The Great Smartphone & Tablet Thread, v3: iPhone / iPad / Android / WP8 / Blackberry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just unboxed a GS5 yesterday. didn't really have time to test it but bootup time is only a few seconds (glad to see this is becoming the norm on new devices, ie. Galaxy series phones, iPhone 5) but the Goddamn colors pop in your face immediately.

I just unboxed a GS5 yesterday. didn't really have time to test it but bootup time is only a few seconds (glad to see this is becoming the norm on new devices, ie. Galaxy series phones, iPhone 5) but the Goddamn colors pop in your face immediately.
I didn't realize how fast the thing would charge. The Note 3 is the only other phone right now with a USB3 port and its power throughput, but it's larger size demands a larger battery (3200mAh vs. 2800 mAh), so it doesn't charge quite as quickly. USB3's power throughput is 80% greater than USB2. The S5 also supports Qualcomm's Quickcharge 2.0 protocol. It charges from 0% to 100% in ~2 hours. Of the major flagships, only the LG G2 Pro and LG G3 are better due to the oversized amperage chargers they ship with.

Madmick...I have an otterbox on now but my s5 when I dropped it a couple times...the top corners look like water condensation, its not water...what is it...

Anyone with Sony Xperia Z1, what's your impression?

I fucking hate my Iphone 5. I've had iphones in the past and thought they were ok, but I really didn't realize how horrid they were until my work got me a galaxy s4. It's funny because even at that point I just thought, "Yeah, this is a badass phone." but still didn't understand just how much better it was.

I went to at&t right before the galaxy s5 came out but the iphone was fucking dirt cheap, in fact, it was cheaper than the s4 and I would have had to wait for 2 weeks to get the s5, so I just went ahead and got the iphone 5, which is a horrid piece of shit.

I'll be surfing the internet and it will randomly glitch out and hit the back button 6 times in a row. I'll go to type, whether it's in a thread or just a text message, and it will miss an insane amount of fuckign keys all in a row, makign it so I have to delete nearly an entire line and start over again. Some times the screen will glitch out and it won't even bring up the back button or the god damned 'new tab' button, so I'm fucking stuck on a a page I don't want to be on. The worst part is when it just stops streaming audio through the blue tooth in my vehicle and cause me to fucking restart the piece of shit and reconnect while I'm driving down the highway.

Also, the screen is just out right inconsistent. My galaxy was amazing in the sense that you could just hover above the screen and it new exactly where your finger was. This fucking iphone requires actual taps, and I mean forceful, hard fucking taps. When ever I would let an iphone owner use my galaxy I would notice just how hard they would hit my screen and think, "wtf, it's a phone, not a god damn granite slab, stop hitting it so hard." but now I totally understand.

In short, iphones fucking suck and I never would have known if I didn't use a galaxy.

Madmick...I have an otterbox on now but my s5 when I dropped it a couple times...the top corners look like water condensation, its not water...what is it...
Sounds like you ruptured the LED screen in those corners and the light is bleeding. I'm guessing it looks fluid, but multicolored, sort of like the inside of an Abalone shell.

Collect on your warranty, immediately.

Sounds like you ruptured the LED screen in those corners and the light is bleeding. I'm guessing it looks fluid, but multicolored, sort of like the inside of an Abalone shell.

Collect on your warranty, immediately.

My warrenty? I didnt even know I had one...I have insurance through my provider but u have to pay still...ive only had the phone for a few months

I got the S5, amazing phone.

Goddamn. I think my Moto X I got 5 months ago is starting to crap out on me.

I'm gonna wipe it and hope it fixes all the glitches I've been having. I hope it's just a buggy launcher I've been using because I'd be super fucking pissed if it doesn't fix itself.

My warrenty? I didnt even know I had one...I have insurance through my provider but u have to pay still...ive only had the phone for a few months
If you're still in the first year, then you will have gotten warranty via the manufacturer regardless of where you bought it (so long as you didn't buy it used/auctioned from a third party). However, the warranties on phones are different than those for the discrete hardware we've discussed in the PC gaming thread.

Unfortunately, I looked it up, and accidental physical damage isn't covered by the Samsung's 1-year warranty for your phone. You can always apply for an RMA and cross your fingers, but that is exceptionally unlikely. Even at Best Buy only insurance covers screen damage, and typically that insurance is so high that it's a scam that isn't worth it. I remember the insurance they tried to sell to my friend for his Nexus 7 would have been 1/3 the cost of the tablet, and it may have only covered one year (it could have been 3 years, can't remember).

At this point, my recommendation is to visit your carrier reps and discuss your options. They make so much damn money that usually they're willing to finagle to replace phones that are as new as yours. You may have to re-finance by paying some sort of one-time fee, but it's almost certainly going to cost you less than buying a new one outright.

If nothing else works, then if you simply express frustration, without anger, demonstrating a sort of crestfallen feeling where you phrase your state of mind like, "I think...I just...I think it may be in my best interest to break contract and go get a new one for cheaper by signing a contract with another carrier..."

It's a little outrageous, but they show a strong face to test the masses to see what they will tolerate, then only get a hop in their step when you do this. Just don't yell or get angry. These store managers have a pretty wide berth of discretion from what I can tell by my experiences in the past (I once got an entire summer's T-Mobile bill wiped out using this tactic). It's a bit like dickering for a car. It's just the nature of business when there is more fruit on the tree. They have to be flexible to be competitive. That's why car deals don't list the lowest price that they're really willing to meet.

I make no promises. That sucks what happened to your phone.

