THE GREAT WALL (2nd Trailer Released)

Is Matt Damon playing a Chinese guy or was there a white guy in ancient China?

Yup, even before I saw the trailer and just read the premise. Now that I've seen the trailer, I'm impressed with the scope, the effects and the gorgeous production values of the movie. Plus, I'm a sucker for these epic action fantasy spectacles (until I see them that is).
The plot is dam silly. A wall to stop dragons... ; dragons are supposed to be able to fly. Supposing these dragons can't fly, wouldn't the dragons have decimated the builders while they took forever to build the wall.

I will watch this because Chinese cinema could use more foreign actors to boost there profile.

I'm sorry but that CGI didn't look very good.

The giant yellow arrow looked cartoonish, so did the monsters. They were a swirling green mess, plus the fireballs from the catapults looked like glorified ps4 game cinematic.

This looks absolutely atrocious:

Directed by Chinese Yimou, but looks like typical, CGI clusterfuck, Hollywood trash.

I was looking forward to an authentic, traditional, sprawling Asian cinema epic, grounded in reality, about the birth of the wall, and Yimou is giving us this shite?

Very dissapointed, will not watch.

John Woo's Red Cliff looked better. Will just watch that again.

Although, he references The Last Samurai, this is applicable to this turd

Critics Reviews of THE GREAT WALL

Rotten Tomatoes: 36% approval rating (52 out of 143 critics like it)

Critics Consensus: For a Yimou Zhang film featuring Matt Damon and Willem Dafoe battling ancient monsters, The Great Wall is neither as exciting nor as entertainingly bonkers as one might hope.

0the-great-wall-matt-damon-slice-600x200.jpg

Entertainment Weekly - The Great Wall looks like it could be a really amazing video game. Alas, it's a movie, and kind of a brick. C+

Newark Star-Ledger - There are lots of shots of creatures swarming up walls, like carnivorous cockroaches. There's not a lot of conflict or character. 2/4

Empire Magazine - There are plenty of fun CGI monster-skewering scenes, but a clunky plot, rigid script and equally stiff acting make this a crumbling disappointment, if not quite a disaster. 2/5

Richard Roeper - Director Yimou is an amazing visual stylist and he delivers a few wonderfully outrageous sequences, but what we're getting here is basically a pricey monster movie with uninteresting monsters, and [one-dimensional] human characters. 1.5/4

Rolling Stone
- What a bummer that all Chinese master Zhang Yimou and Hollywood star Matt Damon come up with is a B-level creature feature with delusions of grandeur. 1.5/4

The visuals look good for The Great Wall, but damn those reviews are scathing

Critics Reviews of THE GREAT WALL

Rotten Tomatoes: 36% approval rating (52 out of 143 critics like it)

Critics Consensus: For a Yimou Zhang film featuring Matt Damon and Willem Dafoe battling ancient monsters, The Great Wall is neither as exciting nor as entertainingly bonkers as one might hope.

0the-great-wall-matt-damon-slice-600x200.jpg

Entertainment Weekly - The Great Wall looks like it could be a really amazing video game. Alas, it's a movie, and kind of a brick. C+

Newark Star-Ledger - There are lots of shots of creatures swarming up walls, like carnivorous cockroaches. There's not a lot of conflict or character. 2/4

Empire Magazine - There are plenty of fun CGI monster-skewering scenes, but a clunky plot, rigid script and equally stiff acting make this a crumbling disappointment, if not quite a disaster. 2/5

Richard Roeper - Director Yimou is an amazing visual stylist and he delivers a few wonderfully outrageous sequences, but what we're getting here is basically a pricey monster movie with uninteresting monsters, and [one-dimensional] human characters. 1.5/4

Rolling Stone
- What a bummer that all Chinese master Zhang Yimou and Hollywood star Matt Damon come up with is a B-level creature feature with delusions of grandeur. 1.5/4

I hope Matt Damon can buy an archipelago with what they paid him for this atrocity.

holy shit...LMAO, I just watched the most recent trailer at the top of the page. Its actually worse than I imagined.
How, in God's name, did this script get passed up by Nic Cage?

holy shit...LMAO, I just watched the most recent trailer at the top of the page. Its actually worse than I imagined.
How, in God's name, did this script get passed up by Nic Cage?

636062116660854814-203247698_nick-foles.gif

Back