The Fountain. Is it worth a watch?

KAZSoliloquy

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
MV5BMTU5OTczMTcxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDg3MTEzMw@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

I'm a huge fan of Aronofsky and this is the only film of his that I haven't seen. Will I be disappointed? I've read very mixed critical reviews about it and I don't wanna ruin my love for him (yes homo)

Yes, I would give it a shot. imo, its his most experimental work (besides pi maybe).

So you might not end up liking the story. But you also might end up loving it.
Either way, it has gorgeous pictures and some of the images in the movie are just amazing. So its worth watching anyway.
fountain.jpg

YES YES YES

This movie was fucking awesome. I watched it on a whim while looking up sci fi movies on IMDB. I'm sooo glad I did. It's one of those films where either you love it or you hate it imo.

I thought it was so good, I watched it twice in one sitting and I'm a pretty harsh critic on the arts. If you like movies that make you think deeply and outside of the box this was great. There are so many feels.... you'll see.

Just from the description it looks like it's worth a look:

Three stories - one each from the past, present, and future - about men in pursuit of eternity with their love. A conquistador in Mayan country searches for the tree of life to free his captive queen; a medical researcher, working with various trees, looks for a cure that will save his dying wife; a space traveler, traveling with an aged tree encapsulated within a bubble, moves toward a dying star that's wrapped in a nebula; he seeks eternity with his love. The stories intersect and parallel; the quests fail and succeed.

you are not an Aronofsky fan if you haven't seen The Fountain, and even then it depends on what you think of it.

I love it.It's an incredible story about our(humanity) self awareness of death,of the things we have to lose in this cycle of life, and our desperate search for immortality over the ages (religion in the middles ages,science now and something else in the future).

It's also a very beautiful though sad love story.

It's one of the best films i have seen about the double edged sword of consciousness,we can experience beautiful things through it but we also know we're certain to lose them.

Now I want to watch it again... too bad I won't have any weed till after Christmas. I'll save it for then.

I'm watching it now and everything about it is good except for the acting. Classic Aronofsky direction/score/visual tricks. The only thing missing is a competent cast. I'm about a half hour in.

I didn't like it I thought Jackman and Wiesz were really dry in it

MV5BMTU5OTczMTcxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDg3MTEzMw@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

I'm a huge fan of Aronofsky and this is the only film of his that I haven't seen. Will I be disappointed? I've read very mixed critical reviews about it and I don't wanna ruin my love for him (yes homo)
I followed it closely before the release, saw it in the theater and gave it a 5.5 out of 10. Aronofsky's ambition is always unlimited, but his talent is not. The real purpose of the film was to try to make people think he was a genius, not to actually interest or entertain them, and it didn't succeed. He was more concerned with trying to make a brilliant statement on a giant theme, without figuring out how to do so as part of a coherent and stimulating plot, and ended up with a disjointed and pretentious film. As I remember, at Comic-Con he showed some early footage of the movie, no one got it, and on the way out of the theater someone else who was in the very small group of people who was in the theater with me said "that was too deep."

It grossed an incredibly tiny amount of money, as I predicted pretty early, but if you want to see it, go ahead. Just don't expect much at all.

I didn't like it I thought Jackman and Wiesz were really dry in it

That's exactly how I feel about it. Just weak performances from the actors is all.

I followed it closely before the release, saw it in the theater and gave it a 5.5 out of 10. Aronofsky's ambition is always unlimited, but his talent is not. The real purpose of the film was to try to make people think he was a genius, not to actually interest or entertain them, and it didn't succeed. He was more concerned with trying to make a brilliant statement on a giant theme, without figuring out how to do so as part of a coherent and stimulating plot, and ended up with a disjointed and pretentious film. As I remember, at Comic-Con he showed some early footage of the movie, no one got it, and on the way out of the theater someone else who was in the very small group of people who was in the theater with me said "that was too deep."

It grossed an incredibly tiny amount of money, as I predicted pretty early, but if you want to see it, go ahead. Just don't expect much at all.

Aronofsky's talent is beyond the norm of directors. The man's ideas are unfathomable. It sounds very pretentious but he's truly that good. And this movie is a bit weak but that's not Darren's fault at all unless he chose Hugh and Rachel to star in it. Absolutely wonderful idea for a movie and had he been gifted with some better actors (which would probably require better funding), this film could have been great. I'm a bit disappointed to be honest.

Oh well, at least you gave it a shot. I know that he did indeed choose Hugh Jackman personally. Don't forget that Tom is severely depressed, his character is purposely flat.

Saw this film a few days ago on youtube .I thought the acting was perfectly fine and loved the way the film was left open to numerous intepretations.

Originally they wanted to cast Brad Pitt in Jackmans part.:icon_lol: Seriously loling at the notion of him playing a Conquistador.

Oh well, at least you gave it a shot. I know that he did indeed choose Hugh Jackman personally. Don't forget that Tom is severely depressed, his character is purposely flat.

too flat

The Fountain is one if those stupid and lazy "open to interpretation" films. It makes zero sense and attracts a pretentious crowd who think they get it, yet each person sees it differently. It looks cool sometimes, but it's just a series of jump cuts intermittent with random actions and scenes that pretend to mean more then they do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back