Let me offer this to comfort you, Diablo. This company is becoming (or has already become) the new standard in phone durability testing in the smartphone game:
http://www.squaretrade.com/blog/category/videos/drop-tests-videos/

They still need to improve their UI to compile and present all their data in a more easily apprehended format. They rank several different tested criteria, then they assign an overall score. They're still in their infancy, since they must test multiple devices multiple times, so they only have reviews for the major sellers (at least available to the public for free). I've compiled the scores:

SQUARETRADE DURABILITY SCORES (Lower is Better)
Moto X= 4.5
HTC One= 4.5
iPhone 5= 5.0
iPhone 5s= 5.5
HTC One Max= 5.5
Galaxy S5= 6.0
HTC One (M8)= 6.5
Galaxy S3= 6.5
Galaxy S4= 7.0
Nexus 5= 7.0

Also, I know you already invested in an Otterbox, and those are among the best, but for maximum protection, the Lifeproof cases are king, and the Seidio OBEX line is a startup that is gunning for them. Lifeproof uses to only make cases for the iPhone, but now they support major releases in the Galaxy line, too:
http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/us_en/galaxy-s5-cases/galaxy-s5-case/
prod_sgs5_fre_black_front_3-4_140320.jpg

*Edit* Seidio's most rugged case for the Galaxy S5 is the Convert, though, and I just doubled checked its specifications, and there's nothing to indicate that it is more durable than the Otterbox Defender series or other premium rugged case lines. I recommend the Lifeproof if you replace your case.

*Edit #2: I was about to double check XDA for community input when a simple Google revealed that there is an entire website devoted to Rugged S5 case reviews:
http://galaxys5cases.com/galaxy-s5-rugged-cases/
Their top recommended case is the Otterbox Preserver. They say this:
The OtterBox Preserver for the Galaxy S5 is finally available to purchase and it’s definitely the best rugged case currently out. It’s extremely durable and can withstand nearly any sort of impact and it can also be dunked in up to 6 feet of water and still keep your phone completely safe...The Preserver is a little thicker than LifeProof’s cases, but the increased drop protection more than makes up for that fact. I cannot foresee any type of accident causing any sort of damage to your S5 while it’s protected in this beast of a case.

I definitely recommend picking up a Preserver if you’ve been looking for a completely waterproof case. It’s 10 extra dollars over the LifeProof, but the amount of protection it adds is worth way more than that. You don’t get a belt clip like you do with the OtterBox Defender, though, which is the only other thing that could possibly make this case a better value.
http://galaxys5cases.com/otterbox-preserver/
45535.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone have a HTC one m8?

How does its battery life hold up in real world usage?

I didn't realize how fast the thing would charge. The Note 3 is the only other phone right now with a USB3 port and its power throughput, but it's larger size demands a larger battery (3200mAh vs. 2800 mAh), so it doesn't charge quite as quickly. USB3's power throughput is 80% greater than USB2. The S5 also supports Qualcomm's Quickcharge 2.0 protocol. It charges from 0% to 100% in ~2 hours. Of the major flagships, only the LG G2 Pro and LG G3 are better due to the oversized amperage chargers they ship with.

haha dude, the fuck is up with the Note 3 & horrible battery life? I just bought our CEO 4 batteries & an external charger because he says the thing just drinks power

Goddamn. I think my Moto X I got 5 months ago is starting to crap out on me.

I'm gonna wipe it and hope it fixes all the glitches I've been having. I hope it's just a buggy launcher I've been using because I'd be super fucking pissed if it doesn't fix itself.
What issues you having? I've got the moto X and there's some easy fixes on it, I've actually had hardly any issues on this and I'm about 8 months in and had only 1 issue which was a bad KitKat launcher.

Any word on whether there will be a Firefly app available for other formats, like Windows? I'm considering an upgrade to a Lumia 1520, but the identifying application of Firefly allures me. I don't mind that it instantly pops up with the Amazon page, but from what you're telling me buying the Firephone would be a dead bust.

I'm thinking of jumping ship from samsung to nexus. My official upgrade from ATT is not until next May, I think, but I could probably sell my S4 for most of the cost of upgrading.

When is the next Nexus coming out? Any thoughts, Mick?

I'm thinking of jumping ship from samsung to nexus. My official upgrade from ATT is not until next May, I think, but I could probably sell my S4 for most of the cost of upgrading.

When is the next Nexus coming out? Any thoughts, Mick?

I'm not Mick but my best guess in around October or November, just like the N4 and the N5 were announced/sold. Probably going to be the first phone shipping with the new OS, "L" or whatever its called.

haha dude, the fuck is up with the Note 3 & horrible battery life? I just bought our CEO 4 batteries & an external charger because he says the thing just drinks power
No, that shouldn't be right. Terribly odd. It sounds like he might have a faulty device. That IS something that warranty covers, so if he's still in his first year, tell him to take it in and complain to his carrier. They might direct him to RMA the device to Samsung himself, but I suspect they'll take care of it for him.

Phablet's typically have the best battery life (despite the lower mAh per square inch of the display) because of the battery's overall higher absolute charge; this makes sense if you look at the usage of your battery in the General Settings at any given time. The Display accounts for the bulk of drain, but it's still usually in the range of 40%-70% of the total drain for any given phone as used by the average person, so the higher absolute mAh still wins.

The Note 3 is known for having among the best battery life of all smartphones; it is named in the upper echelon according to just about every respectable reviewer out there:

My Top Recommended Resource:
GSM Arena > Smartphone Battery Life Table (Note 3= #15 with equal usage between talking, web browsing, and video playback)

Two Additional Roundups from the Past Year:
Phone Arena > Mobile Olympics: phones with the best battery life--several generations reviewed (Note 3= #34)
CNET > Smartphones with seriously long battery life (roundup) [Updated July 2nd, 2014]

My friend has a Note3 and it takes his forever to charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back