The great cardio secret

twoblink

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nope, not selling pills or anything, but I thought I'd share one of the stories here in Taiwan.

Recently, 2 TKD'ers won gold metals at the Olympics, and so a lot of people started having Olympic dreams.

One of my friends wanted to train, and so he went to a famous trainer..

The trainer's response:

"I'll train you for free, if you can jump rope for 20 minutes, none stop, not messing up once."

My friend took his challenge, and failed. He said he's done running a few miles, recently out of the Military etc, but he said 20 minutes none stop of jump roping kicked his ass like he never imagined. He said it was the ultimate cardio.

Now I jump rope (like 3 minutes) and it kicks my ass. I can't imagine going 20 minutes. The trainer said, "150-180 rotations a minute, 20 minutes, you hit that, and you will never have to worry about cardio."

A jump rope cost me about $5, some cheaper, some more expensive. But under $10 easily. Get the ones with the larger handles.

The added benefit is much better timing.. also, you don't need a lot of space. Anyplace will work, and it's a great warmup too. Also, the risk of injury is minimal, and if you want to work on good explosiveness (as jump roping is actually a form of plyometrics) you can go 5 rotations, and then a double, 5 rotations, and then a double. Crossovers, backwards, single foot, etc... I sometimes go "double, left foot, right foot" and repeat.

The variations are endless, so you won't get bored.

I thought I'd share, since most seem to have difficult cardio programs. It need not be that difficult people, to get good cardio.

And please, save me the "I did jump ropes in the 3rd grade, it wasn't hard". Because anybody who says the jump rope isn't difficult, is lying.

Hope this helps someone in their quest for better cardio.

For some reason, I cannot jump rope...I cant get the rythm down.

It took you the advice of a famous trainer to work out that jumping rope is good for cardio. I'm stuck somewhere between ridicule and pity.

I tend to get 10-15 min skipping as a warm up before training, sometimes doing sprinting with it ala GC

At the Boxing gym I go to we do 15 minutes of jumping rope as warming up and we don't have great cardio. So I don't believe 20 minutes of jumping rope will give you great cardio.

Huh? It's not really secret in the U.S., I think just about every fighter since the beggining of time has been jumping rope. Most people cross-train with other forms of cardio also, i.e. longer aerobic training, like running, eliptical, swimming etc. I recommend Buddy Lee book if want some routines and tips, also if you have the money (about $25) his ropes are awesome.

Isn't joping rope one of the more common cardio exercises for boxers?

good cardio for tkd is probley not good carido for fighting

>>It took you the advice of a famous trainer to work out that jumping rope is good for cardio. I'm stuck somewhere between ridicule and pity.

Actually, I already do jump ropes.

Also, how fast are you jumping? "warming up" speed, or faster?

I used to skip rope for 12-15 minutes straight. I usually mixed up the pace and rhythm.

Is it normal skipping aerobic or anaerobic training?

Odium I have that psalm tattood on my left forearm in olde englishe it is one of my favorites.

$uperman said:
At the Boxing gym I go to we do 15 minutes of jumping rope as warming up and we don't have great cardio. So I don't believe 20 minutes of jumping rope will give you great cardio.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

Boomstick said:
Odium I have that psalm tattood on my left forearm in olde englishe it is one of my favorites.

Yup, I love it, and I don't even think of myself as christian :wink:

Odium said:
Is it normal skipping aerobic or anaerobic training?

Either one, depending on your routine and your conditioning. Doing doubles can get you to your AT.

Jumping rope is a thing of the past. You guys want a real secrect? Play Dance, Dance Revolution. It's way more interesting than jumping rope and if you play it right, you'll be warmed up in well under 20 minutes.

just started doing running and jumping rope at the same time. Half way around the block, I think most people would have puked.

boxers jumps rope for a little bit of cardio, but also for hand eye coordination

dude....

i remember phil baroni saying that he did 45 straight minutes of rope work at the end of all of his training sessions...

he isn't the god of cardio either...

20 minutes of jump rope should be a warm up dude...

if not now, then it eventually will for you. stick with it, and don't let it kick your ass!

Polynikes said:
dude....

i remember phil baroni saying that he did 45 straight minutes of rope work at the end of all of his training sessions...

he isn't the god of cardio either...

20 minutes of jump rope should be a warm up dude...

if not now, then it eventually will for you. stick with it, and don't let it kick your ass!

Phil Baroni tells some tall tales...kinda like he's the best eva.

He's still cool though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back