The Great Smartphone & Tablet Thread, v3: iPhone / iPad / Android / WP8 / Blackberry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a LG G3 to replace my ancient IPhone 4. Should receive it tomorrow.

Had the Nexus 5 for a while now. Best phone I've had ever.

just heard the news Sony is already planning the Xperia Z3 for release THIS YEAR!

Basterds don't even have the decency to wait for 10-11 months... again, IMO there is really no need for companies to release flagship models every year, yet alone two in one year.

Last edited:
I've got a Nexus 7 which I originally bought for comics. However I found it to be more of a pain than it was worth and I truly do like paper comics more.

Now the device is just a paperweight for the most part.

I use Reddit, this site, and I read a quick email with it. I have a phone and a computer that can do that. I feel like its got lots tial for so much more but I don't know what.

I've pretty much gone all on board with Windows devices - tablets, phones, you name it. I'm actually typing this from an Acer Iconia W700 - very close hardware to a Surface Pro 1 - and it has become my main computer in every sense of the word, outputting to my 55 inch TV most of the time or coming with me in a little 2 pound package on the go. I have a Surface RT (first gen) as my travel/expendable machine and between the keyboard cover and a Bluetooth mouse, it fills in for my main computer in almost every work capacity I can throw at it. My phone is a Lumia 900 and though it is a bit on the slow side (old Windows 7 phone) it hooks into all of my MS services (Skydrive, Office, onenote) very well.

Frankly, for working machines, I find them *far* superior to the Android and Apple devices that I used up until about two years ago. The biggest deficiency is apps and, frankly, almost every actual productive app I could possibly need is available with actual full fledged desktop programs to pick up and far overshoot the slack in the case of the Iconia W700. All I miss out on are games and I don't really have time for those anyways.

I'll be upgrading to a new Windows phone within the year and I'll be on the lookout for new Windows 8.1/RT devices to replace my Surface RT in a year or so, but I couldn't be happier with going the MS route. Tried Android, tried, Apple, they were *severely* compromised for productivity, whereas my Windows tablets/phones have exceeded almost all of my expectations.

Android and iOS are the right products for some people but if you bash the far less popular Windows based tablets/phones without trying them, you may be missing out on the product that is right for you simply because it's not as popular. I was.

Last edited:
Picked up the G3 yesterday. I'm loving the screen and size of the phone already.

I've pretty much gone all on board with Windows devices - tablets, phones, you name it. I'm actually typing this from an Acer Iconia W700 - very close hardware to a Surface Pro 1 - and it has become my main computer in every sense of the word, outputting to my 55 inch TV most of the time or coming with me in a little 2 pound package on the go. I have a Surface RT (first gen) as my travel/expendable machine and between the keyboard cover and a Bluetooth mouse, it fills in for my main computer in almost every work capacity I can throw at it. My phone is a Lumia 900 and though it is a bit on the slow side (old Windows 7 phone) it hooks into all of my MS services (Skydrive, Office, onenote) very well.

Frankly, for working machines, I find them *far* superior to the Android and Apple devices that I used up until about two years ago. The biggest deficiency is apps and, frankly, almost every actual productive app I could possibly need is available with actual full fledged desktop programs to pick up and far overshoot the slack in the case of the Iconia W700. All I miss out on are games and I don't really have time for those anyways.

I'll be upgrading to a new Windows phone within the year and I'll be on the lookout for new Windows 8.1/RT devices to replace my Surface RT in a year or so, but I couldn't be happier with going the MS route. Tried Android, tried, Apple, they were *severely* compromised for productivity, whereas my Windows tablets/phones have exceeded almost all of my expectations.

Android and iOS are the right products for some people but if you bash the far less popular Windows based tablets/phones without trying them, you may be missing out on the product that is right for you simply because it's not as popular. I was.

Mobile devices are OK on the go, but when I'm at home or can sit down at a desk, I prefer a desktop like experience. Those Dell Venue Pro 8" tablets look pretty sweet, and when using with a keyboard with a full Win 8 experience, it beats Android or iOS. I have a Windows 8.1 Lumia 820 and a Nexus 5. At least for phones, I do prefer Android over WP 8.1, but my Lumia works great as a media device. It has offline navigation, which is a great feature of the Windows Phone.

