The flyweight division will be abolished even if Cejudo wins

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Not A Real Fan, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Not A Real Fan

Not A Real Fan Purple Belt

Cejudo and TJ will rematch at BW for TJ's title. He'll enter the fight as the flyweight champ to give him the chance to become a champ champ. But win or lose, the flyweight division is gone right afterward.

After beating TJ, I doubt Cejudo will go back to defending against no-name flyweights.

A.S. Deep and YOLOGOGOPLATA like this.
  2. ferrisjso

ferrisjso Brown Belt

I hope very very badly you're wrong.

Best division in UFC history gets disbanded. That being said the FLW divison is pretty top heavy and there's lots of quality guys overseas. Benavidez hasn't lost in like years and years now since MM, and his first fight with Cjuedo was a split decision after the Dillashaw fight that is still a huge fight to make. Silva's also on a winning streak and he's basically the only top guy at FLW who's left who never got a shot at MM. So there's lots to do in that division once this is over and by the time they get through that there probably will be even more. Bring in Horiguchi and Bagunitov who are both dominating overseas and this division is STACKED!

3. Ikuza

Ikuza Brown Belt

It's true, but you could have posted at least one source or rumor.

4. LockardTheGOAT

LockardTheGOAT Sherdog's Intellectual Savior

I have a feeling that if Cejudo wins, it'll convince Dana to keep the Flyweight division intact. I mean, you'd have a guy that ended Mighty Mouse's streak AND warded off the Bantamweight Champion from above, even HE might consider it short sighted to just pull the plug on the whole thing and strip Henry of his belt.

5. AndyHugMercury

AndyHugMercury Orange Belt

Benavidez lost to Pettis just recently

6. Freja MMA

Freja MMA White Belt

It does seem that the UFC wants to remove this division. I am wondering if one will take its place?

7. mbffm

mbffm White Belt

8. aus101

aus101 Black Belt

I don’t get the hate, why shouldn’t guys who walk around at a lean 145 pounds (65 kilos) get to cut 20 pounds and fight at 125? Without FW if you are a male and sub 155 ripped you are undersized for every division.

If we are going to allow average sized guys (150-165 pounds lean) fight why not allow slightly smaller guys too?

peterparker66 likes this.
  9. Typrune Goatley

Typrune Goatley Black Belt

There actually are some flyweight fights at the next two cards after TJ/Cejudo but I don't see any more scheduled beyond that