The Evolution of CM Punk

Japanese Pro Wrestling is different. They actually train original catch techniques (shootwrestling). Americans haven't done anything like that for like 70+ years
looks like CM Punk's trainer was Ace Steele who was trained by Wiliam Regal, Dave Taylor and Fit Finlay, who are old school British wrestlers, bare knuckle boxers, etc. And Steele trained with Dick Murdoch, who knew the old catch style. It's possible some catch stuff came Punk's way.

Not enough to avoid an asswhipping however.

looks like CM Punk's trainer was Ace Steele who was trained by Wiliam Regal, Dave Taylor and Fit Finlay, who are old school British wrestlers, bare knuckle boxers, etc. And Steele trained with Dick Murdoch, who knew the old catch style. It's possible some catch stuff came Punk's way.

Not enough to avoid an asswhipping however.

Well I'm almost sure some of it did at least come his way, then. Did it rub off, though?

To answer that question-- have you ever seen that clip of CM during a certain pro wrestling match, trying to put a choreographed armbar on his non-resisting opponent? I don't have it or I'd put it in this post to illustrate. But to summarize it, it made a schnauzer pup trying to playfully hump a 7 year old's shoulder look highly technical and severely dangerous by comparison.

It's clear the "man" doesn't take learning the points of his own craft seriously, even. All the footage of his MMA merits so far look even less promising. At least he's consistent. Probably the least observant person I've witnessed at any job. Good luck to him- hopefully he retains his remaining functions after his latest indiscretion.

Well I'm almost sure some of it did at least come his way, then. Did it rub off, though?

To answer that question-- have you ever seen that clip of CM during a certain pro wrestling match, trying to put a choreographed armbar on his non-resisting opponent? I don't have it or I'd put it in this post to illustrate. But to summarize it, it made a schnauzer pup trying to playfully hump a 7 year old's shoulder look highly technical and severely dangerous by comparison.

It's clear the "man" doesn't take learning the points of his own craft seriously, even. All the footage of his MMA merits so far look even less promising. At least he's consistent. Probably the least observant person I've witnessed at any job. Good luck to him- hopefully he retains his remaining functions after his latest indiscretion.
Punk claims to have been a fan of the UFC since Royce Gracie, and has been training pro wrestling with people that know how to fight for 20+ years or at least has had immediate access to them and the opportunity to ask for training. You'd hope that he'd pick up some of it, if he indeed had a passion for it, with all that opportunity. But, he's either a really slow learner or just full of shit, because he looks terrible in any sparring I've seen of him.

Pro wrestling star CM Punk brings his unique skills to the UFC. From day one of his training camp to his home life with wife [April Brooks/AJ Lee] to unexpected setbacks, The Evolution of Punk follows the fighter on his journey to the Octagon.

Debuts Monday 08/15/2016 on FS1

UFC PRESENTS: THE EVOLUTION OF PUNK - The Ground Up
09:30 PM ET/6:30 PM PT

30 minutes

Series description: Four part documentary series following CM Punk for over a year as he transitions from professional wrestling to the UFC.

Wtf 45 second ad!?!

Someone ban TS!

I have nothing but respect, and best wishes for the man. He set out to attempt something very difficult. Alot of people scoffed. But it looks like he's finally actually going to fight.

And I never heard this guy's fucking name til it was reported by Zuffa.

I'd like to see him win, and that's my prediction. By decision.

This won't turn out well for him in any event I wish him the best.

He looked pretty freaking terrible. Honestly, worse than even I imagined, and I imagined pretty bad. He's only two months in at the end of the video, but it's enough to honestly tell me he probably won't have a long MMA career. His center of gravity and coordination is piss poor. He can correct some issues to the point he could maybe beat the lowest-level of pro fighters, but it will still take a hell of a lot of improvement that just isn't realistic in a year and a half for most people.

His BJJ looked especially bad though. I thought he had trained before, but he looked like he was a white belt with a couple stripes. I would say he would be in for a long night, but even with some solid improvement taken into consideration - this guy isn't making it past a couple minutes before he's locked in by Gall.

With that in mind, I hope this is the last time UFC decides to do this kind of freak experiment.

Back