The great hang dry or tumble dry your gi debate

1neeto

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I know the general consensus when washing and drying a 100% cotton gi is to wash it cold and hang dry. But to me sometimes it's not practical to hang dry because I live in an apartment building (no direct sunlight when I hang dry my gis) and it's usually humid, which means a GI can take as long as a day and half to dry. Not only that but after a day of being damp, it can start to smell moldy.

So lately I've been tumble drying my gis and so far they haven't shrunk any more than the initial shrink, and not to mention they smell much better. Am I shortening the service life of my gis by doing this?

Yes. Have you thought about hanging it in your bathroom off the shower curtains rod? It might take longer to dry, but it'll solve your humidity and mold problem

Yes. Have you thought about hanging it in your bathroom off the shower curtains rod? It might take longer to dry, but it'll solve your humidity and mold problem

Really? The bathroom is the most humid place in my place. The longer it stays damp, the more chances of growing mold.

Lol it doesn't. Old building built in the late 60's.

Hang dry outside in the sun. That's what I do.

If they aren't shrinking then you'll be ok, you'll just have to buy a new gi sooner

You might be shortening the life of the gi but so what? If it's a good gi, then maybe it lasts 3 years instead of 4 or 5. Seems like a pretty good tradeoff for non moldy gis and the hassle of hang drying.

You might be shortening the life of the gi but so what? If it's a good gi, then maybe it lasts 3 years instead of 4 or 5. Seems like a pretty good tradeoff for non moldy gis and the hassle of hang drying.

Also if you have a rotation then your gis can dry while you are using the fresh one. If you have three gis you will always have a dry one

I also live in an old building and I don't really use a drier for my gi's unless i'm trying to shrink them. I have a rope that runs diagonally across my bed room, and I hang my gi pants from that. I take some hangers and put my gi tops on them, then hand them from a pull up bar that I have in my apartment. you can also drape the gi tops over chairs or put them on hangers and put them on door knobs. I don't know if you live alone and have free reign to put thing where you'd like. But that is my system, and I live in an old building built in the 1930's.

I always dry all of my gis on low heat and take them out before they completely dry. Then I just hang them off of doorknobs, chairs, etc. so they can finish drying. I live in an apartment building and cannot hang them outside.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'e been hanging them from everywhere, even a pull-up bar but they still take a while to dry. I did put it in front of a running fan and it seems to cut about 3-4 hours so I'll keep doing that. I only have two gis so far and I go 3-4 times a week, so for the most part, one of my gis is dry.

I do like how they smell and feel when I tumble dry them though. :)

Two gis for 3-4 times a week is not enough in my opinion. I prefer to do laundry once a week at most. I would own 5 or more gis depending on closet space.

Tumble dry is fine. I have had the same Gi for 2 years of training and I wash/tumble dry it after every class. It's still in great shape.

As long as it doesn't keep shrinking you should be fine. Otherwise buy more GI's so they have time to dry (preferably from us lol).

Two gis for 3-4 times a week is not enough in my opinion. I prefer to do laundry once a week at most. I would own 5 or more gis depending on closet space.

I prefer to wash my gi right after training while it still is soaked in sweat. Leaving it to dry will only make the smell to really get into the fabric. No thanks!

Tumble dry is fine. I have had the same Gi for 2 years of training and I wash/tumble dry it after every class. It's still in great shape.

This is the other side of the debate I've read a few times. Many swear that tumble drying does nothing after it initially shrinks.

As long as it doesn't keep shrinking you should be fine. Otherwise buy more GI's so they have time to dry (preferably from us lol).

Haha! Ship to Hawaii?

Depends on the kind of gi.

I have a Infiniti competitor gi that will shrink if I dry it at all.

My gameness air gis I tumble dry them about halfway with no issues at all

Back