News The GOAT Anderson Silva still to this day says BJ Penn is the best ever. Picks his 4 best fighters.

Agree that Penn should be a goat but Royce on that list is a joke

I think fighters that jump weightclasses and are competitive is far more impressive than title defenses
Royce didnt have weight classes to jump he fought anyone at every weight in the early days. Come on braddah. Andersons argument is what Royce did for the sport. Im telling you MMA was around long before Royce but it was what the Gracies and Davies did that brought it out. I remember all the talk about this skinny brasilian kid beating all these braddahs in a single night.

Current record aside, BJ is one of the all time greats and during his prime was a hard fight for anyone.

A 225lb Machida couldn't finish him, and that says a lot, especially when you consider how out of shape BJ was for that fight (around 190lbs).

We all know how things ended up for BJ, but in his prime, when he took fighting seriously, he was one of the most feared and well rounded fighters on the planet.

Last edited:
Penn had a run of fights that ranks up there with any fighter in UFC history as far as great performances go.

11-3-1 LW record.

Wins:
Gomi
Sherk
Uno
Thomas
Serra
Florian
Sanchez
Stevenson
Pulver

Losses:
Pulver
Edgar x2

Draw:
Uno

The Gomi and Sherk wins are self explanatory. They are good wins.

Uno and Thomas were arguably #2 and #3 when Penn demolished them. Massive wins back then for a newcomer. Thomas would come back to the UFC 6 years later, out of his prime, and put on a respectable run.

Serra would go on to win the WW title.

Florian, Sanchez and Stevenson are severely underrated. For example, Stevenson easily finished a Prime Tibau and completely dominated Nate Diaz. Those two guys, out of their primes, would go on to respectively give Khabib his hardest fight and choke out McGregor.

Pulver was a good name and avenged loss but he was way past his best years.

Well it's a list of his top four MMA fighters ever i.e the best ever.

This is the tagline:

The UFC legend had some interesting selections, and omissions, in his list of top four MMA fighters ever.

Prime Gi Royce is a match for anybody.

Hah you reminded me of Silva's fanboying of Penn back in the days.

I still think Penn is an all time great his talent was through the roof.

So do GSP and Hughes. Penn's biggest rivals. Rampage does as well. BJ was a never before or since seen ninja.

I know i'll get shit on for saying this, but there is no way in hell that Big Nog deserves such a high ranking.
This goes for Royce Gracie too, with all due respect.

There are several currently active fighters in multiple UFC divisions that are significantly better than either of those guys.
Prime Big Nog ? Bruh better probably yeah but not significantly. As for Gracie yes but we all know why he's still a good pick . And I'll just put it out there prime Penn is Khabib level dominant . I just think all his past street fights plus his career caught up to him

Many, actually.
I agree though that Big Nog was otherworldly tough and durable.

Still i stand by my point that numerous active fighters are already significantly better.

Many? Dude most fighters can't fight three times a year. Someone just did an outstanding research thread about fighter activity.

Y’all buying Anderson’s troll list?!?

Big Nog at number 4 over Fedor, Stipe, DC…

<{outtahere}>

Folks definitely stood up and took notice when BJ came out and just blitzed Caol Uno - dude was an animal in the day. But no Jones, no Fedor and Khabib with how many title defences?? Whateves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back