The fights in the UFC that caused the most controversy?

Break Brick

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
In my mind it has to be Diaz vs Condit. I've never seen a fight that caused such a great deal of rehashing of similar arguments (from both sides) for so long. It's a discussion that seems to bring out the worst in posters so it got me wondering, if anyone knows of another fight that had a similar response from the fans.

Not so much controversial judges decisions I'm interested in, more so controversy caused by strategy or possibly incident.

What do you think Sherdog? Diaz vs Condit the worst in this respect? Or do you know of worse?

Last edited:
The first Frankie vs BJ fight was pretty bad in here.

Shogun /Machida I - first blatant robbery I'd ever seen. So much so that it we he first instant rematch Dana gave.

Weidman vs Munoz

Look at how many people/threads are saying Silva has to fight Weidman NOW NOW NOW and Silva doesn't fight him NOW NOW NOW he's ducking Weidman.

Shogun /Machida I - first blatant robbery I'd ever seen. So much so that it we he first instant rematch Dana gave.

Yup that was another one that had people going nuts.

I had 100 bucks on Machida though so I was happy with the robbery haha.

5. Anyone else that has gone to a decision vs Leonard Garcia
4. Nam Pham vs Leonard Garcia
3. Korean Zombie vs Leonard Garcia
2. BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar 1
1. Shogun Rua vs Machida 1

Those were the worst ...

edgar vs penn 1
rua vs machida 1
edgar vs bendo 2
maia vs anderson silva

Bisping/Hamill
Forrest/Rampage
Shogun/Machida I
Edgar/Bendo I - not so much for the decision itself but because it resulted in another rematch for Edgar

i think bad judging is always a problem, but there have been other issues that stir the pot.

Like Babalu holding the choke.
or
Lesnar antics
or
Rashad's crotch grab
or
Anderson Chael 1

It wasn't a robbery, it was a close fight
I thought judges made right decision

In my mind it has to be Diaz vs Condit. I've never seen a fight cause such a great deal of rehashing of similar arguments (from both sides) for so long. It's a discussion that seems to bring out the worst in posters so it got me wondering, if anyone knows of another fight that had a similar response from the fans.

Not so much controversial judge decisions I'm interested in, more so controversy caused by strategy or possibly incident.

What do you think Sherdog? Diaz vs Condit the worst in this respect? Or do you know of worse?

Guida vs. Maynard

How has no one mentioned Bas/Randleman? The only example of a guy fighting from his back actually getting the decisions, it was (and is) hugely controversial.

i think bad judging is always a problem, but there have been other issues that stir the pot.

Like Babalu holding the choke.
or
Lesnar antics
or
Rashad's crotch grab
or
Anderson Chael 1

Antics like these are the kind of things I'm looking for. Judging problems and robberies seem to be almost common place.

Diaz v Condit had no controversy other than stupid, uneducated, "just-bleed" fans who wanted Condit to stand in front of Diaz's 100 swatting punches.

Belfort v Couture--the eyelid punch that exchange titles: TKO or N/C?
Shogun v Lyoto--the 100 kicks over 25 minutes that the judges completely missed or dismissed.
Hughes v Newton--the double KO that could have redefined UFC WW history and Newton's career.

Diaz v Condit had no controversy other than stupid, uneducated, "just-bleed" fans who wanted Condit to stand in front of Diaz's 100 swatting punches.

Belfort v Couture--the eyelid punch that exchange titles: TKO or N/C?
Shogun v Lyoto--the 100 kicks over 25 minutes that the judges completely missed or dismissed.
Hughes v Newton--the double KO that could have redefined UFC WW history and Newton's career.

Diaz Condit did cause controversy regardless of who it caused controversy amongst. You cant have an argument with opposition.
Good examples by the way.

Back