The Frode post good kung fu thread.

hi all... i train and teach and shaolin temple uk, shi yanzi and shi yanlei are blood brothers, there life journey makes is something to tell. in addition i also do jits, wrestling boxing etc... so my games pretty tight (but thats another story)

They both grew up fighting.. Real fighting, they both frown and dislike flowery fluffy practitioners of chinese martial arts... they both came over to the west to show that there way of training still can be effective. shi yanlei does love muay thai and has taken some concepts from there.. i mean he did go over there some years back and train there, so his style does reflect that. Shi Yanzi on the other hand is a pureist. he not only uses chinese concepts, because he grew up in the shaolin temple china, he decodes forms and applies the techniques in a modern setting.

The 2 forms we practice arent wu shu based, his ideas are similar to bruce lee's - its about improving leg strength balance flexability speed co oridination so we can translate those foundational skills into fighting.. one principle his big on is 1 kick or punch should win a fight, if your weapon doesnt - continue training it until it does!

oh and you know whos fake from whos real... if they havent fought in the ring or have recorded street fights, - there fake... shi yanzi always says u gotta prove what you know

i think if u teach fighting concepts you gotta know how to fight.

Last edited:
hi all... i train and teach and shaolin temple uk, shi yanzi and shi yanlei are blood brothers, there life journey makes is something to tell. in addition i also do jits, wrestling boxing etc... so my games pretty tight (but thats another story)

They both grew up fighting.. Real fighting, they both frown and dislike flowery fluffy practitioners of chinese martial arts... they both came over to the west to show that there way of training still can be effective. shi yanlei does love muay thai and has taken some concepts from there.. i mean he did go over there some years back and train there, so his style does reflect that. Shi Yanzi on the other hand is a pureist. he not only uses chinese concepts, because he grew up in the shaolin temple china, he decodes forms and applies the techniques in a modern setting.

The 2 forms we practice arent wu shu based, his ideas are similar to bruce lee's - its about improving leg strength balance flexability speed co oridination so we can translate those foundational skills into fighting.. one principle his big on is 1 kick or punch should win a fight, if your weapon doesnt - continue training it until it does!

oh and you know whos fake from whos real... if they havent fought in the ring or have recorded street fights, - there fake... shi yanzi always says u gotta prove what you know

i think if u teach fighting concepts you gotta know how to fight.

Thank you for sharing! I started Shifu Yan Xin's courses and found they were a big help to me. I actually got introduced to it via Yan Lei's videos found Yan Xing when I was looking for more to learn from. I found I'd plateud in my kicking power from Muay Thai - but their ideas very much helped me.

Shifu Yanzi I know the least about - but for the most part like his ideas!

I just think WC needs to be made to work.

In early UFC, ppl struggled to get TKD/Karate to work. Then you saw ppl like Machida, Pettis etc making it work.

I think the same with WC, stop trying to use it as the base long range art (boxing is better), instead, use it as a sprinkling ontop to give you the edge. Trapping whilst in wrestling range etc. T-Ferg seems to have made it quite effective.

In early UFC, ppl struggled to get TKD/Karate to work. Then you saw ppl like Machida, Pettis etc making it work.

I think the same with WC, stop trying to use it as the base long range art (boxing is better), instead, use it as a sprinkling ontop to give you the edge. Trapping whilst in wrestling range etc. T-Ferg seems to have made it quite effective.

I didnt know machida or Pettis even knew wingchun let alone used it in amy of their fights. Could you show any video clips which showed them using it in one of their fights?

I didnt know machida or Pettis even knew wingchun let alone used it in amy of their fights. Could you show any video clips which showed them using it in one of their fights?
Are you unable to read? I clearly said Pettis Machida did TKD/Karate.

