The future of LHW and Heavyweight.

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
With all of the debacle stemming from Jon Jones' positive test, it really got me thinking about how the division will pan out. First thing to note is that the average age of a Top 10 Light Heavyweight is 34.1, and the only guy in his twenties is Krylov. Jones will probably be gone for 2+ years, DC is going to retire before that. Rumble says he wants to retire by 35 and he is 32. Glover is getting older. Gustafsson has an uncertain future. Bader is Bader and I doubt he can beat the other guys above him. Shogun is at the end. Rashad is at the end. Manuwa is getting older. Lil Nog is at the end. Krylov is young, but I don't know how he will do against the elite. Corey Anderson will never win a title. Latifi will never win a title, Pat Cummins is on the verge of being cut. The division is in deep trouble. I say if things keep going the way they are going, we should make merge it with Heavyweight, as that division is in a similar position.

You can look at Heavyweight and see the same thing.

Stipe is the champ and is a newer guy, so he breaks the pattern, but if you look at the rest of the division...

Werdum is 39, and has had a long career and damage.
Cain is 34, but has had the injuries of someone who is 44.
Reem is 36 and has a lot of milage despite looking great.
Junior is 32 and actually still has some longevity, but still had some serious wars.
Rothwell is 34, but has a shit load of mileage.
Andrei is is 37 with a shit ton of damage and milage
Travis Browne is 34 and could go either way, but he has not looked all that great as of late.
Hunt is 42 and probably is done with the UFC.
Barnett is 38 and hasn't looked great in the UFC.
Derrick Lewis is a good fighter, but reckless and not technically proficient on the ground.
Nelson is 40 and probably near the end.
Struve can't get over the hill to title contention
Bigfoot is done.
Ruslan and Ngannou are new guys with a lot of potential, however we need to see more of them.

Between these 2 divisions, there is hardly 30-40 elite level guys, and most of them are older. Most lighter divisions even have elite guys in the Top 20/30 of their respective divisions. Why are we okay with watered down, stagnant divisions? I guess its because they have always been there and people have a natural attraction to "THE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP OF THE WORLD" despite its shallowness. Most Light heavyweights weigh 220-240 anyways, they are really just ducking the bigger framed men. Many of the 205ers could be extremely competitive at Heavyweight.

What can we do to boost these divisions? I know that new blood will come, but very soon both divisions could be in serious trouble competitively.

Call me crazy, but I really do think we're going to see an influx of MW's going up to LHW to test the waters. I could totally see Sonnen, Silva, Machida, Bisping, and your typical gatekeepers like Dolloway(bless 'em but they couldn't win a fight at MW to save their lives) moving up if not anything just for super fights or career rejuvenations.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I really do think we're going to see an influx of MW's going up to LHW to test the waters. I could totally see Sonnen, Silva, Machida, Bisping, and your typical gatekeepers like Dolloway(bless 'em but they couldn't win a fight at MW to save their life's) moving up if not just for super fights or career rejuvenations.
This is exactly how I see it happening
Also Rockhold and Weidman are tailor-made for LHW they're both humongous for 185 and it's going to be harder to make that cut now that they're approaching their mid 30s

Also, OSP has a legit chance at being a top 5 HW.

It's going to be crazy to see who takes over at middleweight when the goat finally retires.

You can only be undefeated for so long until your body decides to break down. The wear and tear of so many wars has to happen at some point. Right?

Then again, you just never know. He might just pull a Bernard Hopkins and dominate until he is 50.

All I know, is that when CM Punk finally decides to hang up the gloves, you are all going to miss him!

It's going to be crazy to see who takes over at middleweight when the goat finally retires.

You can only be undefeated for so long until your body decides to break down. The wear and tear of so many wars has to happen at some point. Right?

Then again, you just never know. He might just pull a Bernard Hopkins and dominate until he is 50.

All I know, is that when CM Punk finally decides to hang up the gloves, you are all going to miss him!
The gloves he's going to wear once only to get sodomized by Mickey Gall under a minute
Yeah I'll miss him

The gloves he's going to wear once only to get sodomized by Mickey Gall under a minute
Yeah I'll miss him

Ha! You think a noob like Gall can beat Punk! Lmfao! That's hilarious!

Punk is undefeated at 38 years old and has beat the best of the best! What about that do you not understand?

Some people....

Ha! You think a noob like Gall can beat Punk! Lmfao! That's hilarious!

Punk is undefeated at 38 years old and has beat the best of the best! What about that do you not understand?

Some people....
giphy.gif

I see what you did there

I can tell you right off the bat that he won't be missed by me or by the vast majority of MMA fans.

He's a freak show at best and shold be matched up with Bob Sapp, Minowa, Sentoryu, Giant Silva etc for the freak show effect. Every card needs a fight like this to break the routine of serious MMA (Minowa exlcuded).

I can tell you right off the bat that he won't be missed by me or by the vast majority of MMA fans.

He's a freak show at best and shold be matched up with Bob Sapp, Minowa, Sentoryu, Giant Silva etc for the freak show effect. Every card needs a fight like this to break the routine of serious MMA (Minowa exlcuded).

I'm confused. The guy is 38 years old and has NEVER lost! See that big zero he has in the loss column? That means nobody has ever beat him!

How can you say a guy that great, for so long will not be missed?

Does boxing miss Muhammad Ali? Does basketball miss Michael Jordan? Does Baseball miss Willie Mays?

Yes....and MMA will miss the GOAT (undisputed) CM Punk!

Call me crazy, but I really do think we're going to see an influx of MW's going up to LHW to test the waters. I could totally see Sonnen, Silva, Machida, Bisping, and your typical gatekeepers like Dolloway(bless 'em but they couldn't win a fight at MW to save their lives) moving up if not anything just for super fights or career rejuvenations.
You could see a bunch of guys that have already competed at 205 fight at 205? Shocking

I'm confused. The guy is 38 years old and has NEVER lost! See that big zero he has in the loss column? That means nobody has ever beat him!

How can you say a guy that great, for so long will not be missed?

Does boxing miss Muhammad Ali? Does basketball miss Michael Jordan? Does Baseball miss Willie Mays?

Yes....and MMA will miss the GOAT (undisputed) CM Punk!
You don't have to make your trolling so obvious. You gon' get ya ass banned, boi.

You don't have to make your trolling so obvious. You gon' get ya ass banned, boi.
In his defense, I think he started this trolling around UFC 123(give or take a few events) when Punk was originally supposed to make his debut. It was never meant to go on this long.

You're going to see several good young prospects blast through these old fucks by 2017.

Many of them are in the UFC already- we just haven't noticed them yet.

Unfortunately I don't think we're going to see another fighter as talented and promising as Jones was.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: had so much potential but he flushed it down the drain because he's a borderline psychopathic piece of shit.

new stars will rise. They always do. A lot of people dont give them creds because stuck in the past nostalgia etc but someone like stipe is a fucking beast.

In his defense, I think he started this trolling around UFC 123(give or take a few events) when Punk was originally supposed to make his debut. It was never meant to go on this long.

Lol I just barely started posting here around ufc 200. I signed up over 10 years ago but just recently started consistently posting.

And I highly doubt a sense of humor will get me banned. It's all done in fun and I'm not mean about it.

Plus I post seriously on most topics. :)

Lol I just barely started posting here around ufc 200. I signed up over 10 years ago but just recently started consistently posting.

And I highly doubt a sense of humor will get me banned. It's all done in fun and I'm not mean about it.

Plus I post seriously on most topics. :)
I feel as tho I've been seeing that AV making "undefeated" posts for quite a while now. Maybe there's 2 of you. Or maybe I drink too much. :D

new stars will rise. They always do. A lot of people dont give them creds because stuck in the past nostalgia etc but someone like stipe is a fucking beast.
light heavy has seen a rough time raising these new stars. Sad to see MMA's premier division in such disarray.

Back