The eye poke thread

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Aegon Spengler, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Aegon Spengler

Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

Since Jon Jones's most recent fight just ended and he is on an eye poking streak that is almost as long and impressive as his win streak, I figured it would be a good time to do an eye poking thread. (If there are already lots of threads n this subject, that's Jon's fault and not mine.) To all the people who insist that Jon Jones is not a dirty fighter (HAH!) please post all the best gifs of eyes pokes that you can find. See if you can find anyone in MMA history who has poked more eyes, more often, than Jon Jones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've become annoyed at people who try to apologize for this tactic. How many "accidents" have to happen before people stop defending this brand of cheating? There is simply no way to deny that Jon either loves to poke people in the eyes or doesn't mind at all when he does. There is a clear pattern that has emerged here. He has poked almost every opponent he's faced in the eye at least once. How can anyone hope to claim that this is unintentional, or that it's the fault of his gloves, or some other ridiculous nonsense?

Jon Jones is has the most impressive resume in MMA history, but he's also an extremely dirty fighter.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  2. jmac98

jmac98 * Platinum Member

Bob Shrijber maybe.

3. ib313

ib313 Imagine a Dystopian UFC

JJ is a dirty fighter.

It's not his fault he's enabled.

The vast majority of people drive 5-9 mph over the speed limit on the highway. Cops don't pull us over so we keep doing it.

4. yookfarb

yookfarb Red Belt

He's getting better about it. Against Shogun and Rampage he would be constantly pawing at his opponents with fingers out of gloves.

These days it's something that only happens once a fight.

Idk how anyone can watch the Cormier fight and insist that it was a problem.

Also, Aldo/Mendes 2 was one of the most dirty fights ever, far more dirty than any of Jones fights

5. Flex Plexico

Flex Plexico customized Gucci accessories

Yeah, it just strikes me as a cheap tactic, and one that is pretty unnecessary what with his already crazy reach.

Just my take on it...

6. phatron

phatron Black Belt

Thread title should be "Another Eye Poke Thread"

There are 674 threads with the same gifs in the same exact order in the OP.

And you don't even have a gif from Jones v DC? You're barely even trying.

7. 5H3RD0G

5H3RD0G Silver Belt

GOATpoker player of all times no doubt. He has all the refs fooled but all fighters I know said clear foul. I think fighters should ref matches, they know the tricks refs don't know any of the fouls that go on.

8. Dr Retro

Dr Retro White Belt

Actually Pat Miletich said that its to do with the sparing training. When sparing with boxing gloves you can set distance by stretching your arm out and its a habit for many fighters not just Jon Jones if you pay as much attention. Everyone in you Gifs has probably eyepoked someone in their careers.

MMA gloves needs a serious redesign.

9. Th3Sav4ge

Th3Sav4ge "What the fuck is happening!?"

rampage should have threw a nut kick

10. jmac98

jmac98 * Platinum Member

With a boxing glove on his foot

11. Aegon Spengler

Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

Thanks for saying that, it's further evidence of an obvious pattern that only the craziest of people could try to deny. I don't even need to "try", to prove Jon Jones is a dirty fighter, that's saying something.

If you can find a DC eye poke gif feel free to post it, I can't find that one.

12. NakeWorks

NakeWorks Orange Belt

Couture used to say that Chuck was a "poker." Sorry, no sauce. I'm lazy.

13. The Cloud

The Cloud Orange Belt

Jones has one finger knock out power. His hands are deadly

14. Count Zero

Count Zero Twisting Nether

Huge difference between "has probably eyepoked someone in their careers" and someone with such a reputation for them that the announcers even said "There's the first eyepoke of the fight" when it happened to DC.

15. estranged

estranged Black Belt

hate to see those eyepokes, it ruins the fight for the fans watching too

16. Matt Hutchings

Matt Hutchings Blue Belt

[​IMG]

Possible solution could be switching the gloves so when the hand is extended horizontally the fingers face downwards:
    [​IMG]

Somehow I can't see the UFC ever admitting another organisation's gloves are better than theirs. Just look at the difference though, the Pride glove is a different glove entirely. It actually looks like some thought went into the design rather than putting some padding on a weight lifting glove.

17. jmac98

jmac98 * Platinum Member

Aren't one of the challenges they have is making a glove that the wrestling heavy athletes will buy into? I'm not a big follower of equipment and technology, but I thought one of the problems they had was the limitation of movement for grappling. They wanted the full extension/open finger concept, as taking away full movement hinders this aspect, no?

18. Matt Hutchings

Matt Hutchings Blue Belt

That's a good point that I didn't consider. I've never worn a Pride glove but it looks like it's flexible enough to straighten out easily with just the strength of your fingers. It's bigger but is it too big for the clinch game? Would the Pride glove have less grip in wrist control because less of the thumb and fingers are exposed?

I still think it would lead to less eye pokes overall simply because of the angle they sit at. The fingers being less exposed would possibly stop the "star fish" hand in someone's face (look how far apart Jones' fingers are in the Machida gif. With the Pride gloves I would imagine they can't be so spread out).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  19. jmac98

jmac98 * Platinum Member

I think it would help with the eye pokes, but hinder in other areas, which is what they're stuck on in terms of finding that common ground.

Again, I'm just going by memory, and I'm not terribly bright, so I could be off here. Luckily if I am, this community with light torches and hunt me down for the oversight.

Hey man, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

Cheers.

20. trblesome1

trblesome1 Silver Belt

TS is gotten to