Tony Ferguson isn't really doing anything that isn't just Muay Thai though. Those hand traps into elbows, when all that fluff is removed from Wing Chun you just get the same traps into elbows most good muay thai peeps know.
I don't think WC will ever LOOK like wing chun and be successful in MMA, because its visual identity is so based around those long chi sau chains - the obviously the principles are fine

Tony Ferguson isn't really doing anything that isn't just Muay Thai though. Those hand traps into elbows, when all that fluff is removed from Wing Chun you just get the same traps into elbows most good muay thai peeps know.
I don't think WC will ever LOOK like wing chun and be successful in MMA, because its visual identity is so based around those long chi sau chains - the obviously the principles are fine
I think he is inspired by WC though, as you see him training wooden dummy quite a lot. I suppose MT has MOST elements in, but you can refine specifics by studying specific arts, like TKD, WC, Judo...

I think he is inspired by WC though, as you see him training wooden dummy quite a lot. I suppose MT has MOST elements in, but you can refine specifics by studying specific arts, like TKD, WC, Judo...
I think so yeah, because he uses a wing chun dummy in some training videos

The hand trapping principle of wing chun works well in grappling, we do them but call it by any other name..

also traditional martials has such a bad name that maybe many fighters that study it just never talk about it.

i think A martial artist's journey will eventually lead everywhere for tools that work for them.

lastly - shi yanzi (older brother of shi yanlei) is a traditionalist and a realist, his doing what most people dont do, revising old fighting techniques for practical uses.. thats of course outside of a normal boxers punch or kickboxers kick. as we all know every fighter must have these basic weapons. his searching for a secret weapon, his quite fasinating and motivational to listen to actually.

personally i think its about time a real fighting mind is studying chinese martial arts again...

(thinking.. maybe there are ppl evolving traditional martial arts.. but maybe ppl just dont declare it as a life long journey.. maybe)

The hand trapping principle of wing chun works well in grappling, we do them but call it by any other name..

also traditional martials has such a bad name that maybe many fighters that study it just never talk about it.

i think A martial artist's journey will eventually lead everywhere for tools that work for them.

lastly - shi yanzi (older brother of shi yanlei) is a traditionalist and a realist, his doing what most people dont do, revising old fighting techniques for practical uses.. thats of course outside of a normal boxers punch or kickboxers kick. as we all know every fighter must have these basic weapons. his searching for a secret weapon, his quite fasinating and motivational to listen to actually.

personally i think its about time a real fighting mind is studying chinese martial arts again...

(thinking.. maybe there are ppl evolving traditional martial arts.. but maybe ppl just dont declare it as a life long journey.. maybe)

I think the trouble is that a lot of traditional martial arts are more a museum now than they are a living breathing art. We don't see people try to innovate them or make them work for modern combat sports or self defence generally.

I like that London Shaolin seeks to make them practical while keeping the tradition

There is a lot of depth and richness in Chinese martial arts that would help any mma fighter or even boxer to improve the subtleties and get the extra 10 per cent of improvement.

Xinyiba, one of the old shaolin styles has got some good shit too. Checking kicks and even includes the proper defence of gripping the back of your head, as Samson Isaan would teach it. Check the kick throw a kick back from the same side. It's all stuff you'll learn in Muay Thai.

Some info on Shaolin:

What you learn as 'shaolin kung fu' based on the temple in Henan province, is a new modern style based more on modern wushu, than the traditional shaolin martial arts like Xinyiba, Incense Shop Boxing, etc. It's focussed more on performance and athleticism, which makes sense, but the forms don't have as direct an application to sanda as styles like Xinyiba.

people try and mix WC in with the wrong part of the equation. It has no place with the stand up arts, instead it should be used in conjunction with jiu jitsu for more effective ground and pound.

Some good stuff in here. Listen to his answer about trapping. 2nd question.

https://www.listennotes.com/embedded/e/0aa5def7e4f7413ba2627a0eaed8ab07/

A good podcast interview with Sifu Shi Heng Yi. Head instructor at the shaolin temple europe.

He talks about daily training at the temple, how he feels that kung fu is a instrument to both test and reach your limits.

I also liked his view on shaolin monks from his temple training other styles as well. Because learning new things is a healthy thing. He say that monks train brazilian JJ, Wing Chun, and even MMA.

<mma4>

Back