The Great Smartphone & Tablet Thread, v3: iPhone / iPad / Android / WP8 / Blackberry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't paid attention to phones much in 3 years, as that's how old mine is, but its funny that clearly children still care very much about which 'brand' they have and regardless of facts will trash the others, like always. Cute.

Sounds boring.

I got a flip phone that can actually make and receive calls unlike my Android phone. I could have sold the phone but it was much more satisfying to smash it with a hammer.

Looks like there may be no Nexus 6:icon_sad::icon_sad:

I'm baffled why industry media continues to call a potential successor to the current Nexus 5 a Nexus 6 unless they're expecting a 6 inch phone. If there were a new Nexus smartphone, it'd be called a Nexus 5 (b/c it'd probably be a 5 inch phone) same as how the current Nexus 7 is called the same thing as the last one.

I haven't paid attention to phones much in 3 years, as that's how old mine is, but its funny that clearly children still care very much about which 'brand' they have and regardless of facts will trash the others, like always. Cute.

Says guy who uses a car brand as his moniker.

That dudes fingernails...is he a fucking vampire?

So Sony rolled out the 4.4.2 KitKat for the Xperia Z (among others). I don't remember an OS more faulty than this one. Battery goes away in an instant (and i'm not even a power user), you have a stupid emergency call on the middle of the lockscreen which you can't remove, the phone is slower than ever etc.

Now, i do get that they purposely issue faulty OS for the older phones and make you upgrade it cause it seems slow. But the phone is less than 1,5 years old... C'mon man, it's not my fault you issued like 3-4 additional versions of the same phone since then.

I never considered flashing my phone (especially since this one is a company phone) but can anyone recommend me some good links on how to do it? Can i install cynogen on my Xperia Z?

You should be able to if you have tplay store. It does everything for you.

Wifi calling for t mobile (finally)?Answering phone calls from an iPad or mac? Text message integration over local wifi to the same?

Apple just stopped me from buying an android phone. Or a non-Mac PC for that matter.

The other WWDC stuff was all nice but this is simple convenient stuff I will use every day.

Wifi calling for t mobile (finally)?Answering phone calls from an iPad or mac? Text message integration over local wifi to the same?

Apple just stopped me from buying an android phone. Or a non-Mac PC for that matter.

The other WWDC stuff was all nice but this is simple convenient stuff I will use every day.

im sure android will step up its calling/sms features because of this.

TIME > Amazon Unveils Long-Awaited Fire Phone
GSM Arena > Amazon Fire Phone: Specifications

amazon-fire-phone-8521.jpg

Amazon-Fire-Phone-Render.jpg

amazon-fire.jpg

Here's a few relevant stories from my RSS feed:
Engadget > Amazon Fire Phone Hands-On
GSM Arena > Amazon unveils the Fire Phone with eye-tracking tech

Here's a couple relevant (negative) stories from my FB feed & elsewhere:
Venturebeat > Amazon’s Fire Phone might be the biggest privacy invasion ever (and no one’s noticed)
DroidLife > Here is the Amazon Fire Phone’s Biggest Flaw Presented Perfectly in a Single Image
Forbes > 4 Reasons The Amazon Fire Phone Will Fail

I'll merge into the smartphone thread once this falls off the 2nd page.

i tried to switch mine to T-mo, but holy fack they're phones are super expansive since they have no contract's. Anyone know where i can get a good deal on a GS5 or HTC M8 ? i was planning on waiting for the G3, but it bet that will be near 700$. Need some help on wear i can find good deals online or something

There were a couple of 3d phones that weren't succeful because it as just too gimmicky. Is there any difference to their 3d phone compared to others?

LG had a 3d camera as well in their 3d phone.

i tried to switch mine to T-mo, but holy fack they're phones are super expansive since they have no contract's. Anyone know where i can get a good deal on a GS5 or HTC M8 ? i was planning on waiting for the G3, but it bet that will be near 700$. Need some help on wear i can find good deals online or something

Craigslist? Swappa.com?

They phones aren't more expensive by the way, they just don't hide the cost from you in the monthly "data" costs like ATT or Verizon.

Even with the cost of the phone monthly payment you will probably save a good amount of money versus other carriers.

If you don't want to finance and don't need long battery life, the Nexus 5 is still a great deal for the money.

Dropped my s5 now the top right corner looks like there is condensation in there but think its some cheap shit looking aluminum

There were a couple of 3d phones that weren't succeful because it as just too gimmicky. Is there any difference to their 3d phone compared to others?

LG had a 3d camera as well in their 3d phone.
Until it's not a gimmick, it's a gimmick. That's my logic. So far it's been all gimmick. I hate the Fire OS, but I think the Kindle Fires are a screaming deal for Amazon Prime users who are accustomed to paying for every one of their services (i.e. not pirates), but that's chiefly because they're so cheap.

These phones are $650. Why would I pay $650 to buy into a restrictive, proprietary OS when I could get the LG G2 for the exact same price, or the Galaxy S5 for $100 more? The Fire is $199 w/contract. You can get the G2 for free with a contract. T-Mobile users can get the HTC One M8 for free with contract. There are deals like that every month from flagship to flagship and carrier to carrier (although not so much for Samsung phones anymore, or Verizon users).

This phone is an even worse Moto X. Massively overpriced for an ersatz "walled-garden" to the iPhone. It's in a tweener world that appeals to nobody.

I've been looking forward to your thoughts on this, Mickey.

getting a new phone soon and I'm a complete n00b. so i'll simply ask:

Galaxy S5 or LG G3?

If it was only a touch screen camera and music player, and it was $200, I might buy it. I could see myself taking a picture of things about to run out and ordering right from the device. And using the unlimited cloud storage for photos.

I heard it's also exclusive to AT&T only. I'll never, ever, ever do business with AT&T again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back