The funniest part of the Montreal Screwjob imo

Both had Bret.

Both involved a golden boy who had VKM swinging on their nutsack....

To Hogan's credit he was a Superstar, scumbag or not, he made money....

Shawn was Vince's boy toy.

I was always under the notion the ending of WrestleMania 9 was quite worse than any Bret/Shawn match including their SS matches
At least bret got his moment at 10. He had that ATG match with owen, put him over, then won the belt. That PPV ending is great with all the faces celebrating. Then owen comes out staring him down

Miss that kind of serious storytelling. WM 10 is probably a top 5 WM also.

Was a work

Although I think Vince took advantage of Bret’s ego to get everything he wanted out of it and Bret came off looking worse in the long run.

Was a work

Although I think Vince took advantage of Bret’s ego to get everything he wanted out of it and Bret came off looking worse in the long run.

Agree with this. Everybody came out ahead

Definitely wasn't a work. Bret laid hands to Vince. NO CHANCE IN HELL does Vince McMahon let anyone undress him in front of all the boys and management.

Everything worked out in the end for the WWF though - but I still think Vince made the wrong decision. He would have had a better return long term keeping Bret. But he had Steve Austin and none of that matters.

Definitely wasn't a work. Bret laid hands to Vince. NO CHANCE IN HELL does Vince McMahon let anyone undress him in front of all the boys and management.

Everything worked out in the end for the WWF though - but I still think Vince made the wrong decision. He would have had a better return long term keeping Bret. But he had Steve Austin and none of that matters.

bret hated the attitude era

how you gonna move forward being controversial and bold

when your world champion is some white meat babyface that doesn’t like edgy storylines and just wants to go over everyone

obviously wasn’t working in ‘96/97 vs WCW

gotta trim the fat babay

I just can't see Bret being useful in the Attitude Era. And I seriously mean that

bret hated the attitude era

how you gonna move forward being controversial and bold

when your world champion is some white meat babyface that doesn’t like edgy storylines and just wants to go over everyone

obviously wasn’t working in ‘96/97 vs WCW

gotta trim the fat babay

I don't know - the amount of people who worked themselves into a shoot hating cry baby Bret tells me he was a better worker than those marks took him for.

tumblr_oms8c1cbId1r072z5o1_400.gifv

I just can't see Bret being useful in the Attitude Era. And I seriously mean that

Hard to say. I think in retrospect - what has kept Bret's legacy alive so well is what he could do in the squared ring. At different points - he put on classics and they bypass whatever shit era they were in. You can pull them out of the past and rewatch them and they still work. Bret has something akin to a classic boxer career - where you can just go back and watch his stuff on ESPN classics and it just sits right - regardless of the era.

So he may have gotten lost in the segment rich era of the Attitude years - but he probably would have put out all time classics with Stone Cold, The Rock, American Bad Ass Taker, Kurt Angle. And we'd remember the matches way more than the bad segments he would have been a part of.

wrong man was let go

imagine mania 14 with austin vs bret the rematch. bonkers.

HBK had to be forced to do the job, and even then he wasn't all that healthy because his back was fucked up. he coulda trotted his ass into retirement like he ended up doing anyways, and let the real main event play out.
Man I would love to see an alternate history where Bret stays and hands the torch to Austin and HBK goes and feuds with nWo (and eventually joins of course)

Man I would love to see an alternate history where Bret stays and hands the torch to Austin and HBK goes and feuds with nWo (and eventually joins of course)

Yeah could totally see HBK pulling a hissy fit having to pay back Bret, and jumping ship to be with Nash and Hall...

By consequence of that scenario, I don't think HHH makes it as high as he did.

Well Shawn Michaels had done that twice already, once with the IC title and once with the World strap, so I dont think its so out of line for Bret to suggest it
But shawn didnt do it in the midst of a heated ratings war and jump to the other side. It was also the world title, not the IC. If bret had deopped the belt that way it would have buried the wwf.

But shawn didnt do it in the midst of a heated ratings war and jump to the other side. It was also the world title, not the IC. If bret had deopped the belt that way it would have buried the wwf.

It wouldnt have buried shit, the promotion wouldve carried on just the same
You people are so overdramatic sometimes

Yeah could totally see HBK pulling a hissy fit having to pay back Bret, and jumping ship to be with Nash and Hall...

By consequence of that scenario, I don't think HHH makes it as high as he did.
Maybe eventually H does, really he didn't get past the midcard until Stephanie.

It's funny because this probably wasn't too far from happening. Dont remember all the details but from everything I've read and heard it seemed like Bret was Vinces guy and then all of the sudden Vince had a change of heart and decided Shawn was his guy (despite guys like Cornette telling him to stick with Bret). I think Brets style certainly fits the wrassling of WCW better than Shawn's but man it could have been fun to watch.

It wouldnt have buried shit, the promotion wouldve carried on just the same
You people are so overdramatic sometimes
Totally disagree. It wouldnt have buried wwf to have thier champ just turn in the belt and jump to the competition without gwtting beat. Gimme a fuckin break lol

And yes wwf woukd have still come on top because it wouodnt have changed thebwar much, but it still would bury wwf. I think our definitions of bury are dofferent. You might take it as ending business but im.using it more like in wrestling terms. To bury means to disrespect.

hrm. Don't recall Shawn signing to go to another company before he did so, so I suppose it is different

although Shawn's was also shitty
Yeah, it’s not like burying the main event of Mania, a couple of weeks before it happens, just to avoid doing a job, could hurt the company at all.

He would work great as the heel “old man” trying to stand against the degeneracy of the new generation. Hell, he was already getting that gimmick over against HBK.

Yeah, he could've even dropped the Pro-Canada stuff and still got over as an elitist pro-wrestling snob heel with.

....and all he would've had to do was act naturally.

Back