Just came here to post that my Galaxy S4 acts like hot garbage sometimes but I still prefer it over a we-own-all-your-digital-content iPhone.

My next phone will either be a windows phone or an easily rootable android that I'll just put stock AOSP on. This galaxy S4 with 4.4.2 is the first android I have that I couldn't root, stupid Knox shit

Just came here to post that my Galaxy S4 acts like hot garbage sometimes but I still prefer it over a we-own-all-your-digital-content iPhone.

My next phone will either be a windows phone or an easily rootable android that I'll just put stock AOSP on. This galaxy S4 with 4.4.2 is the first android I have that I couldn't root, stupid Knox shit

I used towelroot (www.towelroot.com) to root my Nexus 5. Essentially, go to the website and follow directions. It was very easy on my Nexus.

Mobile devices are OK on the go, but when I'm at home or can sit down at a desk, I prefer a desktop like experience. Those Dell Venue Pro 8" tablets look pretty sweet, and when using with a keyboard with a full Win 8 experience, it beats Android or iOS. I have a Windows 8.1 Lumia 820 and a Nexus 5. At least for phones, I do prefer Android over WP 8.1, but my Lumia works great as a media device. It has offline navigation, which is a great feature of the Windows Phone.

Big thing for you will be look for a device with a micro-HDMI or mini display port output so you can plug it into a monitor/TV. Full Windows 8 tablet with those and a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo in the USB port on a Surface Pro type machine and plugged into a monitor and you've basically got a desktop experience from your mobile device. Even some light gaming works well on them - I play Civilization V when I've got downtime and my Iconia W700 handles it very well, and that device is the equivalent of a first gen Surface Pro.

Windows devices aren't for everyone, but anyone who writes them off - *especially* the tablets, which offer a lot of very notable advantages over their competitors - is doing themselves a disservice. They may not be for you, but you might find yourself having trouble going back to iOS or Android like I'm doing now.

Heard there's an upgraded LG G3 coming out. Maybe in 3 months.

Big thing for you will be look for a device with a micro-HDMI or mini display port output so you can plug it into a monitor/TV. Full Windows 8 tablet with those and a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo in the USB port on a Surface Pro type machine and plugged into a monitor and you've basically got a desktop experience from your mobile device. Even some light gaming works well on them - I play Civilization V when I've got downtime and my Iconia W700 handles it very well, and that device is the equivalent of a first gen Surface Pro.

Windows devices aren't for everyone, but anyone who writes them off - *especially* the tablets, which offer a lot of very notable advantages over their competitors - is doing themselves a disservice. They may not be for you, but you might find yourself having trouble going back to iOS or Android like I'm doing now.

[YT]?v=jPPY4m8iY0k[/YT]

These accessories look pretty nice to use the Dell Venue Pro to work as a desktop with multiple monitors.

Indeed. You have to tailor your particular device a bit to get them working on multiple monitors - pretty much all of the tablets only have one display output port. With the minidisplay port you can daisy chain your device to multiple monitors, but not with the micro-hdmi. There are quite a few docking stations that will fill role too.

Upgrading today, should I go iPhone, Galaxy s5 or Note?

Leaning towards Note, any cons?

I have an S4 also and it often gets on my nerves with lag and random bugs, especially since the latest update.

I'm considering going to nexus for my next phone (my last one was an S2, and before than an iphone).

I really like windows phones too! If i was to buy a tablet i'd pick up a surface. its cool

Upgrading today, should I go iPhone, Galaxy s5 or Note?

Leaning towards Note, any cons?
vs. Galaxy S5
- It isn't dustproof and water resistant (IP67)
- 13MP (vs. 16MP) camera
- Snapdragon 800 (2.3GHz) chipset is ~7% slower.
- No fingerprint sensor (the Note has the Stylus advantage, though).
- Will be supplanted first (Note 4 comes out in Q4).
- The display is larger, but the S5 is the best display ever released in a smartphone

Amazon android store got $100 worth of app freebies for today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back