*** The FAQ Update Thread ***

Yeah that's one of the threads that Tosa linked so it will be in there.

Another suggestion:

Q: I only have a barbell at home, and no power rack or squat stands, what can I do?

You can do deadlifts, clean the weight and do front squats, or do dead stop zercher squats, like this guy: .

If you have a bench, you can use that to do squats.

^
And overhead work via power clean. And...power cleans.

I hope Tosa's post about explosiveness has been added???

Another suggestion:

Q: I only have a barbell at home, and no power rack or squat stands, what can I do?

You can do deadlifts, cleans/power cleans, clean the weight and do front squats, clean the weight and do overhead presses/push presses, bent over rows, or do dead stop zercher squats, like this guy: .

If you have a bench, you can use that to do bench press, or you can do floor presses (you can even use some planks to lie on and create greater ROM in your floor presses). You can use saw horses and do bottom squats, or otherwise improvise to create some type of platform/stands for the weights to rest on.

You can also practice your olympic lifts.

Fixed. I would probably omit the video myself.

Last edited:
Q: Why do you guys hate machines?

A: Machines require no stabilisation of the weight and will often force an unnatural path of motion, that can lead to injuries. This doesn't apply to machines without a fixed path (e.g. cable machines). Compound freeweight movements are infinetly superior to machines, especially those that are used for isolation movements. Some very few machines can be useful due to their specific function, like the reverse hyper or the glute-ham raise. Isolation machines do have uses for rehabilitation and correcting some imbalances, but the majority of your routine should be done on freeweights.

Q: Won’t lifting heavy things make me really slow and inflexible?

A: NO! This is an ancient piece of nonsense that seems to never die, weights will actually make you quicker and if allied with a good stretching program will actually make you more flexible. Be warned though, weights is just a tool and a lot depend on how you use it. Using limited ROM exercises or bodybuilding-style training as the core of your routine can indeed result in loss of speed.

Q: The training program says I should do an assistance exercise, what’s that?

A: Assistance exercises are designed to help improve a weak point on a main lift, a weak point in general, or to help towards injury prevention. Examples include using close grip bench presses to strengthen your triceps and therefore improve you bench press and using pause squats to help you with coming out of the bottom position of the squat, or using an assistance exercise for the biceptors if you think that will help with your grappling. Forum member Madmick started a thread on assistance exercises for the powerlifting big three - link

Q: What’s periodisation and how do I do it?

A: Periodisation is how you manage the weights you lift each workout, here are three links to different approaches to it.
Linear Periodization - T NATION | Periodization Bible - Part 1
Conjugated Periodization (Westside Method) - T NATION | Periodization Bible - Part 2
Undulating Periodizatoin - T NATION | Holiday Program
Relevant discussion thread: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/article-periodization-1217297/

Q: I’ve heard a lot of people mention kettlebells, what are they and are they worth getting?

A: Kettlebells are an alternative to a dumbbell, they have the handle placed away from the centre of the weight and this means they handle differently from a conventional DB. They can place a higher emphasis on grip and wrist strength and require greater coordination than doing the same movement with a DB.
sif2.jpg

They are much more expensive than a normal weight set and a lot of people argue that although there are benefits to their use they are not worth the ridiculous prices charged for them. Nor do they deserve the hype which surrounds them. To sum up these are a useful tool but are not the super, ultimate, all-singing, all-dancing solution to all your problem that some people claim they are. This article talks about the hype that surrounds them – link

There are ways to homemake one of these, here’s a thread which discusses doing just that – link
(fixed broken pic and broken link)

Changes in red.

EDIT: Also, I believe the p90x links don't belong in the S&P FAQ.

Last edited:
We could also use this one for the kettlebell pic: :)

brooks_kb_clean2.JPG

Bump. Thanks for the info guys, I'll update some of this today hopefully.

Updated grip section, added in vids of Shane Hamman, add in link to O-face oly lifts thread.

Updated with everything up to post #36.

Any more suggestions on changes or things to add? Any links for the end of the 3rd post?

Back