The Excuses Have Started

Do you "fight fans" and "hardcores" really classify Nathaniel as a fucking welterweight ? Everybody knows it's basically two lightweights fighting at their almost walk-around weight.

Nate isn't a natural welterweight but the end of your statement couldn't be any more wrong

So the fight is at 170 again? That's lame as fuck! Conor gets destroyed either way but why are they forcing Nate to fight at 170 when he's clearly a LW?

Do you "fight fans" and "hardcores" really classify Nathaniel as a fucking welterweight ? Everybody knows it's basically two lightweights fighting at their almost walk-around weight.

Yes, when they are fighting above 155 they are a welterweight. Deal with it.

So the fight is at 170 again? That's lame as fuck! Conor gets destroyed either way but why are they forcing Nate to fight at 170 when he's clearly a LW?
Why is Conor fighting Nate at all instead of defending his title? Why is there a rematch for a fight that Nate won decisively on short notice? Nothing makes sense anymore.

I still don't understand is Rin Nakai moving to SW or staying at BW?

What excuse? Who's making the excuses? I don't understand. Why does a picture of Nate Diaz mean that excuses are being made?
Says he is a welterweight,

Also I read your comment in a confused old mans voice and it made me laugh

Yes they have. Conor is fighting at welterweight so he could have an excuse if he loses, just like the first time ("I fought the bigger, heavier man").

Nate's a monster WW, he could never make 155 unless he cuts a leg off.

Conor claimed he's bigger than RDA but after fighting Nate who fights in the same weight class as RDA, he became Mighty Mouse.

I remember all the threads on this board used to be about how McGregor is the same size as GSP, then he become too small to fight a 155 even though he dwarfed Aldo who dwarfed Frankie...

Conor was training for a fight at LW, so had that gone down, he would have been at LW weight.
The fight happened at WW, since Nate, who was a LW, didn't have time to cut to 155.
Conor moved up 1, not 2, 1 weight class from where he was at that time to fight a guy on 11 days notice.
Since their last fight, size should not be considered, and any non-sense about moving up a weight class is moot.
They're both welterweights now, since their last fight was at 170, and at weigh-in, they were close to even.
Each has had the same amount of time and prep to make the adjustments.
Probably won't change anything, but crazier things have happened.

Yep. He's afraid of losing his belt because he knows he'll never get another. He's doing everything he can to hang on to that fw belt without defending it.
In fairness, I do not think that is the reason for his reluctance to defend the belt rather than have the rematch with Diaz.
If I am correct, his motives aren't the most moral or respectable to some, and I wouldn't choose to live my life that way, but it is totally understandable and I can't say I blame him in the least.

It's all about the benjamins. I credit him with having figured out the path to the most money in the fastest possible way. Whether or not his persona has been crafted hand in hand with Zuffa or if he's got that knack but there is no doubt the path to the most money with the fewest fights is through a rematch with Diaz because BUILT IN EXCUSE.

Giving credit where it's due to Cabo Diaz, let's assume McGregor loses again... well, it was at WW, c'mon. The UFC has declared that no matter what happens, McGregor's next fight will be for the FW belt. Win or lose, McGregor makes another fuckton of money from all the people buying the hype. If he wins (and I will keep my opinions to myself on why that would be a near certainty,) well, it seems obvious he would immediately renew his campaign for a LW title shot, again with the fallback position of a FW title defense.

If he loses in his first FW title defense, he can blame everything from the weight cut to jet lag. He could still move up to LW with credibility among his fans for lots of big money fights, even a 3rd shot at Diaz. It's plain to see if he went back to FW immediately after losing to Nate, his credibility would take a hit and he would have a much harder time convincing the UFC to grant him another LW title shot without another fight at LW against some other opponent besides Nate.

tl;dr
He's so fucking greedy (and that's not always a bad thing in the prize fighting world) that he would rather potentially take another beating at Diaz weight before what would likely be a much easier fight at FW just to make lots and lots more money, than if he did it the other way around. He knows as well as anyone that on the night anything can happen and every time he fights at FW, there's that chance he could lose and destroy all credibility at any higher weight class among the die hards. The hype train would be permanently derailed with almost no chance of getting it back on track.

One is closer to being true though, this will be Nate's 6th or 7th fight at WW.

Before Conor, only 4 of Nate's 28 pro fights were fought at WW.

Diaz said that he was initially willing to make the cut to 155 for the first Conor fight until Dana starting dicking him around. Then Diaz said 'OK, you waited too long now it's a 165 lbs catchweight'. 170 was Conor's idea.

Diaz wanted this fight to be contested at 155. Conor demanded 170.

Some of you guys are hilarious. Diaz isn't even a huge LW. Sure, he's long and lanky, but there's more to size than length. Conor's got much more girth (and, see, now you all got me sounding like I'm comparing penises. Thanks.). RDA's prior to USADA was a much bigger dude than Diaz.

There is no significant size difference between these two fighters. The best fighter will win (again) and size won't play a meaningful role in the outcome.

And to agree with TS, if Diaz is being marketed as a WW for the buildup to this fight, than so does Conor.

I agree the welterweight stuff is bullshit but lets be honest here, One is a big lightweight and one is a big featherweight. Either man is large for their weight class and could fight higher but the fact is they are both a little undersized for next weight class up .either way there is one weight class between these fighters. Nate is much taller, bigger frame, heavier . Let's not pretend otherwise because it's pretty damn clear when you see both fighters together that Nate dwarfs him.

But you could say Conor is getting a taste of his own medicine as it's no different than him beating on the smaller fighters

I dont know why they dont weight in at 172 so we can all marvel that he went up 3 weightclasses

Before Conor, only 4 of Nate's 28 pro fights were fought at WW.

Diaz said that he was initially willing to make the cut to 155 for the first Conor fight until Dana starting dicking him around. Then Diaz said 'OK, you waited too long now it's a 165 lbs catchweight'. 170 was Conor's idea.

Diaz wanted this fight to be contested at 155. Conor demanded 170.
He's also missed weight by about 5 lbs against RDA.

I'm not sure why people keep arguing this point, Nate is clearly a good bit bigger than Conor, but as I've said, if you sign to fight that is not a valid excuse.

Size is not an excuse, if you take the fight you have agreed to the size difference.

But with that said, this is not a fight with both men walking around at there usual weight.

If anything I expect the size difference to be far more pronounced this time round as Nate now has enough notice to bulk up and cut to 170.

I get having this fight at WW so that if Conor loses it doesn't count against his standings at LW to a lot of people, but it puts Conor at a big disadvantage. At 155, they probably enter the cage about the same weight. At WW, Nate should definitely be a good 10 pounds heavier.

Pre-Diaz:

"I don't care about the weight, I'll run through the whole roster."

Post-Diaz:

"It was simply me fighting the bigger man."

The excuses actually started in his post fight interview.

No idea what this thread is about..

CUhBXXc.gif

This gets a like and a reply just because!!!

Back