The Future GOAT

You're thinking of Rester's Thread http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/documented-top-ten-wins-mma-fighters-pride-ufc-2166169/

And yes you are right about it going

GSP
Anderson

Fedor

Everyone else

Nice. And I was axctually thinking of Resters orginal thread on his 'Rester-Bornios' (sp) account from even further back. Had no idea he re-upped and re-made the thread, very cool.

I'm assuming Rester= Rester Bornios btw lol

If it isn't already, I think that thread should be stickied in all honesty.

Win the hw, defend it several times, and do so in the absence of controversy(juicing, relying on dirty tactics to win, etc). Go back and look at the staredown pics of Jones and most of his opponents. He dwarfs them. And arguably the one elite opponent he didn't dwarf, the fight was close enough to be called either way. And if guys the size fo Fedor, Cain, Cro Cop can dominate at hw, there's no reason Jones can't if he is indeed the GOAT.

I don't agree with this, not for any great fighter in any weight class. You shouldn't have to move up or down to prove your greatness. All they should have to do to prove it is keep winning at whatever weightclass they fight in.

Not a whole. DC showed he could hit Jon Jones but he didnt commit to really knocking him out. He wasnt looking to win and you can tell by the way he fought. He could do it. The fact of the matter is Jon Jones hasnt fought or beaten any young guys that really want to win.

I believed DC would win, because I thought he was going to be able to control Jon against the fence physically using his wrestling and grappling technique and work on the inside. But Jon turned the tables and did that to DC. The Bold is pretty outrageous considering the Pace that DC set and his willingness to walk through punches to maintain that pace. He absolutely wanted to win, he just could not maintain control of the fight, and that was due to Jon. And again, and mention of Aldo in this discussion. Isn't he pretty good as well?

I believed DC would win, because I thought he was going to be able to control Jon against the fence physically using his wrestling and grappling technique and work on the inside. But Jon turned the tables and did that to DC. The Bold is pretty outrageous considering the Pace that DC set and his willingness to walk through punches to maintain that pace. He absolutely wanted to win, he just could not maintain control of the fight, and that was due to Jon. And again, and mention of Aldo in this discussion. Isn't he pretty good as well?

Jon didn't turn the tables. It takes two to fight and I thought DC would commit to the fight more also!! It looked more like he flopped and didn't want to hurt Jon Jones or get hurt himself. He flopped!!

I don't agree with this, not for any great fighter in any weight class. You shouldn't have to move up or down to prove your greatness. All they should have to do to prove it is keep winning at whatever weightclass they fight in.

I dont agree with anything you say!... It's all a bunch of crooked weird shit that makes zero sense.

I dont agree with anything you say... It's all a bunch of crooked weird shit that makes no sense.

You're going to need a bigger boat

giphy.gif

Win the hw, defend it several times, and do so in the absence of controversy(juicing, relying on dirty tactics to win, etc). Go back and look at the staredown pics of Jones and most of his opponents. He dwarfs them. And arguably the one elite opponent he didn't dwarf, the fight was close enough to be called either way. And if guys the size fo Fedor, Cain, Cro Cop can dominate at hw, there's no reason Jones can't if he is indeed the GOAT.

I'm not against guys moving up. But I don't think it is a prerequisite for being consider the GOAT. Although I get the size issue, Jon is not the first fighter to be big for his weight class. I still for the life of me don't understand how Rumble made WW and he was not even half as successful as john has been. And as consider that Stephan Bonner is very similar in physically size to john, ( 4 inch less reach), and he has not had that kind of success. I think size although, a factor, is insignificant in comparison to the mans technical skill a an MMA artist. Oh, and Daniel Comier was suppose to be able to cope with being the smaller man, given that he had controlled bigger men at HW, and when it came down to the actually fight the tables were turned.

The common thread is the way they were viewed and are currently viwed looking back (we are granted this hindsite in the conversation to be able to look back, which is nice) and what they had accomplished up until the moments when the respective fighters we're talking about came along and toppled them.

Fedor, if I am not mistaken, was considered above both those guys when they fought -Nog I'm fuzzy on at that point so, I'll leave that to you guys.

Hughes and Penn no question were already considered the best and were on runs supporting that claim when GSP came along and scored victories over them -Fedor was above both Cro-Cop and Nog in the minds of many at the points they met up (again, I might be missing a ranking here with Nog, so I'll allow for that)

I know its a small discrepancy in a way, so this all comes full circle and back to it being subjective and I'll leave it at this: to me (just my opinion of course) GSP's victories over Penn and Hughes in accordance to when they occurred, are more impressive to me than Fedors victories over Nog and Cro-Cop. I know this won't be popular, but thats fine, thats why we all have our own opinions that allow us to have these types of discussions.

In the fight against Cro Cop I would say it was 50/50, some hade Fedor as no1 and some had Cro Cop. In the first Nog fight however, Fedor was relatively unknown, and Nog was considered the best in the world.. Everyone thought Nog would submit this new russian guy. Nog was clearly the favourite (talking about their first fight)

Back