the Grappler body

Nickynoneck

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok from doing a grappling art i have noticed the type of body people usually end up with and characteristics of agrapplers body or classic deformities haha heres what i have noticed and you can add to it .

the first thing iam gonna start off with is the cauliflower ear

the collar bone poking out of the shoulder from so many seprated shoulders ( i just got in that club)

feet that are constantly sprained eventually mutanting your foot do your big toe joint is sticking out from scar tissue .

forarms the size of some peoples legs haha .

the damn neck rash/burn from chokes.

the amount of calausis you get on your feet or the nice huge "cigarette burn" looking thing on your foot which makes you embarassed to wear sandals in the summer . and the ones on your hands from gripping .

the sore muscles around your neck if you get choked really hard and the pain lasts for days .

or the night you go over chokes and the next morning your cant talk .

cant think of anymore please add!!

You have pretty much covered it.

I would add the occasional episode of ringworm, and or other nasty skin ailments.

Some wrestlers seem to have the Lindland pear-shaped body. They look like sloppy tubbies, but the flab around the waist gives them low centre of gravity, or something like that.

not having a neck because it gets so thick, it looks like your head is just sitting on your shoulders.

like a fred flinstone effect

I would say a disproportionately large neck is a one thing I developed.

I have a pretty small frame and a big neck. It is realy hard to find shirts I can button up all the way and wear a tie with, that don't look like a parachute around my waist.

I already had a thick and short neck before starting grappling, now i have no neck, i can literally turtle my entire neck except my trachea into my shoulders, lol annoys the hell out a lot of people going for chokes

I already had a thick and short neck before starting grappling, now i have no neck, i can literally turtle my entire neck except my trachea into my shoulders, lol annoys the hell out a lot of people going for chokes

iam with you on that i can usually start talking to people while theer trying to choke me .nothing pisses them off more then saying "no thats not it "

My elbows are rubbery and calloused from them constantly rubbing the mat in no-gi and the inside of my gi when I'm wearing it.

forgot all those damn mini grappler bruises from peopling gripping, mostly on the biceps and forearms, also, anyone ever notice is the new guys to bjj that give TONS of bruises?

forgot all those damn mini grappler bruises from peopling gripping, mostly on the biceps and forearms, also, anyone ever notice is the new guys to bjj that give TONS of bruises?

Yes they will pinch your arms between their knee and the mat when high mount, I usually avoid it but they get me now and then.

True that on the forearm thing, someone asked my why my forearms were huge the other day so I measured them and they were 2 1/2 inches larger than my friend of the same size who lifts but doesn't grapple.

True that on the forearm thing, someone asked my why my forearms were huge the other day so I measured them and they were 2 1/2 inches larger than my friend of the same size who lifts but doesn't grapple.

yeah its funny you can pick out the guys who do grappling with there almost popeye body shape my arms are big i swear my forearms are bigger then my biceps haha .

i get the ones on my upper arms around my arm pits from gripping .

ohh i forgot the morning after a class and the skin on your cheeks nbones are still red and sometimes puffy if you catch an elbow/knee to the face and you have to go work the next morning .

I usually use the fight club " first rule of fight club" quote .

Back