The Future GOAT

Breaducce

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So I watched a podcast video recently wherein Brendan Schaub basically concluded that Jon Jones has already become the greatest MMA fighter of all time, with his recent win over DC. The evidence he used to defend his claim was mainly that Jon beat a fighter who holds his own in training with the HW champion and that with one more win Jon will have cleaned out his entire division at the age of 27. In my opinion, you may disagree with Brendan's conclusion, but his evidence is solid, and Goat status is undeniably in Jon Jones grasp, if not now than in the not to distant future.

Now all this Jones talk, got me thinking about Jose Aldo. He is one year older than Jones and has had many similar accomplishments and with one more win (Conor) he will have cleaned out his division as well.

So I have two questions. Given their current accomplishments to date who do you believe has the superior resume now, and secondly, if you were a betting man who do you think will end their career with the superior legacy as the greatest MMA fighter of all time, Jose or Jon Jones.

Last edited:
Objectively I think Jones is the goat. Maybe GSP is the next best, Fedor has an aura but aura's and nostalgia arent enough to be goat

Fedor - the future, past and present GOAT. Like "of all time".

I believe Jones will have the better career when all is said and done, Jones has dispatched 4 former ufc champions (Rampage, Machida, Evans, Shogun) Finishing 3 of those 4.

He gave DC his first loss, Broke Glovers 20 fight win streak, Finished Chael in a round....

It's a tough Order to match, With all due respect to Jose Aldo of course who is obviously no slouch, it's hard to beat former champs when you're the first and only champ that's ever existed so it might be an unfair comparison.

Weidman and Aldo Can catch Jones, I don't think anyone else really can at this point

Schaub is just being humble. He's obviously the GOAT.

He's definitely got a case for GOAT status. I'd say he's almost there, but it's hard to say what he'll have to do to surpass Fedor and Anderson.

I disagree. If Jones went undefeated for 10 years at heavyweight he'd be the goat.

Objectively I think Jones is the goat. Maybe GSP is the next best, Fedor has an aura but aura's and nostalgia arent enough to be goat

Well that's it, RepairManManMan named Jones the GOAT, obviously that's gotta be wrong and we should all re-evaluate our opinions.

Seriously though, right now Georges or Fedor or Andy or Jones are all acceptable candidates. I've been backing Georges since day one but of the two active fighters on the list Jones is only going to continue racking up the body count and piling skulls on his mantle. Anderson's in the "fuck it" phase of his career and owns probably the most embarrassing KO loss of any UFC champion's career.

Jones is going to tie Georges for most defenses next fight. Let that sink in. He probably clinches GOAT status imo with that win. His strength of schedule is that ridiculous. Tying Anderson with zero losses trumps that. Fedor, imo he's already surpassed him and whoever isn't convinced of that by now never will be.

Then there's the folks that have already concluded Jones is a steroid cheat. If that's the case, his career is meaningless to me and I'd revert back to Georges.

This messianic-obsessed mentality makes MMA less credible.

You guys announce different "GOATS" every two years or so, it got old already. Just stop.

Well that's it, RepairManManMan named Jones the GOAT, obviously that's gotta be wrong and we should all re-evaluate our opinions.

Seriously though, right now Georges or Fedor or Andy or Jones are all acceptable candidates. I've been backing Georges since day one but of the two active fighters on the list Jones is only going to continue racking up the body count and piling skulls on his mantle. Anderson's in the "fuck it" phase of his career and owns probably the most embarrassing KO loss of any UFC champion's career.

Jones is going to tie Georges for most defenses next fight. Let that sink in. He probably clinches GOAT status imo with that win. His strength of schedule is that ridiculous. Tying Anderson with zero losses trumps that. Fedor, imo he's already surpassed him and whoever isn't convinced of that by now never will be.

Then there's the folks that have already concluded Jones is a steroid cheat. If that's the case, his career is meaningless to me and I'd revert back to Georges.

What about Jose ? He has one less UFC title defense, and one more Overall title defense if you count his WEC run, and is one year older. And lets not forget, although Jon took out a natural HW in DC, Jose took out a former LW Champion in Frankie Edgar.

Last edited:
No such thing as goats. Somebody better always comes along.

It depends on how his downfall goes! As of now he's only fought and really beat smaller and older people. He needs to be tested by someone that wants to fight! DC never wanted to fight Jon Jones!!! You can tell he was always timid and scared. By the way he fought it looked like he didnt want to knock Jon Jones out! He looked like he was ready to lose entertainingly.

This messianic-obsessed mentality makes MMA less credible.

You guys announce different "GOATS" every two years or so, it got old already. Just stop.

Messianic is what many people are doing with Conor M. What these two fighters have done at such a young age is nothing short of legendary. So considering their fighting accomplishments it is more than reasonable to discuss either of them as the potential Goat when their careers are all said in done.

It depends on how his downfall goes! As of now he's only fought and really beat smaller and older people. He needs to be tested by someone that wants to fight! DC never wanted to fight Jon Jones!!! You can tell he was always timid and scared. By the way he fought it looked like he didnt want to knock Jon Jones out! He looked like he was ready to lose entertainingly.

But how much to you attribute DC "not wanting to fight" to Jones talent as a fighter. The best fighters are able to make you look much less than yourself.

All subjective. Just choose who you think is the best and for me that is Fedor.

Back