The Fastest Internet Providers: Speedtest Awards

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
The USA finished 20th in the world in average internet speeds.
http://www.speedtest.net/awards/us
You can look at regions and even major cities for more detailed information, but below was our national chart for 2015:

USA
0gte2H.jpg

The most up-to-date charts for the broadband cable providers were printed at Hot Hardware today:
http://hothardware.com/news/us-internet-speeds-improve-but-the-country-ranks-only-20th-in-the-world
***Note: "Spectrum" is Charter***
small_Speedtest_Fastest_ISP.jpg

small_Speedtest_Average_Mobile.jpg

As gamers, we would be more interested in "ping" than any of these, so long as your speeds are above a certain minimum. Speedtest offers an arm of their service that specializes in that (although when you run a Speedtest from your browser or their app on your phone/tablet it will give you a general Ping reading):
http://www.pingtest.net/

Nevertheless, don't underestimate the need for such a minimum, especially for upload speeds, and especially if you live in a more rural area with inferior coverage. If your average upload speed is below 1.0 Mbps, as it is in many rural areas, for example, then that means your dips and nadir will probably be too low to supply your required data to the game server, and that means lag on your end (not on your opponent's end) which will overwhelmingly favor the player with the better connection since his connection isn't choked as the game spits out "flickers" of accurate information for your position, and not vice versa.

Otherwise, it never hurts to have the best download and upload speeds. Upload speeds tend to vary much more generously between providers than download speeds. For most users, you want the best download speeds. Even if the download + upload is better for a certain provider, then I would still gravitate towards the ISP with better download speeds.

Other than piracy upload groups I can't think of anyone who would care much about upload speeds outside of people who do a lot of multimedia work with the cloud where they're uploading a ton of content to the web. This seems like something that is more appealing to the mainstream on mobile networks when your smartphone camera is linked to the iCloud or Dropbox or Photo-hosting web services for pictures and videos, but the people who do really intensive work here probably spare their mobile networks the expensive bandwidth, and process the uploads via their broadband ISP's at home after transferring the data from the phone to a PC.

Obviously value may be a factor since these charts don't differentiate plans or their cost rates at all, and they don't offer very specific data on effective bandwidths outside major metropolitan areas. It's more of a generalized heads up.

Last edited:
What about the 60% of this forum that isn't from the USA.

You mean for the broader .com domain?

Dunno. Perhaps one excellent poster among the fractionalized ~40% that aren't from the USA, UK, Canada, or Australia could answer your question. I'd start with Google, myself.

Is there a relationship between upload and download speeds or are they completely seperate? Max download for my area is 106, I tested at 103. Max upload is 19, I tested at 6.

I doubt that 60% of this forum is outside the us. Probably more like 20 or 30% Besides Sherdog is a United States company that mainly revolves around the UFC, Bellator, and WSOF all WSOF which are other company's based out of the United States.

Also, for international posters who didn't follow my top link and see that you could easily switch the "country" for these greater end-of-the-year roundups to the UK, Canada, or Australia, there is also this:
http://www.speedtest.net/awards
Fiji, Ireland, Indonesia, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, Paraguay, Peru, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Thailand, and Trinidad & Tobago are also tracked by this website.
Is there a relationship between upload and download speeds or are they completely seperate? Max download for my area is 106, I tested at 103. Max upload is 19, I tested at 6.
Typically upload speeds with be around 1/5 of the max upload speeds, but it varies hugely. For example, in Sacramento, near me, check out the top two providers:

3YyuVt.jpg

That's a pretty glaring discrepancy. This gets to the heart of what I'm talking about with my OP. For gamers, I strongly doubt that 12.2 Mbps Upload speed would see dips that would result in a lag disadvantage (much more likely it will be dips in your ping), but that's only because 12.2 Mbps is WAY, WAY above the minimums of bandwidth relay that most games demand. But this is a metro area. In the outlying rural areas, many are stuck taking CenturyLink or AT&T plans that don't even have a broadband competitor, and whose promised theoretical bandwidth isn't even that high. I'm talking about 6 Mbps download plans that deliver 2-3 Mbps effective. For them, if operating with a similar discrepancy, then they would probably enjoy a better (competitive) multiplayer experience by choosing the service with superior upload speed.

But if I were in Sacramento itself, where the above chart is valid, assuming equal ping, and equal price, I would actually opt for Xfinity over CCI despite that CCI offers superior overall bandwidth if you find the sum of DL+UL. It would come down to the practical realization that I would never personally use that superior UL bandwidth, so I don't care about it.

Damn, no one is even close to xfinity. I used to have uverse and I thought that was awesome. My internet sucks now out here in Hawaii though

The numbers in the table don't match the chart? Anyways. I have Cox, and it is blazing fast.

I'm much more interested in that regional data than the national ones. Is there any way to include the US regions vs non-US Countries? A lot of the slowness of the US's overall internet is due to the extremely large amount of geography that has to be covered, which means far more rural areas are still sitting on DSL at best in many cases. I know people in the midwest who have 3 choices, DSL, 56k, or god forbid satellite internet. They don't even HAVE a Comcast to complain about.

I'm lucky enough to have Time Warner in an area full of old people and farmers. Which means I pay for 30, get 90-120 mbps due to lack of traffic. Suppose it could be faster, but I've never really reached the point where I'm waiting on downloads anymore.

Last edited:
I know Comcast gets a ton of shit but I pay 45$ for 150 mbps and it has only gone down on me twice.

Cox ftw. My family and I have had it for like 20 years. Great company.

The numbers in the table don't match the chart? Anyways. I have Cox, and it is blazing fast.
The top jpeg is the Speedtest Award 2015 chart. The Hot Hardware jpeg from below was the most up-to-date chart.
Cox ftw. My family and I have had it for like 20 years. Great company.
No doubt. They have NEVER throttled, and they have NEVER capped data or charged surpluses...ever. They also have never been caught routinely delivering less bandwidth than advertised for entire towns and cities (*cough* AT&T *cough*). They don't bait and switch. Their reputation is that of phenomenal reliability with service, and with repairs.

They're not after the pissing race. They were delivering 100Mbps plans back when 15Mbps plans were too cool for school. If you're lucky enough to live near a place that has Cox...yeah, at least give them a try.

The top jpeg is the Speedtest Award 2015 chart. The Hot Hardware jpeg from below was the most up-to-date chart.

No doubt. They have NEVER throttled, and they have NEVER capped data or charged surpluses...ever. They also have never been caught routinely delivering less bandwidth than advertised for entire towns and cities (*cough* AT&T *cough*). They don't bait and switch. Their reputation is that of phenomenal reliability with service, and with repairs.

They're not after the pissing race. They were delivering 100Mbps plans back when 15Mbps plans were too cool for school. If you're lucky enough to live near a place that has Cox...yeah, at least give them a try.
Xfinity does indeed capped data but only in certain markets. Fortunately they brought up the cap to 1tb

They laid some shit down in my neighborhood, it's ridiculous. I only pay 40$ a month and get this:

5539875934.png

I had Uverse and it was the fucking worst.

Now I have RCN and it's a god send. I should do one of those speed tests. Granted I have the midlevel speed which is like 55 mps.

even my parents living out in a bush village have better than 100/10 XD
They also have to worry about getting Ebola or eaten by lions.

Back