard to say but it definitely sounds like it's a mind-fuck if you think you're going to bully him or stare him down. From Brett Rogers afterwards:

"I've never been intimidated by anyone in my life. But when we got to the staredown, I looked into his eyes to let him know he was done -- and there was nothing there. It was like I was staring into a void. It kinda psyched me out."

When has Jose been arrogant or entitled really for that matter besides wanting the rematch he rightfully deserved since way less accomplished champions were getting the instant rematches.

Speaking as someone who frequented the same places as him here in Rio, and who has brushed shoulders with Barão and co. on many small events here, I can tell you that you people are missing a big part of Aldo and many others, like Anderson.

Speaking as someone who frequented the same places as him here in Rio, and who has brushed shoulders with Barão and co. on many small events here, I can tell you that you people are missing a big part of Aldo and many others, like Anderson.

Alright, do you have any examples you can share? Just curious.

The whole Vale Tudo scene was based on cockiness & ego, from day 1 in the 1930s to the IVC & WVC tournaments in the early 2000s...

It really is this by far. I know conor fans will try and sing his praises over anything but this fight and build up was a legit piece of masterful mental warfare. Got Aldo over aftessive and caused him to uncharectistically lunge into the counter. Straight out of the Musashi playbook

When Wand told Chuck he wanted to fuck him.

Chuck:

tenor.gif
I literally just spat coffee down myself you bastard..

Proper lol'd ..

And I kinda do that chuck thing when I watch a fight..

One of the greatest examples of calling someone's bluff...
hHD1a4c.gif

McG-Mayweather.gif

mayweather-vs-mcgregor-getty-ftr-082617_196pfawvxlx3o14dbssykudm0a.jpg

003_Floyd_Mayweather_vs_Conor_McGregor.0.jpg

floyd-mayweather-mcgregor-las-vegas-01.jpg

1-_DSC9161.jpg

ed3bb2f3446ba504dc7c1ce1b00d9ccf

mayweather-smile.jpg
I would have stood like homer Simpson for the dough/doh that mcgruber earned for that fight/farce..

I really can't laugh at him as he got weighed in..

The only correct answer
download-4.jpg

Last edited:
I've met Aldo for a whole afternoon and he was even more humble in person than what is portrayed in the media.

While fighting Anderson v Bonnar.

Pre-fight- Anderson- Forrest (it was apparent when he got in cage " fighting Anderson Silva " went out the window.

Honorable mentions -not a big fan of Conor but he did a number on Poirier and Aldo pre- fight.Hell a few year later, Dustin admits it ...... There's some sound bite from freekn Aldo s wife somewhere her telling Jose " he better maul this guy (something like that)"

Actually it was Rose in the build up to the first Joanna fight

And plenty of the ancillary happenings connected to the MMA world and it's fighters. It's like that lots of places, not just Brazil. I can believe it.

It's hard to say but it definitely sounds like it's a mind-fuck if you think you're going to bully him or stare him down. From Brett Rogers afterwards:

"I've never been intimidated by anyone in my life. But when we got to the staredown, I looked into his eyes to let him know he was done -- and there was nothing there. It was like I was staring into a void. It kinda psyched me out."
I believe that. I'm not sure if it was something that Fedor actively was doing though. Let's face it, he's not one of the many "GOATS" we see people rumbling about; Fighters pushed onto the people with a "GOAT" stamp made by the cheapest of inks to make people happy and money for the company. I think Brett Rogers felt the difference between Fedor and other fighters.

I believe that. I'm not sure if it was something that Fedor actively was doing though. Let's face it, he's not one of the many "GOATS" we see people rumbling about; Fighters pushed onto the people with a "GOAT" stamp made by the cheapest of inks to make people happy and money for the company. I think Brett Rogers felt the difference between Fedor and other fighters.

Agreed, I don't think he actively does it. Psychopathic tendencies tailor-made for violence mixed with ice-cream eating serene humility is just his inherent nature. It's why we love him.

Back