The Great Woman Hope

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
When Jack Johnson, the first African American HW champion was fighting, the world realized no one was going to beat this guy. They started traveling America looking for any strong white guy they could. Farm boys, Carnies, etc. The called this search the search for the “Great White Hope.” When Joe Louis became champion, he seemed indestructible. His opponents became known as the bum of the month. It was yet another search for somebody, anybody, that could beat this guy.
Today, we have as dominant a champion. It isn’t any of the men, it is Ronda Rousey. It doesn’t feel like there is anyone whom can beat her. But below is our list of potential hopefuls. Each of the below listed women either has a winning record in the UFC (though many have already lost to Rousey) or a winning record Invicta and some of their notable credentials. Who has the best shot? And how do you make any of these women a marketable, interesting opponent for Ronda? Any hopefuls I'm leaving out?

The Great Woman Hope:
In the UFC:

Here are the women at 135 right now with winning records:

Miesha Tate 6 – 3 (UFC) 17 - 5 (Overall) (already lost 2x to Rousey) (Former SF BW champ, won SF tournament, Fromer FCF BW champion)

Alexis Davis 6 – 2 (UFC) 17 – 6 (Overall) (already lost 1x to Rousey) (Former RW champion)

Jessica Andrade 4 – 2 (UFC) 13 – 4 (overall)

Amanda Nunes 4 – 2 (UFC) 11 – 4 (overall)

Sarah Kauffman 3 – 2 – 1 (UFC) 17 – 3 – 0 – 1 (Already lost 1x to Rousey) (Former SF BW champ, Former HCF BW champion)

Bethe Correia 3 – 1 (UFC) 9 – 1 (Overall) (Already lost 1x to Rousey)

Marion Reneau 2 – 1 (UFC) 6 – 2 (Overall)

Cat Zigano 2 – 1 (UFC) 9 – 1 overall (Already lost to Rousey 1x) (Former ROF champ in 2 divisions, FTW champ in 2 divisions)

Holy Holm 2 – 0 (UFC) 9 – 0 overall (Former Boxing Champion; Former Legacy FC champion)

Julianna Pena 2 – 0 (UFC) 6 – 2 Overall (Won the ultimate fighter)

In Invicta:
Tonay Evinger 4 – 0 (Invicta) 16 – 5 (Overall) (Current Invicta BW champion)

Irene Aldana 2 – 1 (Invicta) 5 – 2 (Overall) (Former JF BW champ)

Raquel Pa’aluhi 2 – 1 (Invicta) 5 – 4 (Overall)

Panine Kianzad 1 – 0 (Invicta) 8 – 0 (Overall) (Former CWFC BW champion)

Other Possible Hopefuls
Cristiane Justino (Invicta/UFC) 4 – 0 (Invicta) 14 – 1 – 0 – 1 (Overall) Undefeated SF champion, Undefeated Invicta champion) – Problem: Weighs too much.

Gina Carano 7 – 1 (Overall) – Problem: Retired; been away from the sport along time and it may have moved past her.

abe-simpson-gif.gif

Honestly, to even make it interesting at this point, if I was the UFC, then after Rousey vs. Holm I'd do an 8 woman tournament with:

Miesha Tate
Alexis Davis
Jessica Andrade
Amanda Nunes
Sarah Kauffman
Bethe Correia
Cat Zigano
Julianna Pena

I only left out Holm because she will have just lost to Rousey (though fingers crossed that she wins).

Then I'd do everything I could to sign the women that I listed in Invicta.

apples-and-oranges.jpg

It wasn't only because Jack Johnson and Joe Louis were dominant, it was the fact that they were dominant black champions during a pre-civil rights era. Ronda is actually being celebrated all across the board. Mainstream white society wanted to see Johnson and Louis lose.

Ronda on the otherhand has more fans than detractors.

I give Holly Holm a very slight chance to win. She doesn't have KO power and she didn't look spectacular in her other mma fights, but she might actually have the skill to keep Rousey at bay and tag her when she bullrushes in. Again she has no KO power and Ronda will probably get to her and finish her in the first.

Cyborg would have to cut to 135. I think she has the only chance to win.

apples-and-oranges.jpg

It wasn't only because Jack Johnson and Joe Louis were dominant, it was the fact that they were dominant black champions during a pre-civil rights era. Ronda is actually being celebrated all across the board. Mainstream white society wanted to see Johnson and Louis lose.

Ronda on the otherhand has more fans than detractors.

Yes sorry, I didn't mean to take away from the severe racial tensions of the time. I just meant to demonstrate, that similar to how there was unified (albeit terribly racist) effort to dethrone those champions, a nearly similar effort would have to occur to dethrone Ronda because there is no one available right now.

Last edited:
Honestly, to even make it interesting at this point, if I was the UFC, then after Rousey vs. Holm I'd do an 8 woman tournament with:

Miesha Tate
Alexis Davis
Jessica Andrade
Amanda Nunes
Sarah Kauffman
Bethe Correia
Cat Zigano
Julianna Pena

I only left out Holm because she will have just lost to Rousey (though fingers crossed that she wins).

Then I'd do everything I could to sign the women that I listed in Invicta.

Have you watched Holm fight? At least when Ronda crushes cans in the UFC it's pure violence.

The tournament format could be a cool idea actually.

Back