The first UFC event’s production

Arzachel

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
UFC’s Youtube channel has been uploading many old events and short documentaries, which were previously exclusively available on Fight Pass and i’m loving it.
A great way to broaden the fanbase too. Smart thinking on their part.

I have Fight Pass and became a UFC fan around 2007 and have watched bits and pieces of old events some years back, but watching it now i am perplexed at how good the production and especially the commentary team was back then, especially considering it’s the first event in uncharted waters.

I especially like kickboxing champion Kathy Long her commentary, but the whole crew and the overall set up is great for it’s time.

Maybe it’s the nostalgia kicking in and my fellow Dutch countryman Gerard Gordeau winning the very first fight obviously adds to my enjoyment aswell.

Last edited:
Yeah the commentary was good besides every time they spoke over each other, which seemed like a lot.

I have 1-10 of the old UFC’s in a couple box sets. Shit is hilarious to watch every now and then, the commentary while the fighters were on the ground when no one knew what the fuck was going on was epic lol.

I have 1-10 of the old UFC’s in a couple box sets. Shit is hilarious to watch every now and then, the commentary while the fighters were on the ground when no one knew what the fuck was going on was epic lol.
It's like a first row view to the refinement of violence. Every bout showed something to be true, and something to be complete bullshit.

Here we are nearly 30 years later and it's still giving us gold

Most Sherdoggers haven't seen the UFC1 video production because we were all there live in attendance.

Fair enough, but totally understandable. But yeah, some of it is hilarious indeed.

Is it the entire UFC event or the trimmed DVD footage? I remember borrowing some of these old UFC DVDs and they had so much talking head time and didn't show some super quick finish matches.

Most Sherdoggers haven't seen the UFC1 video production because we were all there live in attendance.

This is so true. I have seen so many white belts or new posters claiming they have seen the first event at that time already (either live or on VHS), while some of course may have.

Is it the entire UFC event or the trimmed DVD footage? I remember borrowing some of these old UFC DVDs and they had so much talking head time and didn't show some super quick finish matches.

Not sure. I used to download the Pride DVD’s (my apologies, Pride), but never any UFC DVD’s. Just events at that time (before Fight Pass).

Dudes are tapping 15 times and no one is paying attention. Ref doesnt stop the fights. Hilarious shit.

Dudes are tapping 15 times and no one is paying attention. Ref doesnt stop the fights. Hilarious shit.
They were all (fighters, refs, promoters, commentators and fans) learning and inventing on the fly. Pretty fucking awesome in its inherent ineptitude early on.